Subaru Outback Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of October's Outback of the Month Challenge!
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
"Honey Badger" 2005 OBXT Limited 5EAT 108K+ miles
107 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
a little over a month ago, my A/C all of a sudden cut out. i took it to the dealer and i was about 1/2 full on charge. they charged it back up and it worked until about a week ago. it will work fine for about 1-5 minutes and then it will wimp out and you can feel humid air coming through the vents. i took it back to the dealer and they took a black light to it. they replaced two fittings that were apparently on their last leg and recharged. all was well and i left the dealer....only to have it wimp out on me again on my way home. it resumed the same symptoms. i've found that if i turn the car off or turn the A/C for a bit, it will work fine again for another 1-5 minutes before tapping out again.

the dealer says i need a new compressor. basically, i'm trying to determine if it is indeed the compressor or possibly another issue (a sensor maybe?) before i drop $800+.

any feedback would be greatly appreciated. thanks.

-WOZ

·
Registered
Onyx, 2008 LL Bean 3.0R and 2017 Honda Civic Hatchback Sport Touring
4,110 Posts
First thing I'd check or confirm with the dealer is whether it is still holding the gas charge. Depending on how the car was maintained and the environment where you live - hot/dry - some of the seals/O rings may have failed and are leaking. Though, that sounds like what the dealer checked, found, and repaired.

Next, crank it up to full blast with the hood opened and see if the compressor is engaging. It may be the compressor clutch as opposed to the entire unit.

Honestly not an AC tech, just a cheapskate who looks for the most obvious solutions first. When my '00 had a similar problem it was only a charge, luckily. I have read here about bad sensors and such, so you might get a cheaper answer here. Good luck.

·
Registered
OBW H6 VDC, Tribeca, XT6
12,385 Posts
compressor failure is very rare and unlikely.

i would check the current pressures in the system and report back what they are. is it currently properly charged?

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
my understanding is that the pressures were checked and the system was filled with charge both times i took it to the dealer.

·
Premium Member
(formerly) 03 H6 OBW , (presently) 06 WRX Sportwagon & 2021 Honda CR-V
18,656 Posts
ask them if they will refund your money if a new compressor doesn't fix it.

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
i took the car to another mechanic this past weekend because the symptoms just didn't add up to a compressor issue to me. it turns out i have a relay that was acting up. he pulled it out and showed it to me, then tried to order one. he could find an aftermarket replacement, but wouldn't be able to order it until monday. i went to the dealership and they said they'd have to special order it as well, and couldn't find the thing in their system.

anyway, since the "faulty" relay has been plugged back in (it's a blue 4 pronger), the A/C has been working without a hitch. i'm not going to order another one until it starts to act up again. either way, i went from $800+ to free for now and maybe $20 in the near future.

WIN!!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts