Subaru Outback Forums banner
  • Our 4th of July contest is live! Enter HERE for your chance to win a $400 Walmart gift card.
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Outback of the Month Challenge!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2014 Outback White 2.5 with 133,000 miles and still going.
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The A/C just stopped working in my 2014 Outback and the dealership told me the compressor died and it's about $1k to replace. My question is there any thing special about the A/C system like the Freon or how to charge it? I'm thinking about doing it myself. On a bright side they are only charging me $450 to do my timing belt. Thanks for the help!

·
Registered
2012 Outback 2.5 Limited
1,042 Posts
There's a lot to consider when doing a compressor replacement. You need to evacuate the existing refrigerant (and bring in for recycling). You then replace the compressor, and then set a vacuum to confirm no leaks. Then you introduce new refrigerant. It requires quite a bit of specialized equipment to either purchase or rent. Considering the compressor alone is $550 retail (https://parts.subaruonlineparts.com/oem-parts/subaru-compressor-73111aj03a/) the $1k isn't totally out of line for the dealership to charge. If you wanted it cheaper I'd recommend buying the compressor yourself and taking it to an independent shop (verify with them first they're willing to take your part).

The timing belt job is easier than the compressor job. If you want to save money DIYing it I'd start there. By the way - I thought the 2013+ were all timing chain, no? (My 2012 2.5 has a timing belt, but I haven't been paying too much attention to the engine update since then).

·
Registered
2014 Outback White 2.5 with 133,000 miles and still going.
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I have the tools because of a buddy but I was not sure if there is anything special. It sounds like I just may let the dealership deal with it. Thanks for the help.

·
Registered
2014 Outback Limited 2.5im 2012 Impreza Limited
74 Posts
My 2014 does not have a timing belt. I'm pretty sure they went to a timing chain in 2013. You do have an accessory belt, but $450 to change that? It would just be part of the compressor change-out. Add the cost of a new belt in addition to the compressor and refridgerant.

Hopefully the dealer is not trying to pull one over on you.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts