Subaru Outback Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of October's Outback of the Month Challenge!
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys, just bought a 2000 outback wagon and when I have the A/C on with the recirculate button pressed, a large black box under the dash sweats profusely. To the point that my whole passenger floor pan was soaked after a day of use. Any ideas or anyone had a similar problem?

·
Registered
OBW H6 VDC, Tribeca, XT6
12,385 Posts
Hey guys, just bought a 2000 outback wagon and when I have the A/C on with the recirculate button pressed, a large black box under the dash sweats profusely. To the point that my whole passenger floor pan was soaked after a day of use. Any ideas or anyone had a similar problem?
amazing how much water can end up down there huh? i'd get the carpet pulled up a bit and make sure it's aired out really good to prevent rust.

that's actually totally normal to generate that much water - it's supposed to drain out and under the car, but yours obviously isn't. water condenses there like it does on the sides of a cold class on a humid day.

there's a drain hose that attaches to the box - it is compromised in some way - clogged, loose, not properly attached, cut, etc.

make sure it's seated properly and if you have to pull it out, make sure nothing is wrong with it and clean it out, reinstall it properly. they are generally in fine condition since they don't really see much heat or corrosive automotive fluids.

they're really easy to remove, i can't remember much about it but i removed one last summer and it took just a matter of minutes and nothing more than really simple tools at the most. i don't even remember using any tools so it's not hard to get too. probably one plastic panel under the glove box and then that's about it.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the reply, rare occasion that I use it here but that puddle of water gave me a good scare. Does the carpet just come up if I pull up the plastic rocker panel cover?

1 - 3 of 3 Posts