Subaru Outback Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of September's Outback of the Month Challenge!
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
Outback '08 LL Bean Edition 2.5
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am having the situation that my ob 08 2.5i overheats when i use the AC.
What happens is a little complex, because it just happens when I do a long trip with AC, and then turn off the car, when i turn it on again then the temp gauge starts to raise up.

I changed the thermostat for a OEM subaru and I noticed that the radiator it isn't too hot when I touch it. Before change the thermostat it was getting so hot all the time, and i don't know why temp gauge raises if it isn't too hot. The coolant it is fine, is always at its full level.

Rad fans so far are doing their job, all the time, so then. What could be the problem? What's next I have to be looking at?

I appreciate your help.

·
Registered
2005 Outback VDC limited 3.0r
1,234 Posts
So you started having these problems after changing the thermostat? Are you sure you didn't install it backwards? And made sure all the air is out of the cooling system? If the radiator isn't getting hot than coolant isn't flowing through it. Using the A/C wouldn't cause overheating after a long drive.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
No, no. The problem was before change the thermostat. I was just describing how it was behaving after and before the change.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
So you started having these problems after changing the thermostat? Are you sure you didn't install it backwards? And made sure all the air is out of the cooling system? If the radiator isn't getting hot than coolant isn't flowing through it. Using the A/C wouldn't cause overheating after a long drive.
The coolant is flowing so far, the rad is basically new. It always takes coolant from the coolant deposit tank and fill it back.

·
Registered
2005 Outback VDC limited 3.0r
1,234 Posts
How did you bleed the cooling system of air? Another thing to check is to make sure the condesnor is free of debris that could hurt airflow through the rad. When was the rad changed and why, which brand? If the radiator isn't getting hot, than coolant is not circulating, regardless if it goes into/out of the overflow. The radiators job is to reject heat, if it isn't hot, it's not working properly. It could also be clogged internally.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts