Subaru Outback Forums banner

A/C pump on and off

2K views 5 replies 4 participants last post by  modifier 
#1 ·
My first post so hopefully i dont mess it up. My ac pump stays on at idle but cycles off and on while driving and doesnt keep the cabin cool as it should. It seems that even when i rev up engine past 1200rpm it starts to cycle on and off when i am in park. I do have the dual climate control.

#4 ·
Is the car new to you, or have you had it since new, and this is a change in the way the AC is operating?

As others have noted, the compressor will cycle to some extent. It could also cycle if there's a fault, such as low refrigerant, or if the evaporator is icing (does your car have a cabin air filter?). But it might also be worthwhile looking at this thread: http://www.subaruoutback.org/forums...essor-poor-ac-performance-check-ac-relay.html

And do some searching here; there are other threads about cycling compressors.

#6 ·
Thanks all for the responses. I will search for others who have had the problem. I have done some tests and the problem is after the AC clutch relay. If it was low refridgerant I would tend to think it would cycle on and off all the time even at idle. The clutch relay stays engaged all the time so what ever my issue is it is after the clutch relay.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.