Subaru Outback Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
2002 Subaru Outback LL Bean 3.0L

A/C stopped working and I found a bunch of information on this forum in regards to the rev sensor. I had a local mechanic test it and he determined that the rev sensor was bad. I can pick one up for around $100 at the subaru dealership. Is this an easy job? The mechanic drained the system. After looking at the A/C, it appears I could unbolt the compressor and swap out the sensor without opening up the system. Any input or advice would be appreciated.

Thanks
Will

·
Registered
19,398 Posts
The revolution sensor has been discussed in a number of different threads, but I don't recall any providing details about changing them, although I could be wrong. But I do recall members saying things such as "the garage changed the sensor", so it's doable.

I looked in the FSM's I have but didn't find anything specific to changing the sensor. However, attached is a TSB that has some info.

Also, do a word search here for "revolution sensor". There's a fair number of threads.

(Incidentally, I found the TSB by doing a Google search for "revolution sensor" and "Subaru". Sometimes a reply isn't immediate, but someone might be working on it.)

Attachments

·
Premium Member
(formerly) 03 H6 OBW , (presently) 06 WRX Sportwagon & 2021 Honda CR-V
18,665 Posts
you might check over at ultimatesubaru.org as well.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks. I have the TSB. The instructions call for removing the high and low lines. But it looks like you could unbolt compressor and swap out the Rev sensor without removing the lines. I have read several of the other threads, but no "how-to-do".

Thanks
Will

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I picked up the rev sensor yesterday ($95) and found the service manuals online yesterday as well. Had to remove the alternator and the compressor, although I kept the high and low pressure lines attached. The rev sensor was an easy swap. The service manuals definitely helped alot. Maybe 1.5 hours total, but probably could have been a little quicker if I had not doubted myself initially.
I need to pick up another can of refridgerant, the one I had was half a can, but the compressor clutch is now engaging and cool (not cold) air was blowing. I will update when I top off with refridgerant.
I should have taken a few photos to post

Will

·
Premium Member
18,665 Posts
I picked up the rev sensor yesterday ($95) and found the service manuals online yesterday as well. Had to remove the alternator and the compressor, although I kept the high and low pressure lines attached. The rev sensor was an easy swap. The service manuals definitely helped alot. Maybe 1.5 hours total, but probably could have been a little quicker if I had not doubted myself initially.
I need to pick up another can of refridgerant, the one I had was half a can, but the compressor clutch is now engaging and cool (not cold) air was blowing. I will update when I top off with refridgerant.
I should have taken a few photos to post

Will

even without the photos, good to know it can be done without opening the system.

·
Premium Member
18,665 Posts
When you remove the rev sensor you do open the system. But you can do it without losing any oil.

Will
oh - didn't know that. Does the sensor come with a new seal or is there an o-ring that needs to be replaced or something?

1 - 11 of 11 Posts