Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently had my AC fixed on my 05 Outback XT a week and a half ago and today I noticed there's water dripping under my dash on the passenger side...The water isn't draining where it's supposed too under the car near the passenger lower control arm. Is this a common issue? Or a possible blockage in the drain line? Thanks

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
18,296 Posts
Yes, the drain hose might be blocked; very common. Often insects get in and nest there. I use a wet-dry vacuum applied to the outlet end to make sure the hose is clear. A hard blockage might require probing with something that can be pushed up the hose a few inches.

Another possibility is that the hose became disconnected from the drain fitting on the heater/AC duct in the car. The hose comes up where the transmission hump and the front passenger foot well meet at the top of the carpet. Pull the carpet back from that corner and it should be visible, although the fitting itself will still be somewhat hidden.

There's a good number of threads/posts here on the same subject.

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I started squeezing the drain hose and water just started coming out right away I'll use a wet vac to get out anything that could be remaining inside the line

·
Registered
2006 Subaru Outback Wagon LLBean 3.0R Automatic
819 Posts
well done
I also solved a dripping front passenger footwell, by vacuuming the AC outlet hose. I got a bunch of water out of it and the issue has not come back in 7000 miles.

http://www.subaruoutback.org/forums/136856-post5.html
plain OM said:
attached photo of my MY07

If you have a wet-dry vacuum, you could try to bring the end of the vacuum hose to the drain outlet.

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I vacuumed out the hose this afternoon and pulled back the carpet and vacuumed the remaining water trapped there....I can see the water properly draining now! Wheww

·
Registered
03 H6 OBW & 06 WRX Sportwagon
17,706 Posts
be sure to check the cabin air filter, it may be breaking down if very old.

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
My AC is draining properly under my car since I cleared the blockage in the drain line..I pulled the carpet back on the passenger side to let the carpet and insulation dry out. However I noticed since I've got the carpet pulled back the condensation from the drain line is enough that it's resoaking all the insulation and I'm sure some amount of condensation on the drain hose especially inside the car is normal but enough to be soaking my insulation?

·
Registered
18,296 Posts
If the carpet etc was thoroughly dried out, I don't think there should be a lot of condensation on the outside of the drain hose such that it would soak the carpet or insulation in that area. Unless, the air in the car is very(!) humid to begin with. (The air going through the hose is essential what comes out of the vents, so it is cool, and with high humidity, that could be at or below the dew point.) But then, I've rarely actually checked to see if there's any moisture in that area after running the AC for some time so I shouldn't be too "certain".

Could there be a leak, perhaps where the hose attaches to its fitting on the HVAC duct.

·
Registered
2006 Subaru Outback Wagon LLBean 3.0R Automatic
819 Posts
I pulled the carpet back on the passenger side to let the carpet and insulation dry out. However I noticed since I've got the carpet pulled back the condensation from the drain line is enough that it's resoaking all the insulation
my guess is what you are seeing is all the water that was accumulated from the original leak

I tried reading your post carefully and I don't see if you confirmed that your insulation was bone dry before you noticed what sounds like a new leak

fwiw, when I pulled my carpet back, the insulation was definitely soaked through, the carpet is stained, and I could see droplets of water on a bit of exposed metal. If this is what you are seeing, don't despair.. get a shop vac.. pull as much water as you can..

I actually plugged in a small heater and pointed it at the footwell.. some of the water was all the back behind the passenger seat into the rear footwell too..

don't worry, be happy, you fixed the problem, you're just dealing with cleaning up the mess still

Im not hearing signs of a new leak, hopefully :)

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Well I didn't notice the problem until Saturday when I got to my friends house and my entire passenger side carpet was soaked...So I pulled the carpet back and vacuumed as much as I could out and unplugged the drainage line. As far as I know the insulation was wet when I pulled the carpet back. Fast forward to this morning I pulled another panel down that's under my glove box and there was water dripping everywhere....I haven't had any of these issues until I had my air conditioning fixed 2 weeks ago.

·
Registered
18,296 Posts
....I haven't had any of these issues until I had my air conditioning fixed 2 weeks ago.
What was the problem with the AC and how was it fixed? Did it involve the components in the cabin (ducts, evaporator, fan etc) or was it all done in the engine compartment?

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I should note I had the dealer do the work for me and I Provided the parts...prior to that the AC hadn't worked for a year

·
Registered
18,296 Posts
the AC hadn't worked for a year
According to your posts, the car was new to you just about a year ago. Did the AC ever work since you got it?

I pulled another panel down that's under my glove box and there was water dripping everywhere....
Can you expand on "everywhere"? Is it dripping from above the bottom of the HVAC ductwork? If the water is apparent higher up, I wonder if it could be an external leak into the cabin, not related to the AC. Has it been raining; gone through a car wash recently?

Otherwise, it could still be condensate from the evaporator, but that would suggest the HVAC duct work or the position of the evaporator isn't right. It's normal for water to condense on the evaporator, but when it drips down off the evaporator, it should end up flowing to the drain hose outlet. Perhaps some work was done there before you got the car or during the latest work, and it wasn't reassembled properly. Or, perhaps it's something simpler, e.g., the drain hose isn't fitted fully on the drain outlet, and some of the condensate is going down the tube while the rest is dripping out into the cabin area.

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
AC hasn't worked in the car since I bought it...nor has water been leaking in the cabin during my year of ownership. Yeah it's been raining here on Cape Cod the past couple days and I'm aware of this generation Outback developing a leak in the firewall I believe that allows water to leak into the cabin. This morning when I arrived to work I looked under my passenger side dash directly under the glove box and saw water dripping everywhere. The bottom of the blower motor and the wiring under dash. Could very well be rain water leaking into the cabin...my apologies for the bad picture it was early in the morning and I just got to work but that area the blower motor and the wiring under the passenger side dash is where I saw water leaking

·
Registered
18,296 Posts
Could very well be rain water leaking into the cabin
That's a possibility. Although, on second thought, if there hasn't been any leakage in the past year with the AC not working, it's somewhat less likely.

It's possible that, after vacuuming, the drain is allowing some water to drain down, but perhaps it's not really clear. If it's been raining a lot with high humidity, the AC could be producing a lot of water that is backing up. If you've noticed the water only while/after running the AC for some time, then this remains a more likely source.

There's a photo of the top end of the drain hose in this post, in case you might want to test/blow out the hose from above.

Also, see this video:

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Okay...thanks for the all the input! I did vacuum out the drain line best I could but there could still more blockage

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Just an update I did vacuum out my drain line and I heard something get sucked right out. I let the car run for almost an hour with the AC running and there's no more water leaking into the car at all...I've left the carpet peeled back and I have vacuumed as much water from the carpet as I can...any suggestions to rid my car from the moldy smell? I've used resolve and my steam cleaner and shop vac to get as much of the smell out but the mold smell is still lingering in my car

·
Registered
18,296 Posts
..any suggestions to rid my car from the moldy smell?
Is the carpeting etc fully dried out? Is there actually mold there, or is it just the musty smell of wet carpet and insulation? Maybe the smell will dissipate when everything is finally moisture-free.

I would imagine there are others here who have had the same experience. Have you tried searching the forum? Also, shops that specialize in interior cleaning/detailing etc., would probably know what works.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts