Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
After buying my OB mid September, I received late last week a renewal bill, which stated an expiration date of the trial as mid-December. No surprises there, this error is well known and understood. In fact, I wouldn't worry that much if I didn't get the 4th month ... SiriusXM is nice to have, but I'd never pay anything close to what they ask for a subscription, so I think I have to learn to live without it sooner or later.

Anyway, I decided to look online at Sirius to see if there were an easy way to contact them, like through an email, to ask them to change my date (again, I didn't think it worth my time to call them). I found that my account now lists my expiration as March 2013! I've read in another forum entry that when they fix this problem, they can't do anything but incrementally add 4 months, so I think they must have added 4 months to the 2 months I've already used it, giving me 6 months free. What a deal!

As a side bonus to logging on, I was able to change my phone number. The last new car I bought had a Sirius radio, and when the free trial expired they called relentlessly to get me to renew; even when I'd answer and tell them no and ask them to stop calling, they continued to call multiple times a day for months. Anyway, I was able to change my contact info with them to a work phone number that I have that I only call out on ... it never rings. So, their dialer can now call me to it's heart content. :cool:

·
Registered
683 Posts
Yeah, I think they did a mass upload of 2013 Nav radio ID's and reset everyone to sometime in March.

FWIW, if you call and dicker with them, you can score a $86/year (plus tax, royalty fees) deal if you hem and haw.

·
Registered
1,495 Posts
I haven't registered XM and don't intend to use it; however, I get weekly calls and almost daily emails requesting that I confirm my email address -->> Junk/Spam mail automatically.

·
Registered
604 Posts
Registered online with SiriusXM last week and have had no issues. My 4 month sub is correct and I do plan to renew but only if I can achieve a price I can live with.
We use that radio feature all the time and for us it is worth it. Traffic is of no real value to us however and we will renew that...

·
Registered
466 Posts
I had to call to get mine switched to 4 months. My car was purchased on 7/20 but i got a notice saying it was expiring 10/23, so I called and got it extended. It will be interesting to see on the 23rd what happens.

·
Registered
2,128 Posts
It may be fixed for some but my Subaru/XM problem continues. I purchased my OB on 8/13/12 and within a few days noticed my XM account only was showing 3 month trial without nav/traffic. Everytime I tried to straighten it out with XM they blamed Subaru. Everytime I called Subaru they tried to fix it with a call to XM but never accomplished anything. Fast foward to now, my 3 month trial is over my cc has been billed (ha, ha they will never get that), and I never had my nav/traffic trial. After reading some of the above posts about Subaru doing some kind of data dump to XM I thought I would call Subaru again. Subaru acknowledged that that they sent a bunch of bad codes to XM and are in the process of fixing it. They initially tried to fix my problem back in August as a one off before they realized the scope of their problem. They offered to cut me a check for nav/traffic for a year if I subscribed and sent them a receipt. Problem is I can't add xm/traffic to my radio ID online and when I call XM tells me it is not nav/traffic equipped. Now it's back to Subaru to find out why they reported my car as not nav/traffic equipped. Just of of curiosity can anyone tell me what nav/traffic costs?

·
Registered
228 Posts
Finally remembered to look up my Radio ID and register with an account. Looks like I'm immune from all the trial period issues I've been hearing about. I see a 4-month trial of both radio and traffic showing up just fine (I bought in October, so the 4-month is November, December, January, February)

Holy Bollocks their online pricing is steep! $14.50 a month for the 130 channel package, plus an additional $4/month for traffic!

·
Registered
2,128 Posts
Finally remembered to look up my Radio ID and register with an account. Looks like I'm immune from all the trial period issues I've been hearing about. I see a 4-month trial of both radio and traffic showing up just fine (I bought in October, so the 4-month is November, December, January, February)

Question. Do you just see the one radio Id on your account or does nav have its own?

·
Registered
2,128 Posts
One radio ID - the nav is my first and only SiriusXM device.
For some reason they keep telling me my radio is not compatible with nav/traffic. On a long shot I thought maybe the nav had its own ID and mine somehow was missing so the account was only showing the radio ID. But I guess that's not the case.

·
Registered
44 Posts
I had just let my free trail expire over the summer as I wawsn't going to pay the higher price. Fast forward 5 months and I just signed up for an offer for $25 for another 6 months.

·
Registered
11 Posts
....I just signed up for an offer for $25 for another 6 months.
Greetings,
My trial period is up next week and I received 2 calls to renew. Based on the info from this forum I am reluctant to give them my credit card number because of thei rautomatic renewal policy.
I told the first representative that I wanted a paper bill and he said he couldn't do that so I passed on renewing. The second rep said she could arrange paper billing but there would be a $2 additional one time charge.
I accepted that offer.
YMMV,
b.

·
Registered
89 Posts
Greetings,
My trial period is up next week and I received 2 calls to renew. Based on the info from this forum I am reluctant to give them my credit card number because of thei rautomatic renewal policy.
I told the first representative that I wanted a paper bill and he said he couldn't do that so I passed on renewing. The second rep said she could arrange paper billing but there would be a $2 additional one time charge.
I accepted that offer.
YMMV,
b.
Good luck. Whether you have paper bills or not, whether they have your credit card or not, whether you have records of what they promised, they will charge you without your permission, threaten you with collection, deny anything they told you, and otherwise make your life a living ****. This is just my opinion, in case they decide to try to sue me to intimidate me. I have had to threaten them with lawsuits and complain to the BBB and the State Attorney General to get them to back off. They are scum, again in my opinion.

·
Registered
2,128 Posts
Out of the blue I just received a call from SOA. It's been approximately 4 months since I called them complaining that I only had a 3 month trial instead of the 4 on my window sticker. They wanted to let me know they are still working on it and I will eventually get my 4 month trial with traffic. Good thing I don't need something more complicated like a CVT replacement. Hey, you think I should ask for a loaner with working XM and traffic until they fix it. ha, ha

·
Registered
683 Posts
Good luck. Whether you have paper bills or not, whether they have your credit card or not, whether you have records of what they promised, they will charge you without your permission, threaten you with collection, deny anything they told you, and otherwise make your life a living ****. This is just my opinion, in case they decide to try to sue me to intimidate me. I have had to threaten them with lawsuits and complain to the BBB and the State Attorney General to get them to back off. They are scum, again in my opinion.
I've been a customer of XM since 2003. There was a short period of time I did without it because they wouldn't give me the price I wanted. So I shut them off.

When I renewed, they sent me a radio I didn't ask for. They billed my CC for it. So, I called them. They said ship it back, no problem.

I ship it back on their dime. They never get it. After several calls, they still wouldn't reverse the charge.

So, I dial up Citibank. Before you know it, BAM. Taken care of. See, Citibank reverses the charges first, then asks questions later.

Now, I don't worry about it. I call up XM a month or so before I'm set to expire and end up with a pretty good yearly rate (this time, $86 for the year - has been $77 for several years).

·
Registered
199 Posts
So, my trial is up in a few weeks and I get an offer in the mail yesterday offering 6 months for $29.94. That's about what it would be worth to me, but I decided I didn't want to go through the song and dance every 6 months to keep a reasonable rate. Also, after a complete read through of their terms of service, I'm not sure they are a company I want to do business with. Geez, a $2 admin fee to send you an invoice if you pay by check. Are you kidding me?

If they want to offer me a year's service at $75 (total) that does not automatically renew unless I request it, then I might reconsider. I doubt that would be offered so I loaded up a bunch of new channels to stream through Aha. That plus about 40GB of music on my iPad should provide all the entertainment I need.

·
Registered
683 Posts
Unless they're pressed to sell, the best you can get right now for 1 year is $86 + artist fees bringing it to about $94. And it will auto renew.

·
Registered
199 Posts
Unless they're pressed to sell, the best you can get right now for 1 year is $86 + artist fees bringing it to about $94. And it will auto renew.
I could probably talk myself into that price but not the auto renew. Meanwhile I've been adding stuff (stations) to Aha and I really don't think I'll miss sat radio.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts
About this Discussion
22 Replies
12 Participants
EFT
Subaru Outback Forums
Welcome to the Subaru Outback Owners Forum, we have tons of information about your Subaru Outback, from a Subaru Outback Wiki to customer reviews.
Full Forum Listing