Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
2006 Outback 2.5i
119 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My car has two "age" issues I suppose for this model and year--97 Legacy Outback with 102,000 miles. One is a very annoying metallic rattling/vibration sound coming from underneath that I have been told is the heat shield. I have tried over and over to have people take care of this to no avail.
The second is that damned piston slap apparent in the 97 2.5l engine that sounds like a ticking coming from the engine bay when accelerating when the engine is cold.
Has anyone experienced these problems? How did you solve them? They don't impede my ability to drive the car, but they are extremely annoying and not exactly pride enducing as I drive along busy streets.

·
Super Moderator
2007 Outback H6 LL Bean - Champagne Gold Opal
6,009 Posts
My '97 has neither of those issues, so I can't be much help.

There are any number of things under the car that could cause rattling...get under there and make sure all the screws, bolts, etc are tight, I don't really know what else to say about that.

I think that piston slap issue has been brought up elsewhere at the site. Do a forum search for "slap" or "piston" and see what kind of results you get.

·
Tokyo's between my toes
2001 Wintergreen Outback 5MT
6,684 Posts
Get under the car and bonk the exhaust with a mallet to see if you can make it rattle, and find the source.

·
Registered
Formerly 04 Outback 3.0R VDC, now 2011 Mitsubishi Pajero GLS DiD
1,617 Posts
The_Lizard said:
Get under the car and bonk the exhaust with a mallet to see if you can make it rattle, and find the source.
Good idea, however I thought "bonking" was slang for having sex :D

·
Registered
2006 Outback 2.5i
119 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Inappropriate

Just for the record, I will not be "bonking" my Subaru.

However I did briefly go underneath today (sans mallet), but was unable to locate the source of the vibration. I can here something clunking from under the car whenever I hit a bump, so I'm assuming (hoping) they're related.

Ahh, such is life.

·
Super Moderator
2007 Outback H6 LL Bean - Champagne Gold Opal
6,009 Posts
Could be your Struts are dead. Mine rear ones are, and even while driving on smooth roads, I hear tons of banging and clanking.

Do you notice the sound coming from any particular section of the car? front, rear, left, right?

·
Registered
2006 Outback 2.5i
119 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
clanking

It's difficult to pinpoint the sound, but I tend to hear it more clearly from the right side. It'll make the noise when my front and rear wheels hit a bump. My handling is still pretty tight and level with no rocking when braking, so I'm assuming it isn't the struts. The vibration noise has seemed to even become more pronounced in the past few days. It'll sound upon initial acceleration, then at 1750RPM, and then randomly. It'll be consistantly vibrating if I'm cruising along at 1750.
I need to take it in to Subaru to have new rear rotors put on, so I'm going to be a little more emphatic about them taking care of it perminantly.

·
Registered
194 Posts
Jondalar said:

Good idea, however I thought "bonking" was slang for having sex :D
Slang, yes. But not a term that is commonly used here in the States.

·
Registered
181 Posts
Re: clanking

BBerry4430 said:
The vibration noise has seemed to even become more pronounced in the past few days.
Ya gotta bonk it..:D

tbert

·
Registered
Formerly 04 Outback 3.0R VDC, now 2011 Mitsubishi Pajero GLS DiD
1,617 Posts
Hmmm doesn't really sound like a strut problem then, had a dead strut on a new Mazda 626 once and it took the dealer three tries and still they didn't find the fault, eventually my dad jacked the front wheels and physically checked for freeplay and voila the left front had in out movement at the top and bottom of the wheel. It was making a weird clunking and handling did suffer.

As for bonk, it's not commonly used here in Oz either anymore, I was just trying to be funny...

·
Registered
'99 OUTBACK AT Green
14 Posts
BBerry4430 It's difficult to pinpoint the sound, but I tend to hear it more clearly from the right side. It'll make the noise when my front and rear wheels hit a bump.
I think I have similar problem !

I spoke with Subaxtreme and they seam to think that because that i have heavy duty springs in, that the struts are being fully extended and hitting on their stops internally
this is not the first time that ihave heard or read similar advice
the first time i heard the noise I thought it sounded like the outside cover of a shocky that had come loose
I have checked all sheilding and disc covers? and nothing else appears to be loose

·
Registered
2006 Outback 2.5i
119 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Oye, that's a different clunk. I have that one too, but accepted it as one of the many odd "Subie foibles."
I noticed yesterday that the shaking of whatever the heck is loose down there does not happen when I'm braking. Now I'm not Mr. Goodwrench, but I don't think that the back rotors shake loose when they need to be replaced. So I may be taking care of that sooner than expected.

So as for Subie foibles...let's start a list and send it to Subaru and be like "alright guys, these are cute and all for your quirky lil' company, but how about we go ahead and find out why there are so many."

So I have :
1.) Piston slap in cold weather in the 2.5L (I've read many complaints on this one)
2.) The aforementioned steering clunk while turning and hitting a bump (I think all Subes do this)
3.) Heat shield vibration (I noticed my girlfriend's 99 Impreza doing it too, and a neighbor's 95 Legacy L sedan)
4.) (add any you like...)

btw...I still love my car.

·
Registered
194 Posts
The_Lizard said:
5. Head gaskets!!!
+1 Did you take yours to Subaru yet Alex?

1 - 16 of 16 Posts