Subaru Outback Forums banner

a couple questions

1K views 10 replies 8 participants last post by  vtmecheng 
#1 ·
I have the 2-year maintenance deal where the dealer covers all maintenance for the first 2 years. However, I prefer to change my own oil and rotate my own tires. Do you think it's possible the dealer will give me the oil/filter and let me do it myself?

I've been looking at trailer hitches. For several reasons, I'd like the hitch to be as high as possible. It seems the factory hitch sits the highest. Are there other hitches that come out through the bumper, rather than sit below it? Are there any good reasons not to get a factory hitch (other than cost)?

Thanks.

#2 ·
If you want a 2inch receiver which has the widest range of add on options regarding attachments then after market is your only choice. Use Search there are several very informative hitch threads.

As for clearance if thats your concern even my 2inch hidden hitch was nearly 3 inches higher than my stock hitch on my 93 Landcruiser with 34inch off road tires on it. The tow bar hanging down is the least of your worries if you are able to find rough enough terrain to contact the hitch that hangs down more than the stock bar. The difference is about 2inches or the thickness of the receiver. I prefer the hitch that hangs down easier to access regarding pins for the hitch and it protects the soft flimsy bumper if you do find the limit.

The flush fit hitches there are two the OEM hitch and the Torklift hitch. Both are very costly and when you find the limit it will be the flimsy and expensive bumper cap you end up tearing off the back of the car vs simply removing a little paint on a solid piece of steel.

#3 ·
Can't hurt to ask. I don't know if dealers use bulk oil anymore. They may not want to give you more expensive quarts. If you paid for it see if you can get a refund.

The only complaints I have heard about the factory hitch are cost, 1 1/4"receiver and possibly smacking your shin as it sticks out a bit.

#10 ·
The only complaints I have heard about the factory hitch are cost, 1 1/4"receiver and possibly smacking your shin as it sticks out a bit.
These are the 3 reasons I went with an aftermarket Hidden Hitch. And I don't want to cut a hole in my bumper guard. :29:

It won't hurt to ask for the items. At best they are saving money on labor. If they do use bulk oil, take in an empty 5QT jug and have em fill it up.

#4 ·
If you really want the most clearance between the ground and your hitch the OEM one is your best option. Make sure you won't be using it for a hitch mounted tray or certain kinds of bike racks. A lot of the bike rack companies now make 1.25" hitch rack options but only some can be used and it's rare they will fit more than 2 bikes (Thule has a couple 4 bike options for a 1.25" hitch). For just towing the OEM one will work just fine for you.

#5 ·
Wear shin guards when walking around the back of the car also. #1 Reason my mother 65yrs old decided to put the hidden hitch on her 2010 legacy for her bike rack - she looked at the stock OEM one on another car at the dealer and said **** no to the receiver sticking out of the bumper.

#11 ·
It's funny that every time we talk about hitches, which is often around here, the idea of bashing shins on the OEM hitch comes up. Growing up we always had hitches on our cars but they were a permanently mounted, chromed steel bar that stuck out behind the bumper with a hitch ball. In the 18 years of living with these vehicles no one in my family ever hit a shin on the hitch. Maybe we were just lucky but I think you get used to things. Sure it can happen but for me that's not the reason to go with a certain hitch. To each their own. I am not trying to say others are wrong, just providing a different perspective. If you are worried about hitting your shin on the hitch go with a Hidden Hitch or Uhaul. If you want the most ground clearance get the OEM hitch.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.