Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
About a week ago, my wife hit a deer on her way to work in the car we were planning to pass to my son next year. (How many people you know only run full synthetic in their Hyundai Elantra?) Made me sick, the car ran great, didn't use oil w/116k, had new tires, etc... Anyways, our insurance company looked at the Elantra and deemed the $6500 damage totaled it! Well now she needed a new car quick. I talked to Gary Sikes at Subaru of Gwinnett, where I had bought cars from before. He said they had not yet received any Crosstreks, but did have their first few on a truck headed to them. Only 1 was a limited, a venetian red pearl w/o the sunroof/nav.package. I said we'll take it. Wife loves it. To me, I wish they offered it with a turbo. Its slow & loud compared to my 3.6. It doesn't get the 33mpg told on the hwy either, she's been getting avg of 26-27 with 90% of her commute being hwy. The electric steering doesn't have much feel. I'm liking the cvt, though some people hate them. It drives really smooth. It has good room inside, cool wheels & good brakes. I added the speaker upgrade kit. The radio head unit is annoying because it doesn't let you adjust anything while the car is moving..ugh. Overall, a great small suv for the money. I'm waiting to see about the 2014 Forrester Turbo possibly for myself....

·
Registered
347 Posts
Glad to hear your wife is doing well! Also, congrats on your purchase. My wife loves the XV but we don't want two car payments at this particular moment. Comparing base model XV with base Forester, the latter wins with 30HP more and cost $700 bucks less. That's just looking at the numbers!

·
Registered
223 Posts
I have driven past CVT's, Ford Freestyle (i think that is what it was (CUV)) 2 different model years 2005 and 2008 and both CVT's were slow, rubberbandy, and just plane flat. I have also driven a couple others, but they escape my memory, but were very simular. I drove a 2012 impreza as a service loaner not to long ago and the CVT in that was very impressive. It was extreamly reactive to throttle input, fun, and agile. The big differance I have seen in my research is that most other brands us a belt to run their CVT's and Subaru uses a Chain.

·
Registered
1,220 Posts
They can't keep these on the lot around me. I can't even get a test drive as all that come in are sold before they get there.

I would prefer the diesel.

I am waiting on the Forester but IMO has always looked weird and ugly.

·
Registered
766 Posts
Sharp looking snowbunny. That clearance should get you down the iffier roads. The thing has got to be safer than the Elantra The CrossTrek AWD MPG is marketed as the best available outside the non-lifted Impreza CVT model. I can't imagine a 2.5 OB is beating the CrossTrek in MPG. Maybe it will improve with a few miles or max inflation on the tires. You can pour synthetic in its banger too if you choose! Sounds like at least the CVT is meeting expectations.

Diesel would be awesome here stateside. But we'll be singing that tune until either h#!! freezes or Greenland melts (in which case Diesels won't be an option).

·
Registered
466 Posts
33 may or may not happen. I am actually getting .5 mpg better in my 2013 OB than in my 2012 Impreza I traded. It's much easier to achieve the better mpgs too. I saw 33-34 in my impreza rated at 36 on hwy and combined was 25.5-27.

On a recent trip in my Outback, I averaged 34 on the highway no problem at 70-75.

·
Registered
766 Posts
33 may or may not happen. I am actually getting .5 mpg better in my 2013 OB than in my 2012 Impreza I traded. It's much easier to achieve the better mpgs too. I saw 33-34 in my impreza rated at 36 on hwy and combined was 25.5-27.

On a recent trip in my Outback, I averaged 34 on the highway no problem at 70-75.
Strong argument for the stripped 2.5 CVT OB vs the loaded impreza.

Prius or OB 2.5? Snow - OB. MPG - PRISSY. That comparo is a toss up for utility if you can compare apples to oranges. What do you sacrifice?

Best I have done in the 3.6 is 31.6 over 700 miles that I remember, but that may be stretching it. 20-24 combined. Worst was about 17.5-18:28:. Short trips and hard start stop urban driving.

·
Registered
1,970 Posts
The car is basically a lifted Impreza Sport but some will disagree. 3 more inches of GC and supposedly a beefed up suspension. The problem with this car and in the Impreza is you have to drive it like grandma to get close to the EPA ratings. I have not seen over 22 city and thats strictly city no more than 2 miles and I drive fast. More undercoating and better tires will help the noise but they are not that quiet. It's a 20k car you get some noise. The positive is they handle great and have one of the most compliant rides out there for a small car/suv. As far as the 14 Forester, the base version looks like another Impreza sibling but the Turbo version looks good with it's new 250hp DIT engine and some other goodies, at least in Japan. But it will be bumping up against that 30k + price range.

·
Registered
842 Posts
One thing to keep in mind, Sheepdog, is that the new cars don't get their best mileage for a couple of tanks of gas. Most reports here say that the mileage improves as you get upwards of 1000 miles. Keep an eye on it as you break it in.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Thanks for the comments. And yes, my wife is fine. She was mad the deer ran out in front of her & tore her car up. I didn't have time to go get it and take him to the processors though :) I did tell my wife that the Crosstrek needs to break in a couple thousand miles to actually see what mpg we'll be getting. As far as engine power, I'd say it is adequate. It is quiet enough on the highway. The engine gets pretty loud when accelerating. So much, it makes you want to baby it. Overall, a good car for the money and she loves it. I merely like it.

·
Registered
91 Posts
Happy to hear your wife is OK and she is happy with her new Subaru. In June I got a 2012 Outback for my wife. Best trade I ever made!:D

·
Registered
22,836 Posts
Cross trek vs OB is an easy one for the mother inlaw shopping cars right now. The Crosstrek fits in her garage the OB doesn't. Small condo single car garage more like kinda single car garage the Crosstrek would be a snug fit OB would be an exit via sun roof or rear hatch only sort of garage parking job.

Not to mention limited XV is cheaper than the limited OB. Both good reasons for some people

1 - 20 of 32 Posts
About this Discussion
31 Replies
23 Participants
rasterman
Subaru Outback Forums
Welcome to the Subaru Outback Owners Forum, we have tons of information about your Subaru Outback, from a Subaru Outback Wiki to customer reviews.
Full Forum Listing