Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
'03 outback limited, '01 Outback Limited, '01 Legacy L wagon, '96 Legacy Brighton wagon
2,182 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Before I finish buttoning up the timing belt stuff on my '01 2.5, I just want to double check that I have the marks all correct - they look to be correct, but there are a couple small discrepancies that I need to check. Pictures attached.

Aisin kit, Mitsuboshi belt.

First pic is of the LH bank pully. The cam sprocket looks to be aligned correctly according to the marks from whenever the belt was replaced previously, though maybe rotated slightly to the left. The mark on the timing belt is NOT directly over either a belt tooth top or base, but somewhere in between.

The timing mark at the crank looks correct. ( Pic 2)

The RH bank belt mark lines up with the pully mark correctly, but both are rotated slightly to the left, but not a full tooth width. (Pic 3)

Does this look correct or am I off a tooth somewhere?

Another question - I had planned on replacing the camshaft seals, but discovered that I bought the wrong wrench to hold the sprockets while loosening the bolts. I can make a wrench easily enough, so that is not a problem. The question is whether or not at 168K miles replacing the seals is worth it or not.

Attachments

·
Registered
2000 Subaru Outback Limited Sedan, 2.5L
163 Posts
Did you pull the pin on the tensioner already? If not, you'll probably find once tension is applied the cam gears will line up. I experienced the same issue when I did my head gaskets about a month ago. You could always push down on the timing belt next to the pulley and duplicate applying tension. See if the gear moves. Tons of videos on YouTube regarding Suby timing belt install, but I suspect you're probably ok.
Can't speak about the camshaft seals; I never replaced them.

·
Registered
03 H6 OBW & 06 WRX Sportwagon
17,624 Posts
pull the pin, rotate the crank with a wrench ,2 times around to bring all the marks back up, then do a tooth count as a triple check.

·
Registered
'03 outback limited, '01 Outback Limited, '01 Legacy L wagon, '96 Legacy Brighton wagon
2,182 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
The pin is pulled already. Will crank it over shortly.

What is the correct tooth count?

My concerns were that with the belt and sprocket marks lined up, the sprockets are not lining up with the marks on the engine, and shifting a tooth on each would swing them about the same amount off in the other direction. This makes it look like the sprockets are off by about 1/2 tooth.

One thing I did before removing the original belt was to mark it at the sprocket timing marks and then compare to the new belt - they line up almost perfectly - but with the old belt, the sprocket marks lined up closer to the engine marks. Hence my questions.

·
Registered
2,182 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Finally found the count in the manual ( I'm must be going blind to have missed it last night! :) ) - 44 on the right, 40.5 on the left. So, there should be 84.5 teeth between the 2 belt marks on the old belt as well as the new.

And the manual is not even close! The count on the old belt is 91.5, and on the new belt as installed, 47 on the right, and 45 on the left! ( if I counted them correctly! :) )

So, with cranking the engine over once by hand, the 3 sprocket marks all line up correctly with the engine marks.

Bizarre that the Sub manual is so far off of reality as concerns the tooth count.

·
Registered
03 H6 OBW & 06 WRX Sportwagon
17,624 Posts
to be clear, your counting between pulley marks right? belt marks won't line-up for scores more revolutions after you spin the crank around.

but, sounds like progress so, that's a good thing!

·
Registered
2,182 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Pulley marks definitely - they line up perfectly now. Supposedly it takes a few hundred revolutions before the belt marks will ever line up again!

Hopefully can finish putting this back together tomorrow ( lots of production work being delayed while I do this). The only other things I'm not positive about at the moment is how to make sure that the heater core gets filled properly, and whether or not having the jiggle pin in the thermostat needs to be reoriented - i didn't pay any attention to where it was when i assembled it.

And as soon as this car gets a few miles on it to make sure everything is working properly, I have to do the same to the '03 - the water pump is leaking like a sieve!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts