Subaru Outback Forums banner
1 - 20 of 85 Posts

·
Registered
2022 Touring XT, formerly 2005 LL Bean
238 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Got the new Touring XT two weeks ago. In no particular order:
1-Throttle response isn't as immediate as my old 2005 LL Bean 3.0. But there's lots of punch on boost.
2-Get yourself an Autostart Eliminator. Best $100 I've spent.
3-I've found the front camera handy. The hood and beltline are both higher than the Gen 3.
4-At least for my body shape, the front seats are really comfortable.
5-Steering feel is the best I've driven with EPAS, if a bit light. Of course, I haven't driven a new Porsche.
6-The power liftgate is an addictive luxury.
7-For my intended use, the ride and handling are fine. It will be a city runabout with a long road trip now and then.
8-I wish you could replace the map light bulbs. Intensely dislike that harsh blue "cool white". Oh well...
9-Really like the "you're about to back into an oncoming car" radar warning.
10-Really dislike that, after shutting off the obnoxious lane warning, there's a honking bright yellow light on the tach.
11-Good grief, these wheels are ugly. I miss the simple 5 spoke gunmetal gray LL Bean wheels.
12-I'm OK with the CVT. In fact, I wish there was a setting for "dispense with the fake gear shifts and just give me honest CVT behavior." I just hope it has the longevity of the bulletproof 5EAT in the Bean.

And a baker's dozen bonus:
13-Yes, it's quiet. The first car I've had where you could really enjoy the stereo. And the H-K is adequate for my listening. And no, I won't be getting an axle-back exhaust. I'm indulging that on my playtoy car.

OK, flame away. :)

·
Registered
4 Posts
Tell me more about this "Get yourself an Autostart Eliminator. Best $100 I've spent." Our 2022 Outback Touring XT should be arriving any day now and the auto-stop feature is something I would like to disable.

Thanks,

·
Registered
2020 Outback Limited and 2015 Forester Limited
392 Posts
Tell me more about this "Get yourself an Autostart Eliminator. Best $100 I've spent." Our 2022 Outback Touring XT should be arriving any day now and the auto-stop feature is something I would like to disable.

Thanks,
There is a long thread on the AutoStop Eliminator but this link will take to where it can be purchased. The short version is that it remembers your setting so that Auto Start Stop does not turn on with each ignition start if you've turned it off previously.

·
Registered
4 Posts
There is a long thread on the AutoStop Eliminator but this link will take to where it can be purchased. The short version is that it remembers your setting so that Auto Start Stop does not turn on with each ignition start if you've turned it off previously.
Thanks for the information. When I asked our salesman about disabling the auto-shutoff, he was not aware of this device. I just ordered.

·
Registered
992 Posts
Click Here for the long thread. And there is almost no reason why a salesman would know about this device, unless he was a member of this forum and/or did a Google search for AutoStop Eliminator, much less recommend installing a non-Subaru device into the wiring of the car.

·
Registered
20 Posts
My biggest gripe is the slow as molasses start up screen. Sometimes I want to just start and go. But when I need to wait to fiddle to adjust HVAC, stereo, autostop, etc....just annoying. Even after it loads, I still need to wait another 10-15 seconds since there is a lag so when I do press a button, it doesnt respond, so i press again and there is the double-action so i need to press a third time. Did the engineers not test this system out or are they thinking this is ok? PS....its not ok.

·
Registered
238 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·

Thanks,
I've driven a lot of cars where it was almost imperceptible. Not so the Outback. It's comparatively harsh on both the stop and restart. Add that to the battery load for restarting and the well-documented history of battery failures on Gen 6 cars. If you switch if OFF, the car automatically defaults back to ON the next time it starts. If you're OK with disabling it on the main screen every single time you start the car, then you don't need an ASE. I found that tiresome.

·
Registered
238 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
My biggest gripe is the slow as molasses start up screen. Sometimes I want to just start and go.
I guess I'm lucky. After the banner screen with the warning about paying attention to the road goes away, mine is ready to go. Keeping my fingers crossed that it stays that way.

For sure, I will never connect Android Auto, based on all the reported woes from it and Carplay. It doesn't matter to me. Yeah, Google Maps is sexier, but I can live with the Tom-Tom nav, and I don't play music from my phone anyway - I've got FM, Sirius, USB stick, an iPod, streaming internet stations and Pandora, and hundreds of CDs. I'll never miss it.

·
Registered
238 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks for the information. When I asked our salesman about disabling the auto-shutoff, he was not aware of this device. I just ordered.
My salesman wasn't aware that you could track the incoming car on the truck line's web site. He was depending on SoA to tell him when it would arrive, but I knew when it was loaded up at the factory and when it unloaded at the dealership. I'm in Memphis, so our cars come directly by truck from the factory. www.cassens.com

·
Premium Member
543 Posts
I guess I'm lucky. After the banner screen with the warning about paying attention to the road goes away, mine is ready to go. Keeping my fingers crossed that it stays that way.

For sure, I will never connect Android Auto, based on all the reported woes from it and Carplay. It doesn't matter to me. Yeah, Google Maps is sexier, but I can live with the Tom-Tom nav, and I don't play music from my phone anyway - I've got FM, Sirius, USB stick, an iPod, streaming internet stations and Pandora, and hundreds of CDs. I'll never miss it.
Keep in mind that the 22s suffer from far fewer issues with the infotainment issues than the 20-21s did. I've used CarPlay quite a bit and have had zero issues with it. In fact I've had zero issues with the infotainment system at all in my 22 Onyx.

·
Registered
238 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 · (Edited)
But wait, there's more:
14-The back window tint is so dark, I honestly couldn't tell that I'd installed LED backup lights. But, they definitely perked up the view in the backup camera.
15-My dog likes to hang out the window and I indulge her that pleasure. But boy. You've got to crack another window or it makes a wicked aero drumming.
16-Call me paranoid, but I'm trying to avoid wearing out electric motors. I disabled the auto-fold mirrors and the seat retract on entry. Doubt that I'll use the parking brake more than two or three times a year. Yeah, I expect to own this car at least 10 years. If it was a lease, it wouldn't matter.
17-I've been pleasantly surprised by the driver recognition. It gets me quicker as time passes. Doesn't seem to have a problem with hats. It even caught me before I got my mask off once.

·
Premium Member
2020 Onyx
15,396 Posts
@22Wilderness the slowness of your system seems unusual - not sure if plugging in a phone before starting the car makes the lag worse but I let the car boot before plugging in the phone.

Reactions: Roundabout2021

·
Registered
29 Posts
Keep in mind that the 22s suffer from far fewer issues with the infotainment issues than the 20-21s did. I've used CarPlay quite a bit and have had zero issues with it. In fact I've had zero issues with the infotainment system at all in my 22 Onyx.
Ditto. I wouldn't deny yourself the benefits of CarPlay without at least trying it first. It's more than just Apple Maps vs TomTom... there's a whole package of features that work better together including Siri, phone calls, text messages, etc. Plus Apple Maps/Google Maps/Waze get you live traffic re-routing, speed check notices, and so on. Out of the few dozen times I've bothered to plug my phone in, I think maybe only once or twice I've needed to unplug and replug it to get things going. Definitely worth it to me every time I'm doing more than running errands.

Doubt that I'll use the parking brake more than two or three times a year.
I can't recall where I saw it, but I think the manual recommends using the parking brake always to avoid wear and tear on the transmission. Even if the e-parking brake wears out prematurely (I'm not convinced it will), it's still far cheaper to fix than the transmission.

·
Registered
992 Posts
Ditto. I wouldn't deny yourself the benefits of CarPlay without at least trying it first. It's more than just Apple Maps vs TomTom... there's a whole package of features that work better together including Siri, phone calls, text messages, etc. Plus Apple Maps/Google Maps/Waze get you live traffic re-routing, speed check notices, and so on. Out of the few dozen times I've bothered to plug my phone in, I think maybe only once or twice I've needed to unplug and replug it to get things going. Definitely worth it to me every time I'm doing more than running errands.
Plus, with CarLinkIt, there is no need to plug in the iPhone, just slide it onto the wireless charger.

·
Premium Member
2022 Subaru Outback Wilderness
357 Posts
@22Wilderness the slowness of your system seems unusual - not sure if plugging in a phone before starting the car makes the lag worse but I let the car boot before plugging in the phone.
I generally wait for the car to boot first then plug the phone in. It has to process a lot of data first, so we avoid the issue by waiting till the system is up and running. Once the phone is plugged in, the system runs fine.

·
Registered
'22 Wilderness
44 Posts
I absolutely cannot stand the screen. Slow to boot, slow to respond, 2+ accurate touches required to use the seat warmers, etc. It's like they didn't bother to hire a UI or interface expert.
Good: interior fit and finish. I think it's top notch. I had a WRX about a decade ago and it felt like a cheap car that had been dressed up a little. But this interior is straight up nice

·
Premium Member
543 Posts
I absolutely cannot stand the screen. Slow to boot, slow to respond, 2+ accurate touches required to use the seat warmers, etc. It's like they didn't bother to hire a UI or interface expert.
Good: interior fit and finish. I think it's top notch. I had a WRX about a decade ago and it felt like a cheap car that had been dressed up a little. But this interior is straight up nice
Have you had the 10/15/21 firmware update installed?

As for the seat warmers, 2+? Maybe if you want to adjust the seat warmer down from full, but I never have and I live in ScCal. The pop up screen will close on its own.

1 - 20 of 85 Posts