Subaru Outback Forums banner
41 - 60 of 85 Posts

·
Registered
2022 Touring XT, formerly 2005 LL Bean
237 Posts
Discussion Starter · #41 ·
Please tell me more about #12 I find a jumpy shifting feeling when I slow down around 40 MPH. Do you see that same thing happening.?? or something else?? thanks
Yeah, a sometimes get a jerky fake downshift during decel on the brakes. Not a big deal, but I'd prefer to not have it. 2/10 on the irritation scale.

·
Registered
35 Posts
I'm just 1 week & 200 miles into my 22 Touring coming from 2015 Ltd OB. Its too soon to know how CarPlay is going to act over the long run but so far so good.

Honestly, after reading all the negatives about the infotainment system, this forum almost stopped me from buying a Gen 6. On the way to pick up the 22 I had serious heartburn over it.
I kept thinking maybe I better keep this one -- or get a Hyundai Tucson or Ford Escape.

Now, in the very short time of ownership, I have found that navigating thru the system is waaayy easier than I anticipated. (and I'm a 72 y o non techie). I don't know how many changes were made to the 22s infotainment system & controls. So far my impression is that it could be better , but it certainly isn't the disaster than I had the impression it was.

I agree the ASS is rough, but I assume that SOA has engineered it well enough it not fail prematurely. I never liked the fact that my engine is running for 1-2 minutes waiting for a light to change. Multiple that by 10 million vehicles and it is a huge waste of gas! IF it annoys you I've discovered that it can overridden much of the time by simply turning the steering wheel a 1/8th turn while stopping.

So far, I am very happy with the 22! I'll post further impressions after I pass the 1000 mile mark.
I thought it would be a lot worse as well —I actually like the touchscreen infotainment system; it feels sufficiently fast/reactive to my inputs. I also planned on getting the ASE due to reports here, but I find ASS is so incredibly easy to turn off with its placement that I don’t think I need it.

·
Premium Member
2020 Outback Premium
560 Posts
The longer I’ve used the CarLinkIt, the worse it has gotten. Would drop the connection and restart about every 5 minutes. Unplugged it and went back to the cable. Besides, it only works with the 2 USB ports on the dash anyway so it just hangs there in the way. Waste of $80.
Much the same for me. Worked great for a while, then not so much, seems to come and go. Annoying. Had high hopes. May just send it back.

·
Registered
978 Posts
The longer I’ve used the CarLinkIt, the worse it has gotten. Would drop the connection and restart about every 5 minutes. Unplugged it and went back to the cable. Besides, it only works with the 2 USB ports on the dash anyway so it just hangs there in the way. Waste of $80.
1. Mine works flawlessly.
2. Those are the only two ports which talk to the infotainment system. The other two are charging only
3. I use a cable and have it in the glove box.

·
Premium Member
532 Posts
I had the update done in December and the software is just as slow as before on start-up. Need to give it a good 2-3 minutes for a normal touch response. Made no difference on my car.
Our of curiosity, and I apologize if I already asked you this, when did you purchase your car? Do you happen to know the production date?

·
Registered
'22 Wilderness
44 Posts
Have you had the 10/15/21 firmware update installed?

As for the seat warmers, 2+? Maybe if you want to adjust the seat warmer down from full, but I never have and I live in ScCal. The pop up screen will close on its own.
Turns out that my December purchased Wilderness still has the stock software - so I will be updating!

Seat warmers - yes, 2+ presses. Press the icon on the main screen, wait some time for the second screen to come up, then press the button on the second screen. If I want to set it to a lower heat, it's multiple presses on this screen. In mine (and many others') opinion this is absolutely awful (and frankly dangerous) design. It should have been a physical button, or at the least, just make the icon on the home screen a responsive button instead of entering a deeper menu. And the button inside the menu is tiny for absolutely no reason (they REALLY want me to see their cool "heated seat" graphic), so I have to take my eyes off the road every time. What baffles me most is that Subaru hasn't changed this functionality through a simple software update yet, after years of complaints. Just make the home screen logo the button!

My older car had a rocker switch - up is high, down is low, flush is off. Worked great. And I could leave it in my preferred mode. And I didn't have to turn on the car, then wait for the infotainment system to boot, then hit the stupid "ACCEPT" button, then start the multi-press touchscreen process of turning on the seat heater.

·
Registered
237 Posts
Discussion Starter · #47 · (Edited)
@bakapaka My 05 Bean had switches for the heated seats on the console. Much preferred.

This 22 is a Touring, so the seats are both heated and vented. I don't see that as an excuse to bury the function in the menu. They could have put both on the home screen. They DID move Autostart there in response to feedback, so maybe we should push on the seats similarly.

·
Registered
237 Posts
Discussion Starter · #49 ·
They are quite indeed. Hard to look at in fact.
I wasn't going to be one of those guys who replaced the wheels within a day of taking delivery. I've been looking at them in the driveway for two weeks, now, waiting to warm up on my opinion.

Nope. Ain't happening.

Some day in the next couple of weeks, the UPS guy will tote four good-sized boxes up my driveway and drop them on my front porch.

·
Registered
237 Posts
Discussion Starter · #51 · (Edited)
The bronze Konig Ampliform would like great on that greenie.
Yeah, I toyed with gold/bronze for a while and it's a good look with the green, agreed. I eventually decided it's a little too "look at me, I'm different, so steal me" for my style. And this car is really a road trip station wagon for me, not an offroader, so that rules out a lot of muscular looking wheels like Methods. Finally, I'm not interested in blacking it out. Kinda growing to like the touches of aluminum colored trim on the Touring. So, it's probably gonna be Enkei Raijin. Not too loud, silver color, and five pounds lighter than stock.

Thanks to @2020XT for all the photos he's posted of his car here and on FB. Much more helpful than the grainy "see on your car" side view images on Tire Rack.

·
Registered
2020 Legacy Touring XT
52 Posts
Click Here for the long thread. And there is almost no reason why a salesman would know about this device, unless he was a member of this forum and/or did a Google search for AutoStop Eliminator, much less recommend installing a non-Subaru device into the wiring of the car.
To each their own, no problem with that. IMO, the eliminator is no longer needed now that the turn off switch is on the home screen. So easy to just press the button.

·
Registered
20 Posts
@22Wilderness Have you installed the 10/15/21 update? And, no, asking the infotainment system if there are any upgrades available will not work.
I don't have the Oct update yet, I haven't made it to the dealership since pickup. I will be sure to get it when I get the next oil change. I do have a USB stick filled with FLAC files plugged in for music. If the system needs to re-categorize the files with each start-up is still a big miss from the engineering team when they were evaluating the system before release.

·
Premium Member
532 Posts
My older car had a rocker switch - up is high, down is low, flush is off. Worked great. And I could leave it in my preferred mode. And I didn't have to turn on the car, then wait for the infotainment system to boot, then hit the stupid "ACCEPT" button, then start the multi-press touchscreen process of turning on the seat heater.
This isn't your much older car. It is what it is. The initial screen will go away on its own if you wait a few seconds. I've found that the seat warmers retain their setting after a restart so for me it's not a big deal. To each their own. Sounds to me like you didn't do much research before you bought, but most people don't and I KNOW I didn't.

FYI, a long press and hold (3 sec) of the seat warmer button will turn the seat warmers off in the pop up window. The window will close on its own as well.

I don't have the Oct update yet, I haven't made it to the dealership since pickup. I will be sure to get it when I get the next oil change. I do have a USB stick filled with FLAC files plugged in for music. If the system needs to re-categorize the files with each start-up is still a big miss from the engineering team when they were evaluating the system before release.
I would make sure to specifically ask them to do the 10/15/21 update, otherwise they likely won't. They my even tell you you have to report a problem before they will update it. Just tell them it crashed if they ask.

·
Registered
35 Posts
To each their own, no problem with that. IMO, the eliminator is no longer needed now that the turn off switch is on the home screen. So easy to just press the button.
I agree with the AutoStop button placement — you can tell Subaru wanted to make disabling it as easy and intuitive as possible. I went into my purchase thinking I would buy the device, but shortly after owning the OBW I realized it’s not necessary (for me), and normally these types of things really bug me.

·
Premium Member
2020 Outback Premium
560 Posts
…Seat warmers - yes, 2+ presses. Press the icon on the main screen, wait some time for the second screen to come up, then press the button on the second screen. If I want to set it to a lower heat, it's multiple presses on this screen. In mine (and many others') opinion this is absolutely awful (and frankly dangerous) design. It should have been a physical button, or at the least, just make the icon on the home screen a responsive button instead of entering a deeper menu. And the button inside the menu is tiny for absolutely no reason (they REALLY want me to see their cool "heated seat" graphic), so I have to take my eyes off the road every time. What baffles me most is that Subaru hasn't changed this functionality through a simple software update yet, after years of complaints. Just make the home screen logo the button!
A gripe of mine also. Unnecessarily cumbersome and unsafe. Hopefully will be addressed in a future update.

·
Registered
2020 Limited 2.5i Outback Magnetite Grey Metallic
350 Posts
In the winter I usually just leave the defroster engaged and it keeps the autostop from working so I don`t even need to use the button on the screen.

·
Registered
'22 Wilderness
44 Posts
This isn't your much older car. It is what it is. The initial screen will go away on its own if you wait a few seconds. I've found that the seat warmers retain their setting after a restart so for me it's not a big deal. To each their own. Sounds to me like you didn't do much research before you bought, but most people don't and I KNOW I didn't.
My point is it's WORSE than cars a decade older, in a dangerous way. I did know about this ahead of time, though I'm not going to let a seat warmer be the deciding factor on a car purchase. A Subaru forum is the correct place to discuss this problem, and there's no need to treat people like idiots. It's a bad design and I'm sure you know it.

·
Premium Member
532 Posts
My point is it's WORSE than cars a decade older, in a dangerous way. I did know about this ahead of time, though I'm not going to let a seat warmer be the deciding factor on a car purchase. A Subaru forum is the correct place to discuss this problem, and there's no need to treat people like idiots. It's a bad design and I'm sure you know it.
I disagree that it is a bad design or a dangerous one. It is, imo, an ok design but certainly not one that seems worth whining about, especially if you knew about it going in. It not particularly challenging to figure out on the fly, or at least it wasn’t for me, and once I got used to it it‘s no longer a big deal. That being said, I don’t deal with it daily or even very often but I know what to expect when I push the button. Maybe if I felt I had to use it every time I drive I’d feel differently.

41 - 60 of 85 Posts