Subaru Outback Forums banner
61 - 80 of 85 Posts

·
Registered
'22 Wilderness
44 Posts
I have to use it every day during the winter, and I can assure you I feel differently. It annoys me a little more every time that I have to use this objectively bad design, actually. Especially since it wouldn't be difficult for Subaru to change.

·
Premium Member
531 Posts
I seriously hope you can find a way to come to grips with this. If you can’t then maybe you should consider a different vehicle, especially if it’s something you must/plan on using daily for a long period of time and it’s already annoying you more and more each day.

·
Registered
165 Posts
Please tell me more about #12 I'm OK with the CVT. In fact, I wish there was a setting for "dispense with the fake gear shifts and just give me honest CVT behavior." I find a jumpy shifting feeling when I slow down around 40 MPH. Do you see that same thing happening.?? or something else?? thanks
Actually, when I was in the market for a new car before I bought the Hyundai, I was looking at Outbacks. The CVT was new in the H4 version. It drove me crazy with the wild swinging tach needle during the test drive. The H6 still had the true automatic so I test drove that and was hooked. I never followed though at that time due to a dealer issue and bought the Hyundai. Flash to last June and I decided to give the Outback another shot and the CVT did not have the wild swinging and the H4 engine felt much smoother. It still seems smooth to me. I was a died in the wool anti-CVT until this Outback.

This forum does have a number of negatives reports about the Turbo and CVT being rougher but that was with 2020 versions.

·
Premium Member
2020 Outback Premium
560 Posts
Re: Adjusting heated seats.

Sometimes I wait to adjust them, sometimes not. Sometimes I’m on the highway and I’m not going to get off at an exit just to adjust the seat heater, nor should anyone have to. The point is, it’s unnecessarily complex, for no real reason other than showing off a ‘cool’ graphic perhaps. Plenty of people here feel it’s unsafe. I’ve talked to Subaru both at the dealership level, and SOA, and they’re aware of the many complaints. Yes, I knew about it before I bought the car, and yes I bought it anyway. This is forum where things like this get discussed. Things we like, as well as dislike, about our cars. Overall, I think it’s a great car, and would buy it again, and actually I am, trading up to a ‘22. Awkward seat heat adjustments and all.

There’s plenty of people on here complaining about other things about their cars that they dislike, that don’t bother me in the least. I simply stay out of those conversations as it’s easier, and I don’t see a need to post sarcastic comments in their direction, as they’re entitled to dislike certain features. Each to their own.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Yeah, a sometimes get a jerky fake downshift during decel on the brakes. Not a big deal, but I'd prefer to not have it. 2/10 on the irritation scale.
Thanks but this is happening a lot lately, very jerky at several speeds now, it is a 9/10 irritant for me.
Going back to the dealer next week.

·
Administrator
1,615 Posts
Deleted a post, but put it back as @StanTheMan brought a relief to the building pressure in this thread...

I can't use the Dalton 'Be nice' Gif today.... Used it on another forum already today....

So I'll use the one below...

The multi step process of tushy warmers/coolers could have gone through one more round of QA before getting the full send, imo.

On the fly button pushing in my Gen5 for that is a nice necessity. 😇

Wood Door Flooring Hardwood Thigh

·
Registered
60 Posts
1-Throttle response isn't as immediate as my old 2005 LL Bean 3.0. But there's lots of punch on boost.
:)

That's what your paddle shifters are for. In town, in traffic, I'm always in manual mode to eliminate that lag, which can be downright dangerous at times. Or maybe your new Subie has the CVT, and maybe the CVT doesn't even have paddle shifters.
Too bad. They transform the vehicle.

·
Premium Member
'22 Onyx-Ice Silver; '14 Mazda 6
8 Posts
Got the new Touring XT two weeks ago. In no particular order:
1-Throttle response isn't as immediate as my old 2005 LL Bean 3.0. But there's lots of punch on boost.
2-Get yourself an Autostart Eliminator. Best $100 I've spent.
3-I've found the front camera handy. The hood and beltline are both higher than the Gen 3.
4-At least for my body shape, the front seats are really comfortable.
5-Steering feel is the best I've driven with EPAS, if a bit light. Of course, I haven't driven a new Porsche.
6-The power liftgate is an addictive luxury.
7-For my intended use, the ride and handling are fine. It will be a city runabout with a long road trip now and then.
8-I wish you could replace the map light bulbs. Intensely dislike that harsh blue "cool white". Oh well...
9-Really like the "you're about to back into an oncoming car" radar warning.
10-Really dislike that, after shutting off the obnoxious lane warning, there's a honking bright yellow light on the tach.
11-Good grief, these wheels are ugly. I miss the simple 5 spoke gunmetal gray LL Bean wheels.
12-I'm OK with the CVT. In fact, I wish there was a setting for "dispense with the fake gear shifts and just give me honest CVT behavior." I just hope it has the longevity of the bulletproof 5EAT in the Bean.

And a baker's dozen bonus:
13-Yes, it's quiet. The first car I've had where you could really enjoy the stereo. And the H-K is adequate for my listening. And no, I won't be getting an axle-back exhaust. I'm indulging that on my playtoy car.

OK, flame away. :)
Tell you all what I can't believe about my '22 Onyx: this car is constantly chirping and beeping at you, but the freaking BSW is silent! WT all-day F Subaru? My old Mazda 6 has a far better system.

Anyway, other than the deadly silent BSW, it's a great car.

·
Registered
2016 Legacy 3.6 w Eyesight
119 Posts
I'm just 1 week & 200 miles into my 22 Touring coming from 2015 Ltd OB. Its too soon to know how CarPlay is going to act over the long run but so far so good.

Honestly, after reading all the negatives about the infotainment system, this forum almost stopped me from buying a Gen 6. On the way to pick up the 22 I had serious heartburn over it.
I kept thinking maybe I better keep this one -- or get a Hyundai Tucson or Ford Escape.

Now, in the very short time of ownership, I have found that navigating thru the system is waaayy easier than I anticipated. (and I'm a 72 y o non techie). I don't know how many changes were made to the 22s infotainment system & controls. So far my impression is that it could be better , but it certainly isn't the disaster than I had the impression it was.

I agree the ASS is rough, but I assume that SOA has engineered it well enough it not fail prematurely. I never liked the fact that my engine is running for 1-2 minutes waiting for a light to change. Multiple that by 10 million vehicles and it is a huge waste of gas! IF it annoys you I've discovered that it can overridden much of the time by simply turning the steering wheel a 1/8th turn while stopping.

So far, I am very happy with the 22! I'll post further impressions after I pass the 1000 mile mark.
Someone is always going to say some infotainment system is bad. I recently got rid of my 2019 Legacy in favor of an Acura RDX, and actually found their touchpad interface not all that bad. I got used to it quickly. Of course I'd rather have a touch screen, but navigating the touchpad isn't bad. Before I got rid of my Legacy, I had a 2021 Outback loaner when it was in for a recall service and I didn't find that touch screen laggy at all. Felt very much like the 2019 system.

·
Registered
120 Posts
Ditto. I wouldn't deny yourself the benefits of CarPlay without at least trying it first. It's more than just Apple Maps vs TomTom... there's a whole package of features that work better together including Siri, phone calls, text messages, etc. Plus Apple Maps/Google Maps/Waze get you live traffic re-routing, speed check notices, and so on. Out of the few dozen times I've bothered to plug my phone in, I think maybe only once or twice I've needed to unplug and replug it to get things going. Definitely worth it to me every time I'm doing more than running errands.

I can't recall where I saw it, but I think the manual recommends using the parking brake always to avoid wear and tear on the transmission. Even if the e-parking brake wears out prematurely (I'm not convinced it will), it's still far cheaper to fix than the transmission.
My Gen5 eBrake locked up on me once (before the recall). On my Gen6 I never use the eBrake. Unless you are parking on a hill, the eBrake will not reduce wear on the transmission.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Touring XT takes awhile before its throttle and CVT become more responsive: both mine and a dealer loaner came "alive" by 5000 miles. At 6500 miles the 2.4 engine is generally quick to respond and the CVT is good about adapting to hills or following the throttle.

·
Premium Member
2022 Outback Limited XT
38 Posts
Tell you all what I can't believe about my '22 Onyx: this car is constantly chirping and beeping at you, but the freaking BSW is silent! WT all-day F Subaru? My old Mazda 6 has a far better syst

Anyway, other than the deadly silent BSW, it's a great car.
Does the light on your mirrors turn on?

61 - 80 of 85 Posts