Subaru Outback Forums banner
81 - 100 of 111 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,230 Posts
Tell you all what I can't believe about my '22 Onyx: this car is constantly chirping and beeping at you, but the freaking BSW is silent! WT all-day F Subaru? My old Mazda 6 has a far better system.

Anyway, other than the deadly silent BSW, it's a great car.
I'm actually ok with the BSD not beeping, the light is pretty hard to miss frankly.

·
Registered
2022 Touring XT Magnetite w/Sport Grille and 2" hitch
13 Posts
I wasn't going to be one of those guys who replaced the wheels within a day of taking delivery. I've been looking at them in the driveway for two weeks, now, waiting to warm up on my opinion.

Nope. Ain't happening.

Some day in the next couple of weeks, the UPS guy will tote four good-sized boxes up my driveway and drop them on my front porch.
Huh, I must have bad taste, cause I think the stock wheels on my 22 Touring XT look sweet. I like the look (and performance) of the stock tires too, even in MN snow...acquired car in Aug 2021.

·
Registered
2022 Touring XT Magnetite w/Sport Grille and 2" hitch
13 Posts
I seriously hope you can find a way to come to grips with this. If you can’t then maybe you should consider a different vehicle, especially if it’s something you must/plan on using daily for a long period of time and it’s already annoying you more and more each day.
For me it's not a deal breaker at all, but should be able to reprogram the heat/vent seat button on the main screen to control the intensity (each press moves one option up or down). Here in MN, when I use the remote start, I have the seat heat on highest setting, and within 10 min of driving, it's too hot for my taste, so I turn it down to the lowest setting and keep it there...I'd probably turn it off eventually, but prefer not to keep needing to look at screen to do so. Obviously, my whining is a 1st world problem, so please don't take this comment as saying I don't like the car. I do like the car alot, but nothing wrong with continuous improvement.

·
Registered
2022 OB Tour 2.5 "OB3",Green, 20 mm RSB, Vred HighTrac tires, (3rd OB). City car is Kia Niro PHEV
655 Posts
The BSD on my Kia Niro lights up mirror AND has a loud warning signal if I start to move out of my lane. I hate to admit it but the beeping may have saved my sheet metal a time or two. I wish my OB had the audio warning also.

·
Registered
22' Touring 2.5
17 Posts
Well, I just about hit the 1000 mile mark on my 22' Touring so thought I'd chime in with my experiences. Without elaborating (after seeing where it can go unfortunately) I've found nothing to complain about with the AS/S and just disable it if I feel like it will get annoying. Yes, the car does beep quite a bit and other than the system telling me to keep my eyes on the road every time I try to take in the scenery it's certainly livable. The lane keeping system beep can be kept at bay and will remain silent in 99% of occasions by simply using a turn signal so I see no issue there either. I can live with the rare occasion I exit a lane due to an obstacle. Luckily, I've only experienced one issue with the infotainment and only when utilizing the phone function via Carplay. While talking it mutes the in-car mic so that I can still hear the person on the other end but they can't hear me. Still trying to figure out why it's happened but it's occurred 2 or 3 times and is resolved by a quick unplug/plug back in of the phone. Other than that, no issues with responsiveness/reboots etc as of yet. I love the way the car drives and have to say even on the stock Avid GT's I felt the AWD performed as well as I could have hoped for in about 3" of snow. I've had plenty of AWD/4WD vehicles in my day and to me at least, this one performs admirably.

The last thing I'll say (and possibly at my own peril given the vitriol towards it) is that the 2.5 really isn't a bad engine for what I want right now. I wanted something that was comfortable to travel in, gets good fuel mileage, can haul our bikes/kayaks/camping stuff where we want to take it, and can handle some winter driving. This car does all that without issue. Perhaps having previously owned vehicles such as a modded/tuned 02' WRX, a '14 Focus ST3, and most recently a 19' F150 Limited with the 450hp 3.5L HO Ecoboost pulled from the Raptor just to name a few my expectations for an NA 2.5L flat four weren't super high. Or maybe they were realistic. No, the 2.5 is not fast. It is, however, smooth and a lot less thirsty than the F150 which I traded in for the Outback, and fuel efficiency was a huge factor in my decision. I was lucky to get 17mpg in the truck on a good day and despite Ford's claims about it running on 87oct it really only liked 93 so the fuel bill was getting outrageous. The 10sp auto trans was also a disaster but I'll digress on the Ford experience.

Cliff Notes: I love the car, it does exactly what I wanted it to, haven't had any issues that cause regret, and the 2.5 isn't as bad as it's made out to be.

·
Premium Member
2021 OB Touring, 2011 OB Premium
1,675 Posts
@JTNugent; We've got a 2021 Touring (also a 2.5i) which we love - - our 2011 OB is also a 2.5 and we've never had any issues with it having enough power to do everything we need it to, including towing our utility trailer (we just are patient with the acceleration, etc.). There are only 3900 miles on the '21, so we're waiting for things to "loosen up" a bit and our fuel mileage to improve.

Steve

·
Registered
2022 Touring XT, formerly 2005 LL Bean
307 Posts
Discussion Starter · #88 ·
I've found nothing to complain about with the AS/S and just disable it if I feel like it will get annoying.
I installed an Autostart Eliminator the second day that I owned mine. Every now and then, I turn it back on, just to try. Ultimately, I've decided that I'm less annoyed by it than I simply feel better reducing the stress on the battery. Yes, I know a failed battery isn't the end of life on earth, but given my luck it will fail in a hot parking lot on a 95 degree day with my wife and dog waiting impatiently in the car for me to connect my jump battery. Even that is a personal preference kind of decision, so you won't hear me trash talk you for leaving AS/S engaged.

And just to tweak the tiger's tail, how do you like the bits of aluminum silver trim on your Touring? It works for me - no plans to black out stuff.

·
Registered
22' Touring 2.5
17 Posts
I don't mind the trim stuff and will probably leave it as is also. I do admit the thought of a bronze wheel paired with the Autumn Green would be nice but not sure I'll ever actually do it so for now the trim/mirrors match the wheels and I'm good with it.

·
Registered
2022 Touring XT, formerly 2005 LL Bean
307 Posts
Discussion Starter · #90 · (Edited)
I don't mind the trim stuff and will probably leave it as is also. I do admit the thought of a bronze wheel paired with the Autumn Green would be nice but not sure I'll ever actually do it so for now the trim/mirrors match the wheels and I'm good with it.
Bronze would look good. I'm not fond of the OEM wheels, so I just did this, staying in the silver theme. Thanks to @2020XT. He did this long before me and was really helpful.
Car Land vehicle Tire Wheel Vehicle

·
Read Only
152 Posts
When I was looking at Subarus many automotive experts were writing that the turbo engine and transmission could be tuned together better and the nonturbo could be the best choice for most people. I finally decided on the turbo because I wanted to keep the HP to weight ratio the same as the 2007 Avalon that I was replacing with the Subaru.

Edit: Furthermore I have no clue what the experts are talking about

·
Registered
2022 OB Tour 2.5 "OB3",Green, 20 mm RSB, Vred HighTrac tires, (3rd OB). City car is Kia Niro PHEV
655 Posts
@JTNugent; We've got a 2021 Touring (also a 2.5i) which we love - - our 2011 OB is also a 2.5 and we've never had any issues with it having enough power to do everything we need it to, including towing our utility trailer (we just are patient with the acceleration, etc.). There are only 3900 miles on the '21, so we're waiting for things to "loosen up" a bit and our fuel mileage to improve.

Steve
Another 2.5i fan here .On our 4th 2.5 (1st one was 2004 Forester). Adequate even for towing 2,000 lb boat and 4 passengers & gear over Cascade Mt passes. Not a power house nor gas miser, but reasonably good for normal driving & even occasional abnormal driving. Heck, its faster 0-60 than my 66 Ford Mustang with a 289 2vb!

·
Registered
86 Posts
Well, I just about hit the 1000 mile mark on my 22' Touring so thought I'd chime in with my experiences. Without elaborating (after seeing where it can go unfortunately) I've found nothing to complain about with the AS/S and just disable it if I feel like it will get annoying. Yes, the car does beep quite a bit and other than the system telling me to keep my eyes on the road every time I try to take in the scenery it's certainly livable. The lane keeping system beep can be kept at bay and will remain silent in 99% of occasions by simply using a turn signal so I see no issue there either. I can live with the rare occasion I exit a lane due to an obstacle. Luckily, I've only experienced one issue with the infotainment and only when utilizing the phone function via Carplay. While talking it mutes the in-car mic so that I can still hear the person on the other end but they can't hear me. Still trying to figure out why it's happened but it's occurred 2 or 3 times and is resolved by a quick unplug/plug back in of the phone. Other than that, no issues with responsiveness/reboots etc as of yet. I love the way the car drives and have to say even on the stock Avid GT's I felt the AWD performed as well as I could have hoped for in about 3" of snow. I've had plenty of AWD/4WD vehicles in my day and to me at least, this one performs admirably.

The last thing I'll say (and possibly at my own peril given the vitriol towards it) is that the 2.5 really isn't a bad engine for what I want right now. I wanted something that was comfortable to travel in, gets good fuel mileage, can haul our bikes/kayaks/camping stuff where we want to take it, and can handle some winter driving. This car does all that without issue. Perhaps having previously owned vehicles such as a modded/tuned 02' WRX, a '14 Focus ST3, and most recently a 19' F150 Limited with the 450hp 3.5L HO Ecoboost pulled from the Raptor just to name a few my expectations for an NA 2.5L flat four weren't super high. Or maybe they were realistic. No, the 2.5 is not fast. It is, however, smooth and a lot less thirsty than the F150 which I traded in for the Outback, and fuel efficiency was a huge factor in my decision. I was lucky to get 17mpg in the truck on a good day and despite Ford's claims about it running on 87oct it really only liked 93 so the fuel bill was getting outrageous. The 10sp auto trans was also a disaster but I'll digress on the Ford experience.

Cliff Notes: I love the car, it does exactly what I wanted it to, haven't had any issues that cause regret, and the 2.5 isn't as bad as it's made out to be.
Glad you’re loving it! The 2.5 is definitely a nice little power plant. I went with the 2.4T this time around, but previously had the 2.5 and was always very happy with it for my uses.

·
Registered
2022 Outback Touring XT magnetite gray
19 Posts
My biggest gripe is the slow as molasses start up screen. Sometimes I want to just start and go. But when I need to wait to fiddle to adjust HVAC, stereo, autostop, etc....just annoying. Even after it loads, I still need to wait another 10-15 seconds since there is a lag so when I do press a button, it doesnt respond, so i press again and there is the double-action so i need to press a third time. Did the engineers not test this system out or are they thinking this is ok? PS....its not ok.
You should let your engine warm up anyways. Not good for any engine to just start and go within 10 seconds.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Tell you all what I can't believe about my '22 Onyx: this car is constantly chirping and beeping at you, but the freaking BSW is silent! WT all-day F Subaru? My old Mazda 6 has a far better system.

Anyway, other than the deadly silent BSW, it's a great car.
Exactly- I have no idea what 1/2 of those beeps mean - but I do miss an audible BSW "warning"!

·
Registered
9 Posts
Got the new Touring XT two weeks ago. In no particular order:
1-Throttle response isn't as immediate as my old 2005 LL Bean 3.0. But there's lots of punch on boost.
2-Get yourself an Autostart Eliminator. Best $100 I've spent.
3-I've found the front camera handy. The hood and beltline are both higher than the Gen 3.
4-At least for my body shape, the front seats are really comfortable.
5-Steering feel is the best I've driven with EPAS, if a bit light. Of course, I haven't driven a new Porsche.
6-The power liftgate is an addictive luxury.
7-For my intended use, the ride and handling are fine. It will be a city runabout with a long road trip now and then.
8-I wish you could replace the map light bulbs. Intensely dislike that harsh blue "cool white". Oh well...
9-Really like the "you're about to back into an oncoming car" radar warning.
10-Really dislike that, after shutting off the obnoxious lane warning, there's a honking bright yellow light on the tach.
11-Good grief, these wheels are ugly. I miss the simple 5 spoke gunmetal gray LL Bean wheels.
12-I'm OK with the CVT. In fact, I wish there was a setting for "dispense with the fake gear shifts and just give me honest CVT behavior." I just hope it has the longevity of the bulletproof 5EAT in the Bean.

And a baker's dozen bonus:
13-Yes, it's quiet. The first car I've had where you could really enjoy the stereo. And the H-K is adequate for my listening. And no, I won't be getting an axle-back exhaust. I'm indulging that on my playtoy car.

OK, flame away. :)
10 you can turn off in the settings!! I hated that too.

81 - 100 of 111 Posts