Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been checking this site a lot lately and it's nice to see so many good looking OB's. Of course I'm looking to buy an Outback (any Outback i can afford that is) and i took a testdrive in this one:

http://homepage.mac.com/eqj/PhotoAlbum4.html

Which i liked a lot of course, but the problem is that in the Netherlands Outbacks are very very rare.
Currently there are like 8 second hand OB's to choose from nationwide. And the asking prices are ridiculous. This one for instance, (1991 full spec, auto, leather, sunroof, 48000 miles) needs 41000 US dollars before you take it home. That's a 3,5 year old car...hmm....prices for a new 2005 manual 2.5 OB start at $ 50K.

Attachments

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
:) ...and of course i forgot to mention our gas price (3 times as expensive) and our road tax (about 500-600 us dollars yearly) and the fact that our roads are mostly clogged up and that there's a speed camera about every mile. But i still want an OB!

·
OBXT Moderator, ,
2,417 Posts
Hey Kenneth. Welcome to the board.

That's a lot of money, even for an Outback. (but they're worth it!).

Lizard, I'm with you; let's get into the import/export business.

·
Tokyo's between my toes
6,696 Posts
Those taxes help to explain the greater popularity of bikes and mopeds over there, along with the shorter distances.

On a station wagon list I'm on, one guy wrote in from Sweden. He had managed to obtain a ~1985 Chevrolet full-sized station wagon. He was able to save a huge amount of money by classifying it as a cargo vehicle (as in, a package delivery truck) instead of as a passenger vehicle. To comply with the law, the car had to have no permanent rear seat. He was able to remove the original and build a rough equivalent, and comply. I think he also had to cover the rear side windows, like the old "sedan delivery" type wagons.

·
Registered
82 Posts
The_Lizard said:

On a station wagon list I'm on, one guy wrote in from Sweden. He had managed to obtain a ~1985 Chevrolet full-sized station wagon. He was able to save a huge amount of money by classifying it as a cargo vehicle (as in, a package delivery truck) instead of as a passenger vehicle. To comply with the law, the car had to have no permanent rear seat. He was able to remove the original and build a rough equivalent, and comply. I think he also had to cover the rear side windows, like the old "sedan delivery" type wagons.
That's all kinds of shady -- I love it!

And there's nothing like the cargo capacity of an old Caprice station wagon. Those things are friggin' HUGE! If RWD didn't suck so much in the winter I would have purchased a Caprice or Roadmaster wagon to replace the old beast.

(and yes, that's a Supra buddy of mine laughing at the car :))

·
Administrator
4,353 Posts
Wow that asking price is ridiculous! :eek: I never thought the supply and demand for an Outback would be that high anywhere, EVER. Ken the car is a great one and has a lot of value for what you pay (at least here in America) but $41k for a used 2001 model? I don't blame you at all for wanting that car soo badly, I'm sure every member on this site either would or has felt the same way.

And I really despise Europeans on this matter, you all have the absolute best looking Outbacks and Subarus of any region in the world :D

Nonetheless, if you can realistically afford this vehicle I'd recommend getting it. Otherwise you could hold out and see what else comes along, if anything...

·
Submod , ,
3,022 Posts
I wonder what it would cost to buy a used one from the US or Canada for a lot less and then ship it on a container ship?

I've know several people who did that in reverse with their "foreign" car and it wasn't nearly as expensive as I thought it would be.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Kenneth,

I live in Amberg, Germany and will be leaving for the states this spring (around May) and have a 2001 OB 2.5L w/ 55,600 miles on it that may be for sale soon.

If you are interested reply to this and I'll give you my email addy.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Kenneth B Done, Hey man, with the new EU stupid laws you can import a car from any other EU nation state and all you pay is the other country's price plus a bit of tax and shipping. We have been importing cars from Germany and Portugal for a while with big savings. There are plenty of internet importers . Have a look. 2nd hand OBs are relatively inexpensive in UK---too many cars!! You may as well make use of the crazy EU laws when they can benefit you.

·
Registered
56 Posts
OB in Europa

Osmium said:
Kenneth B Done, Hey man, with the new EU stupid laws you can import a car from any other EU nation state and all you pay is the other country's price plus a bit of tax and shipping. We have been importing cars from Germany and Portugal for a while with big savings. There are plenty of internet importers . Have a look. 2nd hand OBs are relatively inexpensive in UK---too many cars!! You may as well make use of the crazy EU laws when they can benefit you.
The laws in Europe are maybe stupid. They are THE LAWS!! So we all have to do with it!
There are some diferents between US or Europa. US don't need rear fog light(for example)
We need it (by the law, as well for real) also we need an automaticly adjusted leveling of headlights (if you are fully loaded).
Taxes in europa are much higher than in US.( for the cars and especialy Holland have some luxurry taxes for cars)
Import from US is interesting job, butt you must make some serious changes onto your car to be added to European roads. And you newer know how good the car really is. You didn't make some proof drive with in most of casses.So your finacial advantage by import is not that big after al.
You can say to everybody I have one from US.
And some parts if needed you have to import from US also with all the inconvinience with it.
You maybee can't use your car for a few weeks while importing parts.

apologize for an bad language
Have to take more lessons :8: :21:

·
Registered
859 Posts
Osmium said:
The rest of Europe has the steering wheel on the wrong side so a cheap source of UK cars may not help..

The economy of importing depends on the vehice taxation system of the country where the car is GOING - in that respect the UK is relatively low. The taxation system in the Netherlands has always been much tougher than UK - this forces the pre-tax price down and makes import TO the UK very attractive - but not the other way as Netherlands taxation still has to be paid.

·
Registered
129 Posts
I sympathise, having just had a look at the Dutch Autotrader website. Prices for 04/05 2.5l with reasonable mileage are way above UK prices. Are there taxes on top or is that the 'drive away' price?

I'd look at importing one from the US, after establishing exactly what the differences are. They don't have self levelling rear shocks, and i don't think the headlights are adjustable. (Can't understand that: self levelling and adjusting heads. No self levelling and no headlight adjustment!!). And it'll be the headlights that are the PITA. Rear fogs are no great set back.

What else have I missed?

1 - 14 of 14 Posts