Subaru Outback Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of September's Outback of the Month Challenge!
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Since this forum is super fast, friendly, and helpful, thought I’d ask these questions. So I am having this rough idle thing, in drive mostly when stopped. Runs perfect otherwise. It’s a 2011 3.6R. It was a gift. Have driven it about 500 miles and never had a CEL. Changed the, oil, battery, intake filter, cleaned sensor, and changed pcv. Passed emissions. Was told here to change my spark plugs, clean the throttle body which is where I am now. The pics are from the passenger side. Notice the dirt/oil on the block on the middle coil. The pictures of the plugs/packs are respectively placed for the pic. There is clearly a blown gasket, I’ve cleaned some but took some pics for this post. There is no leak on the ground. Question is…am I being stupid by thinking this gasket thing is common and not a priority? Should I even replace these plugs if they’re going to get dirty again? At Rock Auto super good NGK were like $5 each. Last question is… I got some carbon off the air intake side of the TB, should I take the whole thing off and clean the other side? Thank you so much!

·
Premium Member
2020 Onyx
12,756 Posts
If the seep was from a long time predating your pcv valve change then clean it and monitor - it may not return.

Switch to "high mileage" oils.

Reactions: hunndy

·
Super Moderator
Outback 2011 3.6R Premium
2,734 Posts
If you are getting $5 plugs from Rock Auto I suggest you are getting the wrong plugs.

The required plugs are NGK Laser Double Platinum. Other plugs are known to cause problems.

Seagrass

Reactions: jes2 and SilverOnyx

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
If you are getting $5 plugs from Rock Auto I suggest you are getting the wrong plugs.

The required plugs are NGK Laser Double Platinum. Other plugs are known to cause problems.

Seagrass
Forgot I got them here after all. These are no good?

·
Registered
2009 3.0R Outback
770 Posts
The Iridium IX 6619 are $5.44. The Laser Iridium 7505 are $12.44.

Forgot I got them here after all. These are no good?
They'll work fine, but they won't last nearly as long as the OEM Laser Iridium since they lack the platinum disk on the ground electrode. They're similar to those Autolite XP that you took out.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
So any thoughts on the gasket? The picture of the middle plug is on the opposite side of the pcv and frankly I don’t think the valve was the issue. If I put new ones in will they get oil on them right away?

·
Premium Member
2020 Onyx
12,756 Posts
If the seep was from a long time predating your pcv valve change then clean it and monitor - it may not return.

Switch to "high mileage" oils.

·
Registered
2009 3.0R Outback
770 Posts
So any thoughts on the gasket? The picture of the middle plug is on the opposite side of the pcv and frankly I don’t think the valve was the issue. If I put new ones in will they get oil on them right away?
It's common for the valve cover and spark plug well gaskets to start leaking as a vehicle ages since the gasket material will harden over time. Replacing the valve cover and spark plug well gaskets is a bit of a PITA on these engines. It seems to be just a small weep/leak at the moment. Not bad enough to cause any serious problems. Up to you if the job is something you want to tackle right now or not.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Took the throttle body off. Looks really dirty on the inside. Is it supposed to be 100% closed with the battery out?

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Also, the egr is basically underneath the drivers side of the intake manifold. Looks like a mandatory removal of the manifold. I can’t find anything in taking this thing off, YouTube or otherwise. This is 3.6t, so it’s way different from the video posted above.

·
Super Moderator
Outback 2011 3.6R Premium
2,734 Posts
Clean the throttle body with throttle body cleaner and it will close a bit better.

I have just cleaned the throttle body on my 3.6R and the throttle plate has a very small gap at the top when fully closed.

Seagrass

1 - 17 of 17 Posts