Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
2013 Legacy Lim CVT Car: 2011 OB Prem 6MT Car: 2006 Miata GT 6MT mc: 2003 Honda GL1800A * Reunite Gondwanaland *
3,567 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The new 2013 OB product line from Subaru of Germany has some BIG changes:

- the 3.6R engine has been dropped entirely ...gone! ...kaput! ...ganz verloren!

- the 2.5i (gasoline) is no longer offered with a manual transmission

- the 2.0D (diesel) will be the only manual transmission OB for 2013

- the diesel CVT is scheduled to hit the showrooms in "early summer"

- the diesel CVTs are priced the same as the gasoline CVTs

- the standard warranty is 5 yr/160,000 km (100,000 mi)

...can SOA be far behind?

Looby

·
Registered
1,142 Posts
I heard they are planning on a turbo version of the 2.0 that is in the BRZ for the next Gen5 OB, as well as offering the 2.0NA version.

I also have heard the 3.6R will be gone for Gen5.

My guess is the 2.5 will be gone too.

Maybe 2.0NA, 2.0T, 2.0Diesel??

Won't it be 2015 or 2016 for the Gen5? That's quite awhile to develop things....

·
Registered
2013 Outback - 3.6R Limited, EyeSight/Nav/MoonRoof/Kitchen Sink.
683 Posts
In this month's Subaru magazine, they feature the 2014 Forester. And it's only offering, if I recall correctly is the 250HP 2.0T mated to the CVT. There are no other transmission offerings for it.

Good thing my OB is brand new and I keep cars for more than a decade. I wouldn't consider an OB with anything less than a 6. Even if the 4 is making almost as much power.

·
Registered
2013 Legacy Lim CVT Car: 2011 OB Prem 6MT Car: 2006 Miata GT 6MT mc: 2003 Honda GL1800A * Reunite Gondwanaland *
3,567 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Good thing my OB is brand new and I keep cars for more than a decade.
I wouldn't consider an OB with anything less than a 6.
Good thing my OB is new-enough and I keep cars for more than a decade.
I wouldn't consider a wagon-on-stilts with more than 2.5 liters -- or any
car without a manual transmission, and a glass roof (or a rag top).

...common ground?

Looby

·
Registered
2010 outback. base 2.5
1,970 Posts
I predict carry over engines for the lower trims(FB2.5) and a new turbo 4 with the HD CVT for the top tier models. New tech along with the soft touch dash. The question is will they screw up the styling? I happen to like gen 4's styling expect for the goofy fogs on the 13. The new Forester looks like they will take the safe approach with a little nip and tuck.

·
Registered
2013 Outback - 3.6R Limited, EyeSight/Nav/MoonRoof/Kitchen Sink.
683 Posts
Good thing my OB is new-enough and I keep cars for more than a decade.
I wouldn't consider a wagon-on-stilts with more than 2.5 liters -- or any
car without a manual transmission, and a glass roof (or a rag top).

...common ground?

Looby
I do miss my 5 speed. But in traffic, with Eyesight, it is SOOOOOOO worth it.

·
Registered
2011 Subie 3.6R Limited 2013 Cmax e=nergi PHEV
781 Posts
I predict carry over engines for the lower trims(FB2.5) and a new PZEV turbo 4 with the CVT for the top tier models. The question is will they screw up the SUSPENSION?
Styling...Never liked the earlier gen's subie style, gen 4 was a pig at first sight, but it has grown on me to the point where I like her fat @$$, wonky hood ridgelines, and flared fenders. Put the 'tude to the wagon and pop her up a few inches and gringo SUV lovers will buy it forever. Hope they do make it a little more Euro sport and not so Roided Wagon for the next gen though.

As for the tangential discussion on MT. In SoCal an MT is a sentence in He!! due to the ever present start stop traffic clutch ride purgatory. Hills of TN or PA - different story.

·
Registered
2013 Outback 2.5i Premium 6MT
34 Posts
any
car without a manual transmission
This is the deal breaker for me. I'm pretty much on a 5-6 year cycle with my cars so it's not really much of a concern for me now but when the time comes, no MT = no sale.

·
Registered
2004 Outback Wagon, 2.5, 4EAT, All weather package.
1,040 Posts
The 3.6 was one of the few things I actually liked about the 4th gens...

·
Registered
2006 Outback Wagon 2.5i 5spd MT Atlantic Blue Pearl
261 Posts
As for the tangential discussion on MT. In SoCal an MT is a sentence in He!! due to the ever present start stop traffic clutch ride purgatory. Hills of TN or PA - different story.
The only cars I ever drove in Southern California (specifically the greater L.A. area) were stick. Except my wife's car....her car never did grow that third pedal....

Back on topic though, I'll guess 2.0NA (6MT or CVT) and a 2.0T (CVT only), and I doubt the U.S. will see any diesel....at least, not until it becomes either luxurious (all the high-end German cars in America would have it), or it becomes hip/cool/"eco friendly"/some other crap. So basically never :'(

Diesel + MT plzkthx.

·
Registered
'13 OBW SAP 3.6R
416 Posts
The main thing I wish they would bring over here is those DRLs they show in the link you provided. I absolutely hate the ones I have now.

·
Registered
3,567 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
In SoCal an MT is a sentence in He!! due to the ever present
start stop traffic clutch ride purgatory.
So, do what I did to avoid the gridlock...

...retire!

Looby

·
Registered
2011 Subie 3.6R Limited 2013 Cmax e=nergi PHEV
781 Posts
+100. All you have to remember is Sunday has the fat newspaper.
Will there be newspapers in 20 years when I start to think about retirement?

Diesel Hybrid please if this is turning into a SubieClaus wish list.

·
Registered
2013 Outback Limited 2.5i
112 Posts
I think eventually the Boxer Diesel will be offered here, but
probably down sized and as part of the new DIESEL BOXER HYBRID.

The next phase will either be a DIESEL boxer hybrid, or a smaller
down size mill.. like the forester 2.0 turbo will phase out the 3.6R

·
Registered
2011 Tacoma TRD Sport Double Cab Long Box
2,893 Posts
Sigh.

No H6 is basically a dealbreaker for me, unless the turbos make at least as much power, are reliable (unlike many of the Gen3 turbos), and have as little lag as possible.

Don't really care what the gas mileage is, as long as I'm not averaging 13 MPG or something atrocious like that.

I bet CAFE mandates are what will squash the 3.6 over here. Too bad, it's a sweet engine with plenty of power. I don't think the fuel economy is bad on it at all.

I'll hold onto my '08 for a while anyway...after that I might end up with a V6 TRD/SR5 Tacoma, that is if I don't buy one to have alongside my Outback before then.

·
Registered
2,893 Posts
So, do what I did to avoid the gridlock...

...retire!

Looby
...or live in the middle of nowhere so you don't have tons of stop-and-go traffic!

Will there be newspapers in 20 years when I start to think about retirement?

Diesel Hybrid please if this is turning into a SubieClaus wish list.
Hmm, I've got 39 years before I could retire with a full pension. I really doubt they'll exist by then. Not that I plan on retiring that early anyway, I like my job too much!

·
Registered
3,567 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I've got 39 years before I could retire with a full pension. .... Not
that I plan on retiring that early anyway, I like my job too much!
Please give us an update on that ...in 38.5 years.

Looby

·
Registered
2,893 Posts
Please give us an update on that ...in 38.5 years.

Looby
We'll see if my work ethic keeps up that long. I aim to be one of those people still working at 70+ not because they're short on money, but because they want to be there. That's apparently not so common, though. I only know one person who fits that description.

As they say: "Find a job you love and you'll never work a day in your life."

1 - 20 of 38 Posts