Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is the outback able to handle 18" rims. If so, has anyone heard how the vehicle would handle on and off road.
I was thinking about buying a new set of 17 or 18 inchers for my 2000 Outback Limited sedan.

Thanks.

·
Administrator
4,270 Posts
Here's a pic of the member MaverickOutback's OB with 18's, from what he's told me there's a great leap in handling although it does hurt the ride. If you want some good tough rims I'd only get a set of Rota Wheels. The absolute best place to get some is from SubyDude.com. He is very friendly with Outback.org members, let alone have the best Rota prices anywhere. Tell him you were referred by me and this site and he'll probably even get you a discount. Check them out and get back with us here with any comments or questions :D

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks HB for the quick info and the link to SubyDude's site.
Like those subzero rims alot.
Been hesitating for months on the right rims for my ride.......feeling like a failure.....
Will soon solve all my problems by making a wise decision I hope.

·
Registered
172 Posts
I had the 2nd generation Outback H6.

I used 17 x 7 with a 45mm offset and 235/50 Bridgestone RE040's. Ride was a little harder but not much, but the handling and the looks were so much better. I think 18's would be going a bit far if you want to use it off road, but possibly fine for on road only use.

With the 235/50 tyres on a 45mm offset there were no rubbing issues except for a small piece of plastic that was sticking out from the under motor plastic guard. Just cut off the small piece (about 10mm x 15mm) and everything was perfect. Had about 10mm clearance all round with both locks of the steering. You would not be able to use this width tyre with anything less than the 45mm offset as it would probably rub on the inside.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
About this Discussion
3 Replies
3 Participants
Boxer3.0R
Subaru Outback Forums
Welcome to the Subaru Outback Owners Forum, we have tons of information about your Subaru Outback, from a Subaru Outback Wiki to customer reviews.
Full Forum Listing