Subaru Outback Forums banner
  • Our 4th of July contest is live! Enter HERE for your chance to win a $400 Walmart gift card.
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Outback of the Month Challenge!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2011 Outback Limited 2.5i/2018 Crosstrek limited
4,943 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well...there is a new AWD oil burner on the block and it's not subaru. Mazda is bringing their Diesel to North America early next year. My question is this...why won't subaru do the same? They have it everywhere else on the planet. I mourned the loss of our 12 year old TDI with 300,000km on it...bought a RAV in a pinch...regretted the purchase...and was seriously thinking of trading it for the new crosstrek. With a new job requiring me to drive 200km every day...that decision is on hold...love subaru...but I am still a hyper miler at heart.

First Drive: 2018 Mazda CX-5 Diesel | Driving

2018 Mazda CX-5 Diesel Is a Car Worth Waiting For | Feature | Car and Driver

·
Registered
OBW H6 VDC, Tribeca, XT6
12,385 Posts
Google it.
There's hardly a clear and compelling reason why Subaru should consider it.

·
Registered
2018 3.6R Limited
552 Posts
Mazda's AWD system is heavily FWD based and can't even handle torque steer at launch. Perhaps it is a nice vehicle, but AWD there is almost all marketing and little substance.

·
Registered
4,943 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Mazda's AWD system is heavily FWD based and can't even handle torque steer at launch. Perhaps it is a nice vehicle, but AWD there is almost all marketing and little substance.
...and you know this...how? It's not out yet...reviews thus far are positive so if this was an issue it would be reported on. I highly doubt it...if it was true they would not release it....and every Diesel at I have driven has never had a torque steer issue...sounds like the old wives tale to me:rolleyes:

·
Registered
4,943 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Google it.
There's hardly a clear and compelling reason why Subaru should consider it.
VW has put a full stop on diesel in North America so there is definitely a market share to be had here. Mazda is going to capitalize on it...

·
Registered
2018 3.6R Limited
552 Posts
...and you know this...how? It's not out yet...reviews thus far are positive so if this was an issue it would be reported on. I highly doubt it...if it was true they would not release it....and every Diesel at I have driven has never had a torque steer issue...sounds like the old wives tale to me:rolleyes:
I've driven the CX-9. 2.5T has lots of low end torque (over 300 lb/ft) and like any other FWD car, it struggles directing all that power from the get-go. Is it possible that CX-5 has better system? Maybe.

·
Registered
Fresh Out of Outbacks!
14,477 Posts
Subaru still has the ability to sell out all of their production without resorting to more powertrain choices, so they can keep total costs lower. Seems reasonable to me.

What fuel does the new CX-5 use? All the Mazda engineering headlines recently were all about their new HCCI engine operating a diesel cycle on gasoline fuel, but I think this is probably too early to be that.

·
Registered
4,943 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I've driven the CX-9. 2.5T has lots of low end torque (over 300 lb/ft) and like any other FWD car, it struggles directing all that power from the get-go. Is it possible that CX-5 has better system? Maybe.
...:iam:...

1 - 8 of 8 Posts