Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
232 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

I see that some of you have noted that the driver's side A-pillar trip piece seems to not sit correctly at the upper edge. I was at a local dealer over the weekend and commented on that fact; the salesman had not heard of this but he was intrigued enough that we took a look at three 2013 OBW's.

All three had substantial gaps in the fit and pushing on it would close the gap. It was evident that the material is very thin and it simply sags under its own weight. His comment was, "well, we'll definitely have to fix that". Not sure what that means, exactly.

for those of you with 2013's, do you have the same issue? Odds are that it's not car-specific but perhaps specific to a whole batch of molded parts (or worse, to all cars, period).

We are looking to replace our 2002 OBW and are agonizing over the 2.5/3.6 decision (as many of you may have). The 2.5 in our 2002 is adequate, but trying to climb any kind of grade with a load means you end up using the truck lane (almost).

Thanks.

·
Registered
2013 Subaru Outback Premium 2.5i All-Weather+Moonroof Venetian Red Pearl W/ Ivory Coth
572 Posts
I had them as well, but they said it was something to allow the side curtain airbags to deploy. Also I noted that your name is Healey 3000. My father owned a 1967 3000 BJ8 and just sold it last year. I loved that car other than frequest visits by the ghost of Lucas

·
Registered
232 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I had them as well, but they said it was something to allow the side curtain airbags to deploy. Also I noted that your name is Healey 3000. My father owned a 1967 3000 BJ8 and just sold it last year. I loved that car other than frequest visits by the ghost of Lucas
Hi,

It's hard to imagine that the pillar has to be that loose to let the airbag deploy. I didn't look but is the passenger side similar? My other car (non-Subaru) has perfectly fitting trim.

Yes, I do have a '67 BJ8 that is undergoing restoration. All that remains is painting and installing the body panels plus interior; I have done a ground-up restoration, taking apart everything, bead blasting the chassis to bare metal and painting, replating all fasteners, rebuilding engine/gearbox/overdrive, etc. To keep the ghost of Lucas at Bay, I installed a whole new wiring loom and have cleaned up all contacts. We shall see.

Fun cars to drive, indeed, even if slow by modern standards (0-60 is 9.2, I believe).

Regards.

·
Registered
2013 Outback 2.5i Premium
232 Posts
My Outback has the same problem. the dealer ordered new trim pieces and will install them as soon as they are in.

·
Registered
232 Posts
Yes, I do have a '67 BJ8 that is undergoing restoration. All that remains is painting and installing the body panels plus interior; I have done a ground-up restoration, taking apart everything, bead blasting the chassis to bare metal and painting, replating all fasteners, rebuilding engine/gearbox/overdrive, etc. To keep the ghost of Lucas at Bay, I installed a whole new wiring loom and have cleaned up all contacts. We shall see.

Fun cars to drive, indeed, even if slow by modern standards (0-60 is 9.2, I believe).

Regards.
I know what you talk about, when mentioning Lucas, the king of darkness!

I am the owner of a 1962 Triumph TR4, full of Lucas!

·
Registered
2013 Subaru Outback Premium 2.5i All-Weather+Moonroof Venetian Red Pearl W/ Ivory Coth
572 Posts
Hi,

It's hard to imagine that the pillar has to be that loose to let the airbag deploy. I didn't look but is the passenger side similar? My other car (non-Subaru) has perfectly fitting trim.

Regards.
Healy's are geared for top end. I remember going 135-140 in my Dad's..not too shabby. My dad installed an MSD ignition and converted the grounding but later had issues with shorting out, so he converted back to original grounding. Make sure you do the history inquiry of the car. Quite a few of these BJ8's were brought over from service men who were stationed overseas. Shipping container rates were really cheap in the late 60's and many did that. My dad's car was a really late 67, (almost a rate 68 with the quad signal lights,) but still had the 67 light config. Car was raced and had ignition switch under the steering column, louvered hood as well as quick release gas cap. Also his 67 was delivered and actually final assembled in Germany (still dont kknow why), but makes for good conversation

·
Registered
2020 Outback Touring XT, in Crystal White Pearl
889 Posts
I know what you talk about, when mentioning Lucas, the king of darkness!

I am the owner of a 1962 Triumph TR4, full of Lucas!
Sorry (sort of) for continuing with the thread hijack, but I had a '68 Triumph TR250 (basically a TR4 body style, with the 2.5 liter straight-six of the TR6). The chassis was the same as both a later TR4A IRS, and a TR6.

Great car in general, but not without problems. In my own case, the Lucas issue was mystery headlights that would work in daytime, but often not at night!

After getting rid of the TR250, and following a brief, ill-fated dalliance with a Fiat 124 Spider, I spent a year or two looking at old Healeys (3000's or 100-6's), TR3's, and a few old Jags. But in the end sanity prevailed and I got a '59 Corvette. Also not without problems, but in general much easier to keep running than a comparably-old British car. And although frame rust is a potential issue, at least the body is rust-free (fiberglass)!

·
Registered
232 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Sorry (sort of) for continuing with the thread hijack
Oh, I don't mind at all; it's fun to see all the LBC ownership on this board. It's an interesting contrast with the BMW E90 board that I've been on for five years where not one person has made the connection.

They don't know what they're missing!

·
Registered
232 Posts
Sorry (sort of) for continuing with the thread hijack, but I had a '68 Triumph TR250 (basically a TR4 body style, with the 2.5 liter straight-six of the TR6). The chassis was the same as both a later TR4A IRS, and a TR6.

Great car in general, but not without problems. In my own case, the Lucas issue was mystery headlights that would work in daytime, but often not at night!
Lucas gives me no light problems, but a horn that honks when I make left turns (the horn wire seems to contact the steering column, because Lucas did not put relays into the system)

1 - 11 of 11 Posts