Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just got the front differential repaired on my '02 Outback, and have gotten a recommendation from the mechanic to drive the car around 500 miles, and then bring it back in to do a final adjustment that will take care of the noise i have been having.

He explained something about the bearings he replaced needing to be broken in before he tightened something up that has to wind up at "6" or something. The whole thing sounded a little complicated, but seemed to make sense.

I cant help feeling a little weird after leaving the shop, and still having the noise i came in for...what do you guys think? Have you ever heard of someone doing this?

He says that if he tightens everything up to specs, it will wind up blowing out again for some reason i cannot remember. :-/

·
Registered
16,293 Posts
I can appreciate the possibility of having to readjust bearing retainers; however, what doesn't fit is that the repair that was done was supposed to deal with a particular noise. (I've read your previous thread.) If the exact same noise is present after the work, that's strange. I would expect the noise to have been eliminated, or at least changed. I wonder if it wasn't the differential at all that was causing the noise.

Have you mentioned to the mechanic that the same noise is still there? If it is, how can he be so sure that it will disappear later?

Did he provide you will a detailed invoice of what work was done and what parts were replaced?

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
About this Discussion
2 Replies
3 Participants
4wheeldog
Subaru Outback Forums
Welcome to the Subaru Outback Owners Forum, we have tons of information about your Subaru Outback, from a Subaru Outback Wiki to customer reviews.
Full Forum Listing