Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2013 Outback 2.5i CVT in White, Codename: Ditto.
82 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just saw something that I think is absolutely brilliant...but it seems to only be in Washington State.

It is a place where you can go rent a garage bay, tools, and even a mechanic to work on your car. Rates from hourly to monthly.

It's called Self Serve Garage (I won't hot-link the site, but you can Google it). I saw it in a commercial for a company that makes business cards and my son asked me what it was so I Googled it.

I can't find this business model in New Jersey...does anyone know of one, maybe?

·
Registered
03 H6 OBW & 06 WRX Sportwagon
17,624 Posts
I've often wondered if that might go well, but seems like insurance could be quite high.

interesting

·
Registered
Lawn ornament XT
14,366 Posts
I always had the impression that on the east coast, that need was well served by car clubs. It seems that there's a bit less of that these days, but there are still clubs with shared facilities for repair & detailing of members' cars.

I wonder if there's something about Washington state law that helps support a self-serve?

·
Registered
154 Posts
When I'm not smoking pot recreationally, or attending a gay wedding, I like to go to the rental garage and wrench on my Outback.

Washington State, innovation in action.

·
Registered
2008 subaru outback 2.5i
472 Posts
They have couple places in dallas like that, imo its not cheap, I think 20$ hr to rent a bay with lift 2.49 to 4.99 hour tool rental, i can see it be helpful fora quick oil change, but anything major that will take hours better off doing someplace else.

·
Registered
2,819 Posts
Not aware any places like that in Ca. Military bases have Auto Hobby shops that allow tool and hoist use.
I shudder in fear what the average low performance shade tree mechanic might do to such a facility. Such places would need several ASE techs on duty just to keep people from hurting themselves. Doubt you could find an insurance company that would insure such a business. Good idea though.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts