Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
recently i tried to use this tool designed to move a cargo.
the winch moved my car... a little. (the car was standing in the snow)
will it help in a dirt or in a snowdrift, what do you think?

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Happens that stalled and no one is around. At least create a strong tension to replace a two people are pushing.
Or do you think it is useless?

·
Registered
91 Posts
Wrong tool for what you want it to do. What you have is a cargo tiedown strap with tensioner. Like rasterman said, what you need is one of these cable winches, often called a 'come-along'.

Lug-All | Toolmonger

You may be able to use the strap part of your cargo tiedown strap to reach a tree or other anchor point, but you will need the power of a come-along to move your vehicle.

I found a video that may help. Same tool, just a little different looking because the gear and cable are inside a housing.

·
Banned
2007 Outback XT Ltd
847 Posts
If you really want a tool that can save you when you are very far from any help, this would be a MUCH better choice than those light duty cable winches. The version with steel cable weighs 12 kg! I would pay extra for the excellent synthetic cable - it is super light and won't kink or cut your hands. This is a serious rescue tool - the others are for lifting an engine in your garage, or for tightening a wire fence.

The Wyeth-Scott Co. - portable winches | cable puller | come along winches

http://www.billjohn.com/articles/misc/mppuller/mppuller.htm

I don't know if there is a similar product closer to your country, but I would be very surprised if there wasn't. Do you live in Russia?

John Davies
Spokane WA USA

·
Registered
Somebody Else's XT
14,432 Posts
Hey, that's a nice one! I especially like the detachable handle. I imagine you could put a longer one on, or even make up one that telescopes.

·
Banned
2007 Outback XT Ltd
847 Posts
Hey, that's a nice one! I especially like the detachable handle. I imagine you could put a longer one on, or even make up one that telescopes.
The handle is the "fuse" - it is designed to collapse if you put too much force into the winch, so I recommend that you do NOT use a big piece of steel rod or a heavy water pipe.

See the parts list here ... https://www.wyeth-scott.com/orders.asp
You can order an extra handle (highly recommended) and an 18 inch extension bar for about US$14.00. Extra parts that will fit into the winch box won't cost any more in shipping charges.

John Davies
Spokane WA USA

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Nice tools! The cinching mechanism of many steel layer - it is that will help me.
I don't know if there is a similar product closer to your country, but I would be very surprised if there wasn't. Do you live in Russia?
Yes. We have the same tools.
I want to buy this tool but i recently stumbled on the screed for cargo in my garage. I read that this tool designed for 5-10 tons of cargo and i decided to pull my car. I was able to do it a little :) the car was on the handbrake.
Now I'm thinking to buy a 'come-along'. Really necessary thing.
Thanks for your advice, guys!

$ 20 - this is not a big price. In USA, it is cheaper than in Russia.

·
Registered
'14 3.6R Outback
2,345 Posts
The biggest problem with metal cables is when the break they tend to kill people.

That is why the synthetic cable above is the better choice by far.

IF you find that you only have a metal cable available make sure you cover that cable with a coat or cloth for protection.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
It's true. I afraid to stand near a working winch always. I saw a destructions on the car because of a torn cable of steel. It is a terrible.

·
Registered
107 Posts
I have a tirfor type winch w/steel cable. Tirfor allows you to move in either direction. Safer than a come-along in that it cannot spin freely. Steel cable danger can be taken care of by simply draping towels, clothes or other such things on cable which causes it to fall to ground if failure occurs. Pretty rare except if cable is damaged which happens w/come-along rewinding and or binding. Wyeth More power puller is best of the come-alongs.

·
Registered
2010 Outback Premium 2.5l
9 Posts
I have used a Wyeth Scott power puller for more than 15 years, both with my pickup truck and Jeep, used properly they are great, this come along has been around a long time, won't break the bank and is very rugged and easy to work with. With the right combination of extension cables, pulleys, straps ,etc you can accomplish a lot with one. If you have the money the tirfor style is better but the Wyeth Scott power puller is the way to go if you want a come along, the HF version don't come close and I don't think they will last under hard use.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts