Subaru Outback Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of October's Outback of the Month Challenge!
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
2003 LL Bean Outback H6 and 2019 Outback Base
514 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 2003 LL bean H6. I have noticed for about a couple of months when I put in in Drive and take off quickly...it hesitates for a fraction of a second...then " goes Into " gear.

When I first noticed this I just put it in drive and counted one thousand one...one thousand two.... and drove off....NEVER an issue when I do this.

What are your thoughts ?

Much appreciated.

Once in gear.... NEVER " hesitates" or " slips"

·
Registered
Fresh Out of Outbacks!
14,499 Posts
Check AT fluid level & condition. These usually shift sloppy with low or burnt ATF, but there could be other factors. Start there.

·
Registered
2005 Legacy 2.5i Wagon 4EAT; 2005 Forester XS 4EAT
672 Posts
It won't be wine red. It'll look more brown. You may even be able to smell it.

·
Registered
514 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks RedgeminiPA,

Just check dipstick ?

Or is there another way to check ?

appreciate your help

·
Registered
Fresh Out of Outbacks!
14,499 Posts
Yeah if it's burnt your nose will tell you so. If its just old it will be brown. If its really really old it will be gray or black.

You usually need to have it warmed up and in neutral to check the dipstick accurately. Verify this with the manual.

·
Registered
Onyx, 2008 LL Bean 3.0R and 2017 Honda Civic Hatchback Sport Touring
4,110 Posts
My H4 2.5 L manual tells me to warm the car up thoroughly by driving a few miles. Leave the car running. Cycle through the gears from P down to 1st and back up to park again. Leave the car running and check the fluid. It may be different for your H6, so check the manual as suggested above.

If you decide it needs to be changed, here is a thread that should help: http://www.subaruoutback.org/forums...anging-automatic-transmission-fluid-easy.html

·
Registered
514 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Update !!! I checked A/T fluid today.....FULL...CLEAN......RED color...like new.....any other thoughts ?

appreciate your time and help

·
Registered
19,368 Posts
If it never seems to "slip" once the transmission is clearly in gear, then it sounds as if what you have is delayed engagement.

Does the delay appear every time you move from P/N to D, or only after the car was parked for a while, such as overnight? What about going from P to R -- is there a similar delay, and again, is it only after the car has been at rest, or every time you switch to R?

How many miles on the car and transmission? Has the ATF ever been changed, and if so, when (date/mileage)?

Have you compared the 2003 with the 2006?

·
Registered
514 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
The delay happens everytime.....cold or warmed up.....car has 109,000....not sure if ever changed, but I checked yesterday and full, clean, red color....
The car was ALWAYS serviced a at Subaru dealership...carfax shows this...oil changed every 3000.............car always garaged....premium fuel........I was able to speak with original owners..........older couple on their 60s.....very emphatic about " service" to their vehicle....What can be done about delayed engagement ? will it hurt the car if I just continue to wait a few seconds .? then drive it ?

REALLY appreciate your help plain om.

.........not sure if happens from P to R.......I put in R and wait and look around before driving away.......

·
Registered
514 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Oh.....2006 is " tight"......does not happen to this car 104,000..my wifes car

Again.....really appreciate your help.....

Michael

·
Registered
01 Outback LL Bean
2,454 Posts
Delayed engagement is typically caused by something sticking in the valve train or possibly low line pressure.

I would do a full fluid swap. 3x drain and refill. I personally am running Dex VI fluid, but any quality Dex III fluid is fine. Folks over at Bobistheoilguy really like Vavloline MaxLife.

·
Registered
514 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Thanks Glennda5id,

appreciate the knowledge and help. will keep you/ all posted... I also read that it could be a bad solinoid ?

·
Registered
514 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Update...!!!! I went thru all the gears from Park.......all engaged " right away".....I went from Park to reverse..immediately in gear.....put in Park to 3rd....immediatley in gear....

Then I began going from Park to reverse to Drive to 3rd to 2nd to Park...all the while.....going back and forth in driveway.......ALL seemed to work fine....no delayed engagement.....this to me is puzzling......would shifting back and forth about 20 times do " something" to correct issue ?

Appreciate all feedback

·
Registered
19,368 Posts
At 109,000 miles, if the fluid hadn't been changed, there could be some deposits that are causing sticking or fluid flow restrictions. Perhaps working through the gears has helped alleviate the symptoms.

The maintenance schedule for ATF fluid changes is somewhat vague. It's clear in terms of when the ATF should be changed if the car is considered to be used in "severe service", but not for what might be "normal" use. It's possible the fluid wasn't changed, or wasn't changed more than once.

Dexron III type ATF is relatively inexpensive and readily available, and a few drain-and-refill routines, as has been suggested by Glennda5id, might well clear the problem. This thread has pretty well all the information you might need to do this.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts