Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I swap between winter and all season tires on my 2015 OB throughout the year and the problem that I have is that I have to get the TPMS reset every time. That means going to an indy shop and paying to get it done. And both the 'decent' places near me have been morons in doing it so I refuse to go to them anymore (One even took my car out for a stroll to the 7-11 to get food and a BIG GULP!).

I take a lot of road trips and it would be nice to have the TPMS function. Lately I have not been bothering to get it done and just have the TPMS light on all the time.

Does anyone know of a way I can reset the TPMS at home? I know I would need some tools but I'm wondering how expensive would it get. What would I need and is this realistic?

- Thanks

·
Registered
03 H6 OBW & 06 WRX Sportwagon
17,477 Posts
is that something a parts store could loan out? like an a/c vacuum pump or hub tamer ?

the 'all models' tools on Amazon seem to start at $100.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I've never heard of a parts store loaning out a TPMS tool, but then again I've never rented any parts. Does anyone know if the Amazon ones even work with the Outback? I had talked briefly with a master tech at a shop and he said the Subaru TPMSes are a bit finicky... I dunno how true that is though. He said you need to use two different tools. One to activate, another to reset.

I'd be willing to buy a TPMS tool on Amazon (if they aren't too pricey) but I want to make sure it works on ours sensors first.

Edit: I am also about to buy new wheels/tires for summer, and my winter set needs new tires. So if I need new TPMS sensors in both sets of wheels to make a certain TPMS reset tool work, I might can do that.

I found 2 threads that it doesn't want me to let me link...

www DOT subaruoutback DOT org/forums/81-wheels-tires-brakes-suspension/500145-tpms-sensor-info-subaru-outbacks-2.html
www DOT subaruoutback DOT org/forums/138-gen-5-2015-2019/501701-i-put-wheels-tire-rack-my-2019-got-tpms-work-thread.html

But it seems those are on the newer 2018-2019s. And for the record, I have tirerack TPMSs on my two sets of wheels currently.

·
Premium Member
2018 328d Wagon / 2018 3.6R Touring
706 Posts
There's a thread on here about folks that use the Autel TS508. It's not cheap but works on about everything. As to your point, my dealership wanted $150 every time I switched from my 3-season to winter tires and back again, so $300 per year. At that price, the tool has already paid for itself. And I can use it on my ex's Nissan Versa and my wife's BMW 328d wagon.

·
Registered
2017 Outback 3.6R Limited
424 Posts
See this post regarding the ATEQ Quickset tool I made in a similar thread yesterday.

I had talked briefly with a master tech at a shop and he said the Subaru TPMSes are a bit finicky... I dunno how true that is though. He said you need to use two different tools. One to activate, another to reset.
It is generally correct that you need one tool to activate new TPMS sensors, and a different tool to change which sensors are registered to the car (at least for the 2015 to 2017 Outbacks). However, the activation only needs to be done one time on any given set of sensors, to wake them from the "deep sleep" state when they're shipped from the sensor manufacturer. Most of those activation tools can also retrieve the ID numbers from the sensors. You then use those numbers in the other tool to get the info into the car.

·
Premium Member
2018 Subaru Outback Limited 3.6R Crystal White Pearl/black interior
374 Posts
Not to be rude, but buy a Honda. No programming necessary - the vehicle recognizes the new TPMS automatically. I am also disappointed that the re-programming on my 2018 Outback is so expensive.

·
Premium Member
706 Posts
My local tire shop acquired the tool right after I purchased it. Naturally. They reprogram for free if they're swapping the tires for you, and that's only $25.

·
Registered
2012 OB , 2017 Impreza
3,206 Posts
Not to be rude, but buy a Honda. No programming necessary - the vehicle recognizes the new TPMS automatically. I am also disappointed that the re-programming on my 2018 Outback is so expensive.
BMW does one better than that.The Germans realized that there is no need to measure the ACTUAL pressure in the tires....

The computer simply counts wheel rotation and can detect if one of the wheels is rotating faster than the others (HENCE that tire must have less air in it) No need for bothersome sensors within the tires.

·
Premium Member
706 Posts
BMW does one better than that.The Germans realized that there is no need to measure the ACTUAL pressure in the tires....

The computer simply counts wheel rotation and can detect if one of the wheels is rotating faster than the others (HENCE that tire must have less air in it) No need for bothersome sensors within the tires.
Must be on the older BMW's - 2014 328 wagon, 2016 X3, and 2018 328d wagon all use TPMS sensors.

·
Registered
421 Posts
I too got tired of running around getting the wheels swapped and programmed. Here are the easy answers.

1. If you haven't purchased the 2nd set yet, get cloned TPMS sensors. Many replacement sensors are programmable (off the car) and this will allow you to swap the wheelsets without worry or need for any programming. If your local shop doesn't clone them you can get pre-cloned sensors mailorder.

2. Buy an all in one programming tool. I have the older Autel TS501 cause it was the cheapest tool that works at both reading the sensor IDs and programming them into your Subaru. It also can program the Autel MX sensors if you want to clone your own set.

If you are in my neck of the woods I'll demo the tool for you on your own car!

·
Registered
'14 Subi OBW, '02 Subi OBW (gone now, but well loved), '15 Toyota Sienna, '13 Honda CR-V
1,707 Posts
This week I'll be putting my new Autel TS-508 to the test on my Toyota, Honda and Subaru as I 'dare' to change back to 3 season tires from winter packages. Assuming it works as it should, I'll likely put my older Autel TS-408 and ATEQ Quickset up for sale.

Reprogramming your onboard TPMS computer at home with your own gizmo is the only way to go (with the exception of making your own clone sensors).

·
Registered
2015 Outback Limited, 2018 Lexus LX570, 1998 Toyota LC 100, 1987 Toyota FJ60
756 Posts
Given the price I would just have one set of wheels and swap the tires every year. Costs me $50 each fall and spring.

·
Premium Member
2018 Subaru Outback Limited 3.6R Crystal White Pearl/black interior
374 Posts
Given the price I would just have one set of wheels and swap the tires every year. Costs me $50 each fall and spring.
Discount Tire charges nearly $100 here in Denver for that service.

·
Registered
85BRAT97SVX03Baja5mtHonda's
2,174 Posts
nanny state is killing us. I refuse to join it, still not owning a cell phoney.
-if my grandma and grandapa didnt need it , and they lived to 80_+, then i dont need it or want it, or would want to use it. get rid of that stuff. some scotch please

·
Registered
2015 Premium 2.5, Motegi MR118 wheels, Curt 2" hitch receiver, Yakima 2" Dr. Tray 3x bike rack
52 Posts

I haven't found it to be very useful on my wife's car. She shredded a sidewall this winter and drove it somewhere between 0-4 miles home without the light coming on. It didn't come on when I put a different sized wheel/tire combo on (3% different diameter - I don't know the sensitivity of the system) for the week and a half it took for a replacement tire in the correct size to come in. The light comes plenty on during the warmer months when the tires are a few psi apart.

·
Registered
2019, Subaru Outback Limited 3.6R
945 Posts

Porsche 911 is even better than that. GTFO and check the **** tire pressure yourself!

LOL

·
Registered
2015 Outback 3.6R Package 23
1,642 Posts
For a 2015, the ATEQ TPMS QuickSet is $120 at Tire Rack. The newer Outbacks changed senders and you have to use the more expensive tool.

The tool can read the current four serial numbers out of the ODB II port but you have to manually enter the other four on your laptop PC. Once you've done that, you just hit either the snowflake icon or the sunshine icon on the tool to program the winter or summer setting. If you have pushbutton start, you have to hit the start button twice with your foot off the brake to enable the ODB II port.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts