Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have been looking at the 2014 Forester and the 2013 Outback. As I am trying to justify the cost to my wife (her car), the Premium addition of the Forester is $500 more (best price).

Dealer said it was supply and demand... I say... GOOD. Better car cheaper

·
Registered
22,836 Posts
Different cars. Very different cars by the way. Price is the small difference.

If hauling kids beyond local short trips is part of the cars expected use the OB is far superior in seating space and behind the back seat space for gear and kids crap.

If seating room beyond the front seats is not a major concern or need then the cheaper Forester is not a bad choice and a the new one has some nice improvements most people won't notice unless they are pointed out.

Big road trip ride the OB and Legacy same car interior wise are subaru's top machines for this type of use. Forester is great for the single and two seater primary type use with local around town rear passenger hauling.

·
Registered
22,836 Posts
If price is a bigger factor than off road capability and your not hauling dogs behind the rear seat the Legacy should be on your list to at least go look at and drive.

The floor space in the trunk is identical to the OB and even the floor to top of trunk space is slightly larger than the floor to privacy cover space in the OB. We have both and besides the dog we pack both cars nearly the same exact way with the same stuff except the dog. Seating space is identical between the legacy and the OB. Price difference is considerable between the legacy and OB. Legacy is also much nicer drive on the pavement and long trips vs the taller OB. Legacy is just as good snow machine for normal snow events and conditions as the OB.

So worth looking at and at least considering if you don't need dog hauling behind the rear seat space - and major off roading ability.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks. 3 dogs and a 2 year old. We have a honda crv now that has been great but with 202k it is due for an upgrade. I like the outback but think my wife will like the forester better.

·
Registered
'11 Outback 2.5i CVT - '06 Forester X 5MT
1,766 Posts
IMO, the OB offers much more bang for the buck. The Forester is a good option if you desire car like handling with wagon hauling capabilities. The OB offers more room and a softer ride, but at the expense of handling.

The OB is by far a better family hauler. I bought an '06 Forester for myself because I wanted a good handling, fun to drive car that I can throw my son and a few items in and run a few errands. I will choose the OB every time on a long haul trip. The '14 Forester is by all means leaps and bounds ahead of my '06 Forester as far as options and style, but the purpose is till the same. A small SUV that drives like a car.

If I were looking new I'd get an OB anyday over a Forester, given the minor price difference. I'd jump on a Crosstrek for my own personal use and save a few thousand $$ along the way. Ideally I'd love a Legacy Wagon and call it a day.

·
Registered
22,836 Posts
Thanks. 3 dogs and a 2 year old. We have a honda crv now that has been great but with 202k it is due for an upgrade. I like the outback but think my wife will like the forester better.
I wouldn't bother with the Forester if thats your passenger list. The Outback kids car seat space is superior to the Forester. That is a huge deal! Especially when they get a little larger. Mine are 1 and 4 the OB even lets us sit an adult back there with the two car seats when we need a referee.

The 75LB doberman rides in his bed usually ontop of our duffel bags and various gear when we do weekend trips to grandmas house. Plenty of room for everyone. The Forester works for short local around town stuff the daily daycare run etc but beyond that its a tad too narrow and the spacing between front and back seating gets tight with the car seat and kid factor.

Only upside is that the forester is a smaller foot print for shooting around parking lots etc vs the OB starts to feel a bit big in the parking lot type situation.

·
Registered
Onyx, 2008 LL Bean 3.0R and 2017 Honda Civic Hatchback Sport Touring
4,112 Posts
I like the outback but think my wife will like the forester better.
Of course, says the guy coming up on 24 yrs with my wife.

Besides the room, the OB looks a little cooler than the Forester. I'd take a long test drive (some places let you keep them overnight) and find some fairly rough terrain - not off-road, but gravel or city driving to see how each does. If you live in the boonies or get a bunch of snow and mud, get the Outback.

·
Registered
2016 Outback Ltd 2.5 eyesight Nav push button Hole in roof, Lapis Blue
738 Posts
Da wife and I went car shopping liked the CRV drove some Subarus she had been saying for a few years she wanted a CRV or Forester. went to a dealer I know we or should I say she ( I only rode in the back seat) wanted it to be her choice. Then I said why not take the 1 Outback CPO they had on the lot, got to tell you riding in the back only of both cars I thought to myself "hope she picks the Outback". You couldn't compare the ride and at that point we had only pulled out of the lot! She had her choice a 2012 Forester w/ 12K or a 2010 Outback w/ 34k, We left with the Outback ! They had some issue with DMV and my temp registration was running out, my dealer gave us their brand new Forester service loaner for a week while waiting for my plates after having driven the OB for 3 weeks and then the Forester for a week I KNOW We KNOW we made the right choice!

·
Registered
2015 Subaru Outback 2.5 Limited Eyesight Lapis Blue Pearl
71 Posts
The new Forester has a lot more seating room than previous generations. And we were planning on getting it to replace our 2006 Forester... But after sitting in a Outback Limited, my wife didn't even want to wait until the new Forester came out. We did go by and look to make sure we made the right choice... Resounding yes. No questions about it, our 2013 Ouback Limited with EyeSight is perfect!

·
Registered
2013 Limited w/EyeSight
352 Posts
I have 3 kids, 1 dog, but in any combination one or all of my kids liked the Outback's rear seat when we were testing cars.

My adult associates like the Outback rear seat too.

I know nothing about the new Forester but know well the generations prior and the gen 4 Outback wheelbase or size stand out as more comfy and stable over bumps, rail crossings etc.... My bro has Forester and it's great for his family of two but we spend time with both cars and the Outback comfort and stability shows. My suggestion would be investigate whether or not the updated Forester has gained some of that.

IMO they're all decent products but I am glad I paid the premium for the larger of the two.

·
Registered
'13 Outback 3.6R Limited
352 Posts
I have been looking at the 2014 Forester and the 2013 Outback. As I am trying to justify the cost to my wife (her car), the Premium addition of the Forester is $500 more (best price).

Dealer said it was supply and demand... I say... GOOD. Better car cheaper
These are key words that jump out at me! If the vehicle is for her let her pick which one she wants.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Thank you. I will do just that. It will be her car. I want the best features for the best price. The real issue is that we want to keep the car for 200k miles and want to have the best bang for the buck...

·
Registered
2013 Outback 3.6R Limited
186 Posts
IMO, the OB offers much more bang for the buck. The Forester is a good option if you desire car like handling with wagon hauling capabilities. The OB offers more room and a softer ride, but at the expense of handling.

<snip>
I have to respectfully disagree. I drove both in 2011 before picking the OB. The Forester had horrific body roll, and the OB was an order of magnitude better in cornering. (granted, both are several orders of magnitude worse than an Audi)

Now, if the Forester has been dramatically redone in the suspension department, this experience may no longer apply.

·
Registered
22,836 Posts
I have to respectfully disagree. I drove both in 2011 before picking the OB. The Forester had horrific body roll, and the OB was an order of magnitude better in cornering. (granted, both are several orders of magnitude worse than an Audi)

Now, if the Forester has been dramatically redone in the suspension department, this experience may no longer apply.
I'm looking forward to the 2014 my Forester wanders threads. That should be fun

·
Registered
'11 Outback 2.5i CVT - '06 Forester X 5MT
1,766 Posts
I've driven my parents '09 and '11 Foresters and they seem a little more nimble through the curves than my '11 OB. My '06 seems even better, but I believe it's on the smaller Impreza platform.

Through broad sweeping turns they both feel about the same, but cut up some curvey back roads and the Forester feels more firm and nimble. It could be that the suspension is stiffer and therefore "feels" better, but in either case, I'll take my Forester over the OB for a fun back road speed session, but give me a 6 hour road trip and it's the OB all the way.

I agree, neither is a handling dream, but in my own experience, the Foresters handle stiffer and roll a little bit less through the turns.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts