Subaru Outback Forums banner

AAWireless

7K views 27 replies 17 participants last post by  Blue Ridge Subie 
#1 ·
After months of waiting got my AAWireless dongle. Works as advertised. Sync-up takes less than 10 seconds.

Attachments

See less See more
#4 ·
It makes it so you don't have to plug in your phone to use Android Auto. I can then use wireless charging for my phone or not even take it out of my pocket.

#6 ·
Literally got it this morning. Besides with turning the car on to see it sync, I haven't gone anywhere.

#10 ·
I received mine a couple of days ago but haven't had a chance to try it out, though I have heard good things here and elsewhere! Here's a link to the Indigogo campaign:

#20 ·
Well that's what I'm trying to figure out. From what I understand, the proper fix for this is for the OB headunit manufacture to update their firmware to "inform" Android Auto at runtime the size of the screen real estate available, and then Android Auto would be able to take advantage of the full screen available. I'm assuming that will happen sometime in the next few months.

But I noticed yesterday that the AAWireless dongle has this ability to manual override the DPI setting that gets sent to Android Auto. I don't quite know if this is the exact same setting that the headunit manufacturer is supposed to update as well, so I was just wondering if anyone had tried it, and if it worked.

When I finally get my AAWireless unit and try this for myself, I will post my results here.

#21 ·
I also have one due "anytime" and will be nice not to have to plug in all the time... glad to hear others are still having positive results.

#22 ·
Until, and I hope it happens, AA is made full screen for the big screens - I have no use for it. I don't get why half the screen has to be covered with those info boxes.

I get better information propping my cell phone and using it.

#23 ·
I have been using the AA Wireless for about 5 months and it works great. I do get it disconnecting at the same commute spot daily, but I believe there to be some sort of electrical interference.
As far as having it be full screen, you are pipe dreaming. This is not something AA Wireless needs to do it is something that Android Auto/Google and Subaru needs to do. Strangely, when my daughter's wireless Carplay dongle is utilized, it is full screen as if it were wired in. If Apple can make this happen I was certain that Google could, but yet here we are waiting.
I do prefer leaving my cell in my coat pocket or in the door handle and not having any wires running all throughout the center console.

#25 ·
Has anyone with AAWireless & 2022 Outback been successful in updating the DPI settings to get full screen for Android Auto?

After months of waiting my AAWireless has finally come in. Pretty much works as expected. I can see where to update DPI in the app settings, but I have no idea what values to put in there to even see what works.

Thank you!

#26 ·
I tried AAWireless and it disconnected too often while I was driving. At first it only did it once after an hour or so of driving and it generally worked well. But on a 5000 miles trip over 3 weeks it happened way too often. I couldn't risk it failing when I was at a critical point for needing navigation in an unfamiliar place, so one day after multiple failures in a short time I pulled it out and stopped using it. I was plugging the phone in a lot for charging since I removed the wireless charging pad, so I didn't really see the point except for short trips. I doubt I'll use it again. I'm past the return window.

#27 ·
my AA wireless (not in a Subaru any more) works great 99.8% of the time, the rare RARE event it doesn't..... simply unplug/re-plug AA back in resolves it for me!

#28 ·
It got to be a less rare event as I was approaching Salt Lake City, where I had to not only navigate unfamiliar freeways, but also find my way to my airbnb lodging. I'm talking about 5-6 disconnects within 30 minutes. And there's a 10-20 second delay before it reconnects, and I'd have to touch the android auto button on my screen again to bring up the map. My phone was less than a foot away, and uncovered. I was lucky that it never failed when I had a turn coming up, but I don't see any reason to test my luck again.