Subaru Outback Forums banner
  • Our 4th of July contest is live! Enter HERE for your chance to win a $400 Walmart gift card.
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Outback of the Month Challenge!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
my car tires(all of them) have an abnormal wear on the side. It seems to be shaved off on the side. I checked with other outbacks and they don’t seem to have this pattern. My car is just about to reach 18k km. Anybody else have this problem?

·
Premium Member
2020 Onyx
10,198 Posts
To me it looks like low tire pressure coupled with aggressive or sharp turns that have the tread rolling over onto its side.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
To me it looks like low tire pressure coupled with aggressive or sharp turns that have the tread rolling over onto its side.
I checked the tire pressure every 2 months, it’s always within normal range. And i drive a bit slow too, almost never speed up on sharp turns..

·
Premium Member
2020 Onyx
10,198 Posts
I guess that rules out my first guess.

If it were only the front tires I might suspect incorrect tow but even then having the tread wear so far on the edge it seems unlikely. Since it's all 4 tires it's not likely to be scraping curbs.

Do you have more photos? Maybe I'm not seeing what I think I'm seeing?

I'm noticing that the mold line on the edge is still intact and not scraped off so maybe it's not wearing on the edge like I originally thought.

·
Registered
134 Posts
my car tires(all of them) have an abnormal wear on the side. It seems to be shaved off on the side. I checked with other outbacks and they don’t seem to have this pattern. My car is just about to reach 18k km. Anybody else have this problem?

View attachment 513724
Looks to me like you need to have your alignment checked. Not normal. Paying for a 4-wheel alignment will likely pay off by avoiding early tire replacement. Also a safety issue.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I guess that rules out my first guess.

If it were only the front tires I might suspect incorrect tow but even then having the tread wear so far on the edge it seems unlikely. Since it's all 4 tires it's not likely to be scraping curbs.

Do you have more photos? Maybe I'm not seeing what I think I'm seeing?

I'm noticing that the mold line on the edge is still intact and not scraped off so maybe it's not wearing on the edge like I originally thought.
Yeah i also don’t believe its because of curb scraping. I can see it in all 4 tires. I will add 2 more photos so you can see more. I’ve been experiencing horizontal shake issues over bumps for about a year now. I am trying to find out why since all dealers seems to think that i am out of my mind

·
Registered
2015 Outback 2.5i Limited, Ice Silver/Black
2,417 Posts
Automatic car wash tracks.

·
Registered
2015 3.6R Limited w/ES
3,784 Posts
It seems you're not referring to the tread, but rather the sidewall? I never concern myself with sidewall scuffs. Plenty of possible causes (alignment not being one of them).

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
It seems you're not referring to the tread, but rather the sidewall? I never concern myself with sidewall scuffs. Plenty of possible causes (alignment not being one of them).
Thats new to me, i didn’t know you guys call that sidewall. Thank you.
So i guess it’s just curbs then?

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Do you or your service center use automatic car washes? There is a trolley system that grabs and guides the car thru the wash via the tires.
Yes i do, but here in australia we drive in manually. There is no trolley system.. at least not in my neighborhood

1 - 12 of 12 Posts