Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
03 H6 OBW & 06 WRX Sportwagon
17,560 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone had this done before?

trying to decide if it would save me any money taking the knuckle down to the dealership vs driving the car down.

Does a dealership do the bearing swap on the car? Or are they gonna remove the knuckle?

I know it won't be cheap, any idea how much?

thanx

·
Registered
18,051 Posts
Not all that familiar with the Impreza-based chassis -- but wondering if the 06 uses the integrated bearing/hub as on the Legacy and Outback. If it does, replacement is far simpler -- there's no major dis-assembly of the suspension components or the need to use a press etc. Barring seized bolts etc, it's less than an hour for an experienced tech. (And many have had lots of experience with the rear bearing/hub replacement on 3rd generation Outbacks!) Count the hour labor plus part cost (check with on-line dealers for a rough idea of cost).

Perhaps also look at http://www.subaruoutback.org/forums/99-do-yourself-illustrated-guides/46552-05-09-replacing-rear-wheel-bearing.html for some insights into the integrated hub replacement.

·
Registered
03 H6 OBW & 06 WRX Sportwagon
17,560 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Not all that familiar with the Impreza-based chassis -- but wondering if the 06 uses the integrated bearing/hub as on the Legacy and Outback. If it does, replacement is far simpler -- there's no major dis-assembly of the suspension components or the need to use a press etc. Barring seized bolts etc, it's less than an hour for an experienced tech. (And many have had lots of experience with the rear bearing/hub replacement on 3rd generation Outbacks!) Count the hour labor plus part cost (check with on-line dealers for a rough idea of cost).

Perhaps also look at http://www.subaruoutback.org/forums/99-do-yourself-illustrated-guides/46552-05-09-replacing-rear-wheel-bearing.html for some insights into the integrated hub replacement.
I will look again later today, but it seems the 'cartridge' type bearings didn't make it to Imprezas until 08 or later.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts