Subaru Outback Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of December's Outback of the Month Challenge!
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
2013 Outback 2.5i Touring
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
It's time to replace all tires for my 2013 Outback Touring. Just bought 4 Pirelli P7 All Season Plus from Canadian Tire but haven't mount them. Just found the manufacture date is 1216, which means the tire has been more than 1.5 years. I am wondering if this is acceptable since I heard the lifespan of tires are about 5-7 years even if you don't use it. Any suggestions on it?

·
Registered
2015 3.6 Premium
1,340 Posts
1216 would indicate it was made in Dec 2016 I would have thought. That would make them 10 months old.

Reactions: torrentleo

·
Meh.
I has wagons.
12,383 Posts
Depending on my annual mileage, it might irritate me.

If I drove 20,000+ miles a year, not so much as I'd be hitting tire wear before age. If I drove 8,000 it would be somewhat irksome.

·
On the Super Mod Squad
2002 3.0 VDC Wag + 2018 2.5 Leg Ltd
27,171 Posts
It's time to replace all tires for my 2013 Outback Touring. Just bought 4 Pirelli P7 All Season Plus from Canadian Tire but haven't mount them. Just found the manufacture date is 1216, which means the tire has been more than 1.5 years. I am wondering if this is acceptable since I heard the lifespan of tires are about 5-7 years even if you don't use it. Any suggestions on it?
if you dig up the US DOT recommendations, it actually says 6 years on the car being used..... so that discounts the time being stored on a rack.
(preferably stored out of sunlight, not to hot, not to cool,...just like goldie-locks would like).

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
if you dig up the US DOT recommendations, it actually says 6 years on the car being used..... so that discounts the time being stored on a rack.
(preferably stored out of sunlight, not to hot, not to cool,...just like goldie-locks would like).
Thanks. Any link available for the recommendations? I am trying to find any official statement but haven't got any so far.

·
On the Super Mod Squad
27,171 Posts
Thanks. Any link available for the recommendations? I am trying to find any official statement but haven't got any so far.
I dug it up a few years ago and linked it here..... (tried to find it before when I made my last post on this thread, ... and gave up).

I think I put on a thread about ideal techniques for storing tires. (like for 3 season taking turns with snow tires,....on racks, in tire rack bags,...).

the only tires I would be really concerned with degrading are studdless sticky ice tires. ...as they are known to loose their ability to stick to the ice after 2 seasons. ...(I run studded snows though,...only chuck them when the tread depth gets too shallow)..

·
Registered
OBW H6 VDC, Tribeca, XT6
12,385 Posts
it's unlikely to be a big deal since they were more than likely stored well and probably moved around. they would have avoided UV degradation and maybe some/most ozone, but started oxygen degradation. you can google how tires degrade, it's a studied process that's well known.

It's not ideal, take note and run them and ask next time before purchase.
if you use tires very little then maybe it's worth asking.

i'd be more concerned if they were a cheap no name tire which tend to be less forgiving and degrade quicker.

·
Registered
2010 White cvt 2.5 Limited with moonroof
83 Posts
I prefer a few months from production date. You can always ask the store manager to see if they can swap them for you at no charge. I hope it's not an online transaction coz shipping cost might be involved.
I got new Michelin tires for my wife's Pilot under warranty via America's Tire. The assistant manager assured me the new set will be within my expected mfg date. He also ensured that I can inspect the mfg date prior installation and if I'm not happy with the date, they will order a new set for me. Good luck.

·
Premium Member
'03 outback limited, '01 Outback Limited, '01 Legacy L wagon, '96 Legacy Brighton wagon
2,809 Posts
Store your tires in a cool dry place wrapped in black plastic trash bags. Other than that, there is not much else you can do to help preserve them ( this from a customer was was a chief chemist for Firestone).

·
On the Super Mod Squad
27,171 Posts
here I rounded up some things, ...various safety groups, tire manufactures, auto manufacturers,
and the governments of the world all discuss this issue...

Tire Industry Fighting Legislation to Get Aged Tires Off the Road - ABC News

NTSB to Release Long-Awaited Tire Safety Recommendations | Safety Research & Strategies, Inc.

______

and on this board, I remember a guy in urban queens NY that had a gen 2 car took pics of some tires with visible cracks

http://www.subaruoutback.org/forums...6433-do-dry-cracked-tires-need-replacing.html

just noticing the mix of dates on them also. pretty awful looking tires. (bizarre the dealer did not want to sell a whole set at the start of the thread but then did so on the end of it).
(parked outside there for from 2005 on the manufacture date to 2014 when the thread was).

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I dug it up a few years ago and linked it here..... (tried to find it before when I made my last post on this thread, ... and gave up).

I think I put on a thread about ideal techniques for storing tires. (like for 3 season taking turns with snow tires,....on racks, in tire rack bags,...).

the only tires I would be really concerned with degrading are studdless sticky ice tires. ...as they are known to loose their ability to stick to the ice after 2 seasons. ...(I run studded snows though,...only chuck them when the tread depth gets too shallow)..
Thanks. That's informative:smile2:

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
it's unlikely to be a big deal since they were more than likely stored well and probably moved around. they would have avoided UV degradation and maybe some/most ozone, but started oxygen degradation. you can google how tires degrade, it's a studied process that's well known.

It's not ideal, take note and run them and ask next time before purchase.
if you use tires very little then maybe it's worth asking.

i'd be more concerned if they were a cheap no name tire which tend to be less forgiving and degrade quicker.
Thanks. It's hard to tell if the tires are well kept from the tires. But I notice the paper brand tag are in good shape. So I will assume they didn't expose the tires outdoor very long...lol

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I prefer a few months from production date. You can always ask the store manager to see if they can swap them for you at no charge. I hope it's not an online transaction coz shipping cost might be involved.
I got new Michelin tires for my wife's Pilot under warranty via America's Tire. The assistant manager assured me the new set will be within my expected mfg date. He also ensured that I can inspect the mfg date prior installation and if I'm not happy with the date, they will order a new set for me. Good luck.
Thanks. This Pirelli tire is kind of out of stock everywhere in Vancouver when I ordered them (I don't know why). So Canadian Tire ordered four from another province of Canada. I asked them about the manufacture date, but I was told that there is no way to know it until they are delivered. So I guess next time I should find something in stock so that I can check the date in time.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
here I rounded up some things, ...various safety groups, tire manufactures, auto manufacturers,
and the governments of the world all discuss this issue...

Tire Industry Fighting Legislation to Get Aged Tires Off the Road - ABC News

NTSB to Release Long-Awaited Tire Safety Recommendations | Safety Research & Strategies, Inc.

______

and on this board, I remember a guy in urban queens NY that had a gen 2 car took pics of some tires with visible cracks

http://www.subaruoutback.org/forums...6433-do-dry-cracked-tires-need-replacing.html

just noticing the mix of dates on them also. pretty awful looking tires. (bizarre the dealer did not want to sell a whole set at the start of the thread but then did so on the end of it).
(parked outside there for from 2005 on the manufacture date to 2014 when the thread was).
Thanks. I think Canada should have regulations to kick aged tires out of the market. At present it seems no policy on it.

https://globalnews.ca/news/2338584/...etailers-have-no-policy-on-age-of-tires-sold/

Tire age may not be a big issue. The critical point is we don't know how the tires have been kept. And it's usually not easy to tell if the rubber is still ok just from the appearance.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts