Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
2013 Outback 2.5i CVT Limited, Nav+EyeSight
228 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
First post and a long one, sorry about that! I've been driving a Jeep Liberty since 2005, and this will be my first Subaru. I've decided on the 2013 after reading about a lot of improvements made even since the 2012 model in the CVT to improve gas mileage.

So the real question - what options should I get?

I think I want to get the Limited, to get the leather seats, and I'm going to get the moonroof package as well

Should I get the NAV package and/or the EyeSight packages?

I use my phone for navigation, so I wouldn't want the actual navigation part - but can anyone comment on the other features that come with it? I'm guessing with a large screen on the dashboard there have to be some features you won't get with the normal stereo. I know that the backup camera display would be in the dash instead of the mirror - is that better/worse? Does it do song display, temperature, compass or anything?

I read that the mirror in the 2013 models no longer have a compass in them, but that you can buy a mirror made by the same manufacturer that still includes it? It seems like most people are getting the replacement mirror to add the backup camera display, but has anyone gotten it to add the compass back in? Does that work fine, or is there some additional wiring for the compass that is needed?

I could probably go back into the dealership and play with the nav system for awhile to get an idea, but I'm guessing other owners have a much more comprehensive opinion on whether they like it or hate it :)

EyeSight - cool or cheesy/expensive?

Some other questions I think I've found/will find the answers searching on here:

2" Hitch Receiver: which ones are good? I saw one that seems pretty universally recommended as the best, but $300 seems like a lot for a hitch to me! Is there a runner up for under $200 that is good enough? EDIT-TO-ADD: I like how high the Torklift is, but I don't have any particular need to "hide the crossbar". But coming from a jeep with a lift kit, I'll be sad if I scrape in a parking lot from the loss of departure angle :)

Roof Racks: Just from looking at them in the showroom I already hate them. At least the bars can be 40" apart on the 2013, but there is still no tie-down points anywhere on the roof unless you put a basket up there. Not really a question, I guess. I see a Yakima kit that doesn't work on the 2013 but might be updated eventually, and some rather expensive-sounding custom track installs.

Thanks all!

·
Premium Member
2016 Outback: 2.5i Limited with Eyesight
50 Posts
I just bought a 2013 2.5i Limited Saturday. I did get the Moonroof package. I choose the 2.5 because I wanted the improved MPG (Nissan Titan got 14mpg) and the AWD will be a help with the KC area ice and snow.

I would have loved to get the full boat Outback with EyeSight and Nav but it came down to staying within my budget. I was going to go with a 2.5i Premium, but once I test drove the Limited I knew that I wanted the options that were included.

I have just over 100 miles so no comments on the CVT yet. However, I am showing an indicated 26 to 30 mpg, very nice to see.

Good luck on choosing, I thought the Outback was a great value.
FWIW,
Paul Hertel

·
Registered
2017 Outback, 14 Jeep Grand Cherokee, 07 BMW E-93
604 Posts
1900 miles on the Outback 3.6L with Eye Sight which of course means nav and moonroof. I have no use for the moonroof but like the nav for nav and the displays for the various radios-AM-FM-FMHD-SAT. Very nice to be able to display that info as well as other car info and the large display for the camera.

I wanted ES so these other things came with it which I am now happy to have.
The ES functions very well with few false alarms and few times it does not function (like driving into the sun while setting). If you can't see it can't see because after all it is a dual camera system. This has been around since 2006 in Japan so it is well through out and I appreciate it everyday...

It all boils down to your requirements.
I wanted ES so you get a lot of extra stuff with that but then again I got my Outback for 1400 bucks under invoice.

I also wanted the trailer hitch and some other things. I didn't want the hidden hitch but in retrospec I should have gone with it because the stock one sticks out a couple inches making it a really nice place to bash your shins.

I bought the 3.6L for one reason, more power because we tow with it and go west with it and the 2.5L for our requirements didn't cut it. The 2.5L to us with CVT is way too buzzy at highway speeds vs the 3.6L.
My mileage over 1900 miles is a solid 25.5mpg.

If I were to do this all over again the only thing I would not do is get the factory hitch. Everything else is excellent and the Outback is very quiet...

·
Registered
2011 SSM Outback 2.5i Premium
2,063 Posts
I can't really comment on the OP's questions except to say that you should get what you want.

Yes, the 2.5 is a little "buzzy", but for me it only lasts until it's warm. My 2.5i MPG is just over 24 in a little over a year. My best tank was almost 31 MPG (mine is rated for 29 highway), 100% highway, doing 70-75 MPH AND over an hour of traffic before I could "open it up" for the highway run (Morning departure from an hour out on LI, had to fight morning NYC traffic on the LIE and crossing the Throgs Neck bridge for the first leg of the trip).

Don't want this to turn into a 2.5 vs 3.6 thread, we have enough of those and the OP seems decided on the 2.5 already as I didn't see the engine question asked.

·
Premium Member
2018 Outback Limited 2.5i Dark Blue Pearl/Ivory w'Eyesight
703 Posts
I would suggest that you get the All Weather Package (heated seats are great, even in Central Valley Callifornia), the Moonroof (I like to open it in the morning and evening in the spring and fall), the back-up camera (really helps in parking), and the Puddle lights (to see the ground as you approach at night. These are my particular likes. The rest just comes with the OB.

·
Registered
15MY 2.5i w/ES
592 Posts
I'm looking to purchase a 2013 Limited with moonroof, but like you, I'm not sure if Eyesight is worth it. Part of the reason is because you have to get Nav and the other part, at least for me, is that I don't think Eyesight will work, when I want it the most. That is during times of heavy snow or rain.

When it's dark and raining heavy, I have a heck of a time seeing the lanes so if I knew it worked then, it would be worth it for me ... even with having to take the Nav. But since it's camera based, I know it's going to work best when I least need it help...

So for me it's this... If I can get a 2.5i Limited on the cheap , as in way below invoice, I'll take Eyesight. If not, Subaru can keep it; unless someone with it can point me to how it's really worth the extra.

·
Registered
2004 Toyota Sienna, miss my eyesight. Life moves on.
982 Posts
I'm looking to purchase a 2013 Limited with moonroof, but like you, I'm not sure if Eyesight is worth it. Part of the reason is because you have to get Nav and the other part, at least for me, is that I don't think Eyesight will work, when I want it the most. That is during times of heavy snow or rain.

When it's dark and raining heavy, I have a heck of a time seeing the lanes so if I knew it worked then, it would be worth it for me ... even with having to take the Nav. But since it's camera based, I know it's going to work best when I least need it help...

So for me it's this... If I can get a 2.5i Limited on the cheap , as in way below invoice, I'll take Eyesight. If not, Subaru can keep it; unless someone with it can point me to how it's really worth the extra.
I drove home Sunday night in really dark rain and it worked great. Adaptive cruise worked almost the whole way.

As good as Eyesight is its not magic. It doesn't know if its icy or not. You should be exhibiting good driving skills in bad weather, not holding your breath.

·
Registered
2007 Chrysler 300C built 5.7
396 Posts
I drove home Sunday night in really dark rain and it worked great. Adaptive cruise worked almost the whole way.

As good as Eyesight is its not magic. It doesn't know if its icy or not. You should be exhibiting good driving skills in bad weather, not holding your breath.
Idk where you are in Washington, but the rain you had last night may have been what hit western MT from about 5am to the afternoon. The Missoula valley got probably the hardest rain we've had all year and the adaptive cruise still worked perfectly.

To the OP, I was going to get a 2.5i Premium 6MT with the all weather package until I drove an eyesight equipped limited. Eyesight impressed me that much. I wish it were a standalone feature as, like you, I will never use the in-car navigation because my phone has google maps/navigation. After owning my 300c for 5 years, I vowed to never again own a car that didn't have rain sensing windshield wipers... eyesight is more than a fair tradeoff. Adaptive cruise control is incredible.

Btw, maybe it's just me, but I noticed the H/K stereo in cars equipped with navigation seem to have more bass. Granted, you have to be an amateur DJ to adjust the EQ, but I noticed a discernible difference once I had the settings where I liked them. Anyone else notice this before buying their OB?

·
Registered
2013 Outback 2.5 Premium 6mt
187 Posts
Don't forget the basics. I'd recommend the rear bumper cover, some sort of mudflaps (I love my Rally Armors), something to protect the front paint like the hood protector and/or clear bra, all weather floor mats, and back seat protectors.

·
Registered
2013 Outback 2.5 Limited PZEV
13 Posts
FWIW, I bought the limited with moonroof for 3-4 weeks now and every time another driver does something stupid, I think I probably should have gotten the eyesight package.

I wasn't really interested in navigation either, but I suspect it wouldn't be bad to have it integrated into the car (especially if you are in a congested area and spend $48/yr for nav traffic). You also get a bigger screen for the backup camera. I really didn't care if I had the moonroof, but I did want the backup camera and the homelink, plus I am not sure I saw any limiteds without the moonroof.

Even though the ES upgrade is about 2K over the moonroof package (maybe a little less if you get a deal), I figure it would be worth it even just to save me from the hassle of one minor accident. Of course you can't put a price on saving you from a serious accident with injuries. Personally I think the upgraded screen and navigation is worth at least $600, so to me the ES only adds $1200-$1400 over that (and the moonroof package). I usually keep my cars for 10 years, but I think this time I may be looking to trade in as soon as I can do it without taking too much of a hit on my trade - and when I can get proximity entry with ES.

I realize this is a new feature in the US and it is typically found on much more expensive luxury vehicles, but I am a little surprised that is is only available on the limited and bundled with so many other options. You might think a brand with such a strong safety image would try to make it as accessible as possible for all of their buyers.

·
Registered
'14 3.6R Outback
2,345 Posts
I came from a 2001 Cherokee and also use my phone for Nav. I did not get the Nav for that reason but wish I had the rear camera.

I was going to go Gray, but very happy I went with my Fav color the SkyBlue.

I didn't want the all-weather-package, but the price was right. I was wrong. Heated seats are awesome, I've even used the heated mirrors more than a few times and I have not had the car in a winter yet.

I hate the auto rear mirror. Yesterday I had some *ahem, person behind me with their high beams on. You can not manually change the mirror to dark so I had to push the mirror out of my sight. I rarely do not know which way is north so the compass is more distracting than useful and I really wanted an auto rear mirror with compass. So, I was wrong about that too.

My advice? Try it out and take your time. You are going to be stuck with your decision (hopefully) for a few years and it's not worth regrets.

·
Registered
2013 Limited w/EyeSight
352 Posts
Welcome.

I ended up with Ltd EyeSight model even though I spent a long time thinking about a more basic model.

My very frugal wife encouraged the EyeSight package for a few reasons. One is we lost a family member in a car accident that was not their fault a year ago. We have no delusions that EyeSight is a save all but now that we've had it we see how it with all the safety features could help. My wife also hates distracted drivers and liked the way the nav package (must with EyeSight) displayed everything high and large.

Engine was another where we had a lot of deliberation. I was driving a 6 prior. So far I'm happy with the 4.

YMMV on this one but my life is full of dirt - trail builder, ski club/area director. I got the all weather mats, seat back protectors, side and rear nets, rear cover. No regrets there.

Dirt influenced my color choice too. My mother in law has the cream interior on Outback a year older. It's VERY nice looking but light in color for a guy working around dirt, 3 kids, dog.

We chose silver because our gray car shows all the scratches and it's hotter in summer. I wanted white but said no to the light interior and took a break from 28 years of white cars in the family.

To be honest I didn't like some to much in the nav systems of every vehicle we tried but like that safer and more convenient display. You can still use your phone and the large display.

Finally, I love the adaptive cruise and can't say that enough.

My buyer's remorse for the expensive electronics didn't last long.

·
Registered
'15 STi and '13 GTI
1,009 Posts
If I were buying a 2013 today it would be another Limited with the SAP package. Second choice would be the Nav and moonroof. I haven't tried the Eyesight yet so I don't have an opinion on it.

I don't know if I'd opt for the 3.6 or not though... It's something I'd have to really think about.

When we bought our car the only included accessory was the wheel locks, no other accessories pre-installed. Since then I have bought and installed the interior illumination kit, all weather mats, window vents and rear seat back protectors.

·
Registered
228 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Thanks for all the responses!

I didn't say in the original post, but I already decided on the 2.5L 4cyl. I test drove it and was pretty happy with the power, and the 2700lb towing limit is enough for what I need. The gas mileage will be really nice :)

I definitely want the all-weather package. Heated seats are pretty nice to have in New England, they heat up much faster than the air does.

Backup camera comes with the Moonroof, so I guess I get that, too. I don't know if I would have paid extra for the backup camera, but from just the couple test drives I've done with cars that have them, I kind of like it. I wouldn't use it as the primary means of backing up, but I like the extra security of being able to double-check to make sure there's really nothing there.

I was expecting to be talked out of the eyesight/nav, but now I think I've talked myself into it. I drive a lot, and I think the adaptive cruise will be nice to have, and certainly extra safety can't hurt. I probably won't use the navigation at all because google is just so much better than any in-dash system (and does traffic as well).

Things like the bumper cover, mudflaps, cargo tray, seat covers, puddle lights, floor lights - are those things that typically come pre-installed, or are they something I'd be able to just buy from the dealer and install myself after I buy it? At least the dirt-protection and extra lighting I'd definitely get. Perhaps not the mudflaps.

·
Registered
2013 3.6R SAP
50 Posts
Eyesight - Neat feature but I hate how much space it takes up. It's too obtrusive for me. I also worry about how well it would work in winter where quit often that upper middle area of the windshield is least likely to be clear.

Nav - I have a new phone and used to use it for navigation, but I find the car system significantly more convenient to use. Whereas my phone requires a data connection to operate the navigation, the Nav system in the car does not. Also, the voice notifications on the Nav system are much easier to hear yet without being too much of an annoyance. Plus the large screen is easier to see than my phone and I don't need to have any sort of phone mount. The Bluetooth system is nothing sort of amazing to me. It operates so much smoother than any previous link system I've tried but granted I think any previous ones I've tried were little more than basic headset style links.

I always get all weather floor mats but at my dealer most of the Outbacks have them included.

Personally, I am loving the special appearance package. They might seem like small things but the keyless start and driver seat position memory are things that make my life easier on a daily basis.

·
Registered
2011 SSM Outback 2.5i Premium
2,063 Posts
Subaru is nice in that most any add-on can be purchased and installed at the dealer (interior illumination, puddle lamps, remote start, mud flaps, cargo nets). Of course, working your add-ons into the deal is up to you, and keep in mind that they're covered under the Subaru warranty if installed at the dealer when you buy the vehicle and can be wrapped into your monthly payment.

If the vehicle doesn't already have the all-weather mats, skip the Subaru ones and get more protection from the Weathetech mats (though they cost more).

·
Registered
'14 3.6R Outback
2,345 Posts
I forgot. I got a hidden hitch at e-trailer. $175 shipped. Look for the factory mounting instructions on here and you won't have to drill holes like i did.

·
Registered
228 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
About to pull the trigger, but apparently there are no Red Limiteds with the light leather interior anywhere to be found. Back to square one - I either need to pick a new exterior color, a new interior color, or factory-order.

·
Registered
2,819 Posts
I would reconsider the sunroof if I had to buy mine again. I haven't used the thing since I bought it a year ago.
Backup camera in the inside mirror doesnt work for me. It's up too high to see through the bottom of my bi-focals.
I just twist my neck like I have been doing for 40 years to back up.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts