Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I decided on the Outback because my previous vehicle was stolen, but this is my first Subaru. I have a good bit of experience working on other cars and like what I see for reviews and all-around capability.

Here are the details:
2007 Outback XT Limited
Diamond Grey Metallic w/charcoal interior
5 speed manual
110k miles (at over 20k per year and they lived in the mountains, so I imagine it must be mostly highway miles)

I wasn't exited about the mileage until I found out that the previous owner (1 owner) had a turbo go, which took out the engine...so the dealership is currently in the process of replacing the short block/timing parts, turbo, and clutch. With all that I'm hoping I don't have to worry about anything major for at least a few years. The interior/exterior are definitely used, but it seems like it's in very good shape overall.

I've put cash down expecting to finalize once it's out of the shop (unless there are any deal breakers once it's running). Before then I have some questions:
1) Total price will probably settle just above $16k. I was hoping to find something cheaper but figure the new parts are worth the peace of mind, even with the mileage. I think it's a decent deal but have a hard time finding anything comparable...thoughts?
2) I still need to give it a serious look over before finalizing the purchase. Is there anything I should check or watch out for that could be problematic?
3) Are there any maintenance items for a car with 110k that are outside of the scheduled maintenance which I should take care of? Any typical issues that I can expect to encounter in the near future? My biggest concern is long-term reliability, because I'm hoping to keep the car for 10 years.

Thanks for any input!

·
Registered
Lawn ornament XT
14,362 Posts
Are they giving you any sort of warranty on this rebuilt engine? I mean it sounds good, if they are using new parts. But even then, a small assembly error can turn into big dollar repairs later. Ask how they'll stand by it, and be fully prepared to sign it out and take it to an inspection mechanic to check their work. I think an extended test drive is an absolute must. All parties are aware that it's a high value, high risk arrangement, compared to most of their sales and (probably) most of your car purchases, so they ought to be happy to go along with it.

Their only real alternative is to drop the price to the point where anyone would roll the dice on it.

Moving on, it wouldn't shock me if you had to put money into new struts, brake pads, wheel bearings & cv boots. Not all and certainly not all at once- that's just typical for one of these on the high side of 100k. My own has had all 4 shocks, front brakes and one wheel bearing replaced between 100 and 120k, and I don't think that is unusual at all.

Ok I'm done saying things that could be taken as negativity. congrats on finding an XT. I love mine and consider them to be overlooked gems. Good luck!

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Are they giving you any sort of warranty on this rebuilt engine?
Great feedback, thanks! Yes, they offered 3mo/3k miles powertrain and agreed to 1yr parts and labor (unld. miles) for all of the work being done...that's probably what sealed the deal for me. All replacement parts are new Subaru parts installed by a dealer tech (ie, factory new, not rebuilt shortblock).

The items you mentioned don't bother me so that's good to hear...I'm more worried about major expenses and/or downtime. I'm banking that these newer models also have the longevity that the older ones do...hard to find people with a ton of miles.

·
Registered
Lawn ornament XT
14,362 Posts
Good deal for the warranty. If they do it right and you keep up the maintenance, the car will last. I've satisfied myself that the majority of the pricey components in these have been observed to run many, many miles in previous Subarus. (or nissans, for that matter...)

The items you mentioned don't bother me so that's good to hear...I'm more worried about major expenses and/or downtime. I'm banking that these newer models also have the longevity that the older ones do...hard to find people with a ton of miles.
On a 10-year horizon, the real wildcard is corrosion. The 05-09 is different enough in construction from the previous generation to expect differences in this area. These cars just haven't been on the road long enough to show whether they will flake away or survive with average care.

·
Premium Member
2009 Outback Limited
33 Posts
@Coxt, I had a 2006 XT with the 5 speed manual that I really liked. In many ways I still wish I had it. I was the original owner, and at about 115,000 the valves burned out in the number 4 cylinder. Had to have the engine rebuilt. I asked the mechanic what he thought. How much longer before something else went out. He said it was hard to tell. I asked him about the turbo. He said all the seals looked fine. It could go another 50,000 without any problems. Then again, it might crap out on you in 10,000 miles. That's the thing with a high mileage turbo engine. You just don't know.

The other thing I would look out for is the clutch. I had to replace the clutch on mine at 98,000. There was plenty of meat left on the plates. The throw out bearing went. Like I said, I loved the car. That repair didn't bother me, even though it cost $1,000 bucks, because of a $45.00 part.

·
Premium Member
2009 Outback Limited
33 Posts
@coxt, I also was hoping to keep my XT a long time, like I kept my 1982, 1986, 1992 and 1998. It was the only one of my Subies I bought new. Like I said, I loved that car. It was the best Subaru of all the ones I have owned, including my 2009.

Having said that I realized that it was not very likely that I would get to 200,000+ miles with that car (without something else major going wrong) like I did with my others. (Having the engine re-built at 115,000 was not a good omen.)

·
Premium Member
2009 Outback Limited
33 Posts
@dlo13. Have you booked out your 2005? I agree, but you might be surprised. That seems to be the market, at least in So Cal.

·
Registered
05 OBXT 5eat stg1.2
2,105 Posts
By total price, do you mean including tax and title? Because that would be reasonable.

I'll add mine in here as well. 05 xt limited auto with 79k for 12k. A lot depends on where you're at. I got mine in Miami were there was absolutely no demand for a heavy awd wagon with bad mpg. Had I bought it in WA, I'd have paid more like 15k.

·
Registered
'18 3.6R Ltd
731 Posts
We have this car, as it happens, and so I did a little experiment with the Edmunds appraisal tool.

Our '07 XTL, with only 32K miles, appraises as a private party sale at 16,677. The same car with 110K miles appraises as a private party sale at 14.400.

Dealer prices are higher. But I think the high mileage (20K per year!) suggests that you might negotiate the price down.

HPH

1 - 11 of 11 Posts