Subaru Outback Forums banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
Fresh Out of Outbacks!
14,499 Posts
Are they giving you any sort of warranty on this rebuilt engine? I mean it sounds good, if they are using new parts. But even then, a small assembly error can turn into big dollar repairs later. Ask how they'll stand by it, and be fully prepared to sign it out and take it to an inspection mechanic to check their work. I think an extended test drive is an absolute must. All parties are aware that it's a high value, high risk arrangement, compared to most of their sales and (probably) most of your car purchases, so they ought to be happy to go along with it.

Their only real alternative is to drop the price to the point where anyone would roll the dice on it.

Moving on, it wouldn't shock me if you had to put money into new struts, brake pads, wheel bearings & cv boots. Not all and certainly not all at once- that's just typical for one of these on the high side of 100k. My own has had all 4 shocks, front brakes and one wheel bearing replaced between 100 and 120k, and I don't think that is unusual at all.

Ok I'm done saying things that could be taken as negativity. congrats on finding an XT. I love mine and consider them to be overlooked gems. Good luck!

·
Registered
Fresh Out of Outbacks!
14,499 Posts
Good deal for the warranty. If they do it right and you keep up the maintenance, the car will last. I've satisfied myself that the majority of the pricey components in these have been observed to run many, many miles in previous Subarus. (or nissans, for that matter...)

The items you mentioned don't bother me so that's good to hear...I'm more worried about major expenses and/or downtime. I'm banking that these newer models also have the longevity that the older ones do...hard to find people with a ton of miles.
On a 10-year horizon, the real wildcard is corrosion. The 05-09 is different enough in construction from the previous generation to expect differences in this area. These cars just haven't been on the road long enough to show whether they will flake away or survive with average care.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.