Subaru Outback Forums banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Premium Member
2009 Outback Limited
33 Posts
@Coxt, I had a 2006 XT with the 5 speed manual that I really liked. In many ways I still wish I had it. I was the original owner, and at about 115,000 the valves burned out in the number 4 cylinder. Had to have the engine rebuilt. I asked the mechanic what he thought. How much longer before something else went out. He said it was hard to tell. I asked him about the turbo. He said all the seals looked fine. It could go another 50,000 without any problems. Then again, it might crap out on you in 10,000 miles. That's the thing with a high mileage turbo engine. You just don't know.

The other thing I would look out for is the clutch. I had to replace the clutch on mine at 98,000. There was plenty of meat left on the plates. The throw out bearing went. Like I said, I loved the car. That repair didn't bother me, even though it cost $1,000 bucks, because of a $45.00 part.

·
Premium Member
2009 Outback Limited
33 Posts
@coxt, I also was hoping to keep my XT a long time, like I kept my 1982, 1986, 1992 and 1998. It was the only one of my Subies I bought new. Like I said, I loved that car. It was the best Subaru of all the ones I have owned, including my 2009.

Having said that I realized that it was not very likely that I would get to 200,000+ miles with that car (without something else major going wrong) like I did with my others. (Having the engine re-built at 115,000 was not a good omen.)

·
Premium Member
2009 Outback Limited
33 Posts
@dlo13. Have you booked out your 2005? I agree, but you might be surprised. That seems to be the market, at least in So Cal.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.