Subaru Outback Forums banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I decided on the Outback because my previous vehicle was stolen, but this is my first Subaru. I have a good bit of experience working on other cars and like what I see for reviews and all-around capability.

Here are the details:
2007 Outback XT Limited
Diamond Grey Metallic w/charcoal interior
5 speed manual
110k miles (at over 20k per year and they lived in the mountains, so I imagine it must be mostly highway miles)

I wasn't exited about the mileage until I found out that the previous owner (1 owner) had a turbo go, which took out the engine...so the dealership is currently in the process of replacing the short block/timing parts, turbo, and clutch. With all that I'm hoping I don't have to worry about anything major for at least a few years. The interior/exterior are definitely used, but it seems like it's in very good shape overall.

I've put cash down expecting to finalize once it's out of the shop (unless there are any deal breakers once it's running). Before then I have some questions:
1) Total price will probably settle just above $16k. I was hoping to find something cheaper but figure the new parts are worth the peace of mind, even with the mileage. I think it's a decent deal but have a hard time finding anything comparable...thoughts?
2) I still need to give it a serious look over before finalizing the purchase. Is there anything I should check or watch out for that could be problematic?
3) Are there any maintenance items for a car with 110k that are outside of the scheduled maintenance which I should take care of? Any typical issues that I can expect to encounter in the near future? My biggest concern is long-term reliability, because I'm hoping to keep the car for 10 years.

Thanks for any input!

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Are they giving you any sort of warranty on this rebuilt engine?
Great feedback, thanks! Yes, they offered 3mo/3k miles powertrain and agreed to 1yr parts and labor (unld. miles) for all of the work being done...that's probably what sealed the deal for me. All replacement parts are new Subaru parts installed by a dealer tech (ie, factory new, not rebuilt shortblock).

The items you mentioned don't bother me so that's good to hear...I'm more worried about major expenses and/or downtime. I'm banking that these newer models also have the longevity that the older ones do...hard to find people with a ton of miles.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.