Subaru Outback Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
2013 Outback 2.5 Premium CVT
611 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This will be my first Subaru and wanted some advise on those that have purchased one.

I'm looking at a 2013 2.5 Limited with SAP.

Here's the additional items:

Body side Molding: 262.00
Puddle Lights: 235.00
Rear Seatback Protector: 82.00
Remote Starter: 429.00
Splash Guards OB 142.00
Wheel Locks Alloy 52.00

Delivery: 795.00

Total: $35,137

Plus I'm adding Wheel arch molding above the MSRP.

Offer from Dealer: $31,769

Also includes Lifetime Warranty on engine/trans/axels which is also in trust in case they go belly up.

What do you guys/gals think?

Dealer is not too fond of 14% offer I countered with.

Deanski
<!-- / message -->

·
Registered
'14 3.6R Outback
2,345 Posts

·
Registered
611 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yes, I did see the thread but seeing most people have already purchased, and even though I posted this over in that thread it just gave me a thought that the thread is mostly limited in viewing/replies.

As for this warranty, it's one of there dealer offered warranty, not a Subaru warranty. The dealers in our area have these, but limit them to engine/trans coverage only, some have $100 deductible some do not.

The dealer I looked at has the warranty coverage in a trust, which will cover owners in case they close. I'm a bit skeptical on this warranty as I think it's really there to draw buyers into the dealership to purchase.

Two dealers in the area do offer similar just this dealer has a bit more which they advertise often.

Dan Perkins Subaru | Vehicles for sale in Milford, CT 06460

And see this one:

Garavel Subaru | Vehicles for sale in Norwalk, CT 06851

I appreciate all your help!:29:

·
Registered
2013 Outback 2.5i SAP Limited
32 Posts
I got a similar deal on my recent 2013 SAP OB purchase. With all of the options the sticker price was $35,176, and I negotiated the price down to $31,676, and feel really good about that deal. I say go for it!

Not sure if you are trading in, but that could also affect how much they will come down on the sticker (I had a trade and got a very good trade value so I was happy with the amount above).

Only negative opinion I have is a 3rd party warranty. I am a big fan of an Extended Warranty, but I personally would only go with a Subaru Warranty. Main reason is that sure the local dealer that sold you the warranty will take it no problem, but if you are traveling in the car and break down somewhere far from home, that local Subaru dealer will most likely not take the 3rd party warranty, require you to pay everything out of pocket, and (hopefully) get reimbursed by the 3rd party warranty company. Be careful.... I would push for the Subaru Warranty..

·
Registered
611 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I wouldn't argue over 2%.
Buy the car.
That's what I'm thinking judging from other posts on the other thread.

Just wanted those that have purchased to give their opinion.

It's a pearl white color as I cannot find anymore of the BBP and I already own a black car which is a nightmare to keep clean, but that's another issue.

After hearing several great things about these vehicles and how Subaru is second to Lexus in one report plus the whole all-time 4 wheel drive I think this is a good choice. Being new to Subaru I'm a bit cautious.

Thanks!:29:

·
Registered
2015 Subaru Outback 2.5 Limited Eyesight Lapis Blue Pearl
71 Posts
My only recommendation is EyeSight instead of SAP. But otherwise go for it. From just growing this forum, I've more problems with SAP than with EyeSight, I think Subaru really put its effort into the new tech, and not so much I to push button start and memory seats...

But either way, I don't think you can go wrong with a 2013 Outback, and that price looks good enough. It's gets to a pint where it's just not worth haggling to me...

·
Registered
611 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Eyesight that good? :confused: Push start that bad? You'd think a button start can't be that difficult.

Thanks for the input. More welcome......

Deanski

·
Registered
18 Posts
I have a '13 SAP so I can't speak to the Eyesight one way of the other. The two bulges in the headliner where the cameras are did bother me when I saw them in other Outbacks though.

I can say that the keyless start is one sweet feature that gets used multiple times per day and is something I do not want to go without in any future car. What a great feature! Plus, I love the interior....reminds me of chocolate which I love.

·
Registered
2013 Outback - 3.6R Limited, EyeSight/Nav/MoonRoof/Kitchen Sink.
683 Posts
Push button/keyless start. Your level of usage is 1x per trip.

ES (especially in stop-n-go traffic) hours and hours of enjoyment/usage. But to each their own.

·
Registered
1,142 Posts
Keyless push button start is way cooler than eyesight IMHO. Eyesight is a cool novelty but I know how to pay attention in traffic and use the brakes on my own. I think after a couple months I would quit using it or paying attention to it once the novelty wore off.

Plus the saddle brown leather interior is downright good looking, as well as the exterior features on SAP. Where I live Outbacks are a dime a dozen and it's nice to drive one that looks different from the rest of them out there. I get alot of looks from standard OB drivers where I live.

Too bad you have to choose one or the other. Wonder if this will change for 2014.

·
Registered
2013 Outback Limited 2.5 EyeSight & 2010 Legacy Premium, 2010 OB Limited (traded)
2,129 Posts
I noticed you are ordering remote start with that SAP. Just be aware that the SAP remote start lacks 2 way communication which informs you your car has actually started and also has greatly reduced range making it slightly better than useless. If remote starting is important to you you may want to consider a non-SAP which has 2 way communication and much greater range.

·
Registered
1,142 Posts
I noticed you are ordering remote start with that SAP. Just be aware that the SAP remote start lacks 2 way communication which informs you your car has actually started and also has greatly reduced range making it slightly better than useless. If remote starting is important to you you may want to consider a non-SAP which has 2 way communication and much greater range.
This is true. The remote range on my 2013 SAP remote start is about 1/3 of what it was on my 2012 with standard remote start.

The sad truth is you don't need 2-way remote start on the SAP, one-way is fine because in order to get it to work you have to be close enough that you would see the lights flash on the car.

It does work fine on SAP, just significantly reduced range. I can no longer start it in the parking lot from my office window, I have to walk out of the building to the end of the sidewalk, start it, then go back in.

There have been other threads about adding aftermarket remote start on the SAP but I believe there are some conflicts that make this prohibitive due to the complexity of the push button start system.

This has not been a deal breaker for me, I don't use the remote start very often, but it would be nice to have more range.

·
Registered
'13 OB, Black, SAP
271 Posts
Agreed, I can manage slowing down and accelerating on my own and not rely on the car to do it for me.

I regret getting the OEM remote start due to lack of range... and shutting off upon opening a hatch.

Keyless push button start is way cooler than eyesight IMHO. Eyesight is a cool novelty but I know how to pay attention in traffic and use the brakes on my own. I think after a couple months I would quit using it or paying attention to it once the novelty wore off.

Plus the saddle brown leather interior is downright good looking, as well as the exterior features on SAP. Where I live Outbacks are a dime a dozen and it's nice to drive one that looks different from the rest of them out there. I get alot of looks from standard OB drivers where I live.

Too bad you have to choose one or the other. Wonder if this will change for 2014.

·
Registered
1,142 Posts
I regret getting the OEM remote start due to lack of range... and shutting off upon opening a hatch.

Yes. However given that aftermarket remote starts appear to be nearly impossible to install on SAP Outbacks I guess having a crummy remote start is sometimes better than none at all. Like I said, it does work well, but just poor range. I guess I just need to park closer to the building when it's cold (I park at the back to avoid door dings as I am pretty sure the Outback's doors are made from tissue paper....on my 2012 I had the paintless dent removal guy on speed dial).

·
Registered
611 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I thought remote start was standard in the SAP and the option shown was the "other" Subaru remote start but I have to confirm it.

Really like the SAP options just wished they held the BBP longer.

The warranty is a "free" warranty (nothing free always factored in) and I will be looking at Subaru extended as well.

Good thing the body molding is optioned....hate dings but better some protection than none. Live in condo so always doors banging someone's car.

Thanks for all the replies!

·
Registered
2015 Subaru Outback 2.5 Limited Eyesight Lapis Blue Pearl
71 Posts
I use EyeSight everyday. It makes the cruise control perfect. It also proves an extra set of eyes, which is never a bad thing. It's very nice being able to set a cruise speed and then let the eyesight keep the proper distance.

·
Registered
'13 OB, Black, SAP
271 Posts
Nope, have to have it added for the SAP, do not know about the non-SAP models.

I thought remote start was standard in the SAP and the option shown was the "other" Subaru remote start but I have to confirm it.

Really like the SAP options just wished they held the BBP longer.

The warranty is a "free" warranty (nothing free always factored in) and I will be looking at Subaru extended as well.

Good thing the body molding is optioned....hate dings but better some protection than none. Live in condo so always doors banging someone's car.

Thanks for all the replies!

·
Registered
2012 4LT Centennial Edition Grand Sport Corvette convertible
494 Posts
I understand the theory behind all of the "safety" features being brought out today. But on the other hand, I view them as just more of the dumbing-down of driving. Your job when you are behind the wheel is driving, not texting, talking on the phone, putting makeup on, etc. I really don't need any nannies to assist me with driving.

Memory seats are a must to me, as I cannot even begin to get into the seat when the wife has been driving. I also just came out of a 2007 Corvette that had push-button start and I liked it (not a must-have). Better than that was the passive entry into the vehicle. It's amazing how quickly you get used to not needing to take the remote out of our pocket, and view it as a PITA when you have to. The memory seats and the passive entry, along with the nicer seat materials, are the reasons I chose the SAP.

And to your original question - buy it - you are being offered a pretty good deal.

·
Premium Member
2005 3.0 R n totaled
7,526 Posts
Deanski:
If I may suggest, don't get that third party warranty from your dealer. You can purchase genuine Subaru Gold warranty(valid nationwide) from any Subaru dealer - not just the selling dealer. I bought one (for my 2010 Forester XT) from Mastria Subaru in Raynham, MA - absolutely the best and the lowest price for Subaru Warranty... give Don Mastria a call... BTW ... you can purchase the additional Subaru Warranty anytime during the 36,000 / 3 years factory warranty; you don't have to buy it at the same time, when you are buying the car!

1 - 20 of 35 Posts