Subaru Outback Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of August's Outback of the Month Challenge!
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys,

What do I need to check to figure out what the problem with the ABS is? The light has been on since I bought the car but I would like to fix it if possible.

The guy I bought it from said the module was burnt out, would I just need to pull this from a junker to fix it?

·
Registered
2001 VDC Wagon - White pearl - 302,000 km
466 Posts
You won't get much help around here if you don't tell anyone what you are driving. Try updating your signature with your vehicle's specs.

·
Registered
'98 Outback
251 Posts
The ABS system has a separate diagnostic port from the OBD-II. It should be near or taped to the steering column under the dash. From my limited research, it sounds like there are at least two different ABS systems in the Gen 1s, each with its own method of generating and checking codes. I think you'll need to find the diagnostic connector on your car and spend some google time with it. Then find the module (probably located in different places, from what I've seen), get numbers off it, and try to order one.

·
Banned
6,264 Posts
Before spending money on the ABS module you need to read the diagnostic code that is triggering the light.

It may or may not be the module.

Do a search on reading Subaru abs trouble codes. As I recall it is a rather old school method where you have to count flashing lights.

·
On the Super Mod Squad
2002 3.0 VDC Wag + 2018 2.5 Leg Ltd
26,966 Posts
if you get the codes, it might suggest what is wrong,... be it a FREE to fix wire,

or a sensor or something else. and sensors get baked from things like really hot wheel bearings.

·
Registered
1999 30th Anniversary Legacy Outback DOHC 2.5L 4EAT, 2008 Impreza WRX 2.5L 5MT, 2008 Impreza Wagon 2.5L 4EAT
1,224 Posts
Some others have had alternator issues that have caused ABS lights. Check the codes first and get back with us.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts