Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone had experience with rear Timken bearings causing the ABS light and ss error light to come on?

Quick summary, my 2005 Outback LL Bean with 103K miles had the strange grinding coming from the rear of my vehicle when going over 35 mph. Suspecting the bearings, I ordered two Timken HA590119 rear axle hubs from partsgeek and had my local mechanic install them. Since than, the sound is gone, car drives great, but now I have an ABS light and an ss error. I looked around these and other boards stating that it could be the bearings but everyone with this problem recommended getting OEM or Timken bearings to fix. I am curious if there could be anything else or something I am missing that may also cause this? My mechanic is saying it is because of the aftermarket bearings but i do not know if that is true or if there was an installation error or something.

·
Registered
2009 Tribeca Now - 2004 Outback EJ259 - Sold
1,072 Posts
These Timken bearings have the magnetic encoder for the ABS sensor built in, same as OEM.
If the speed sensor code corresponds with the HBA assembly that was replaced then improper installation or sensor damage is really the only culprit here.

·
Registered
03 H6 OBW & 06 WRX Sportwagon
17,619 Posts
take it back to your mechanic, he could have pinched a cable or otherwise compromised a connection.

At least, he should be able to determine which side is bad in case you need to exchange parts (unlikely)

(I recently put a Timken in my daughter's Impala, had to be careful with the sensor wire)

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the quick responses and I plan to return to the mechanic to get more info. I will post the results.

·
Gallery Ninja, ,
2004 Outback "Bluebaru" & 2005 Outback XT
5,195 Posts
Many people forget to remove the bolt and abs sensor in the knuckle before removing the hub bearing unit.

I bet your mechanic scraped the sensor head off when he removed the hub / CV joint. A new sensor is likely required.

·
Registered
18,163 Posts
The "magnetic encoder" on the back of these integrated hubs is a strip of magnetic material. Like all magnets, the magnetism can be altered/deleted by heat, shock, and proximity to other magnetic or radio signals. Many tools become magnetic, technicians often use a bit of hammer force to fit parts, and while heat is not usually used during installation, this is still a possible factor. Not saying this is the reason -- the others mentioned above are quite possible as well -- but perhaps they should be taken into account when discussing the problem with the mechanic.

Incidentally, there's a number of threads here with the same problem after a hub was replaced. In some cases the problem became apparent when the cruise control either would not "set" or it would cut out randomly, or the ABS didn't work. Installing a Subaru hub corrected the symptoms.

See attachments in http://www.subaruoutback.org/forums/66-problems-maintenance/42863-awd-not-working-after-bearing-replaced.html#post413041

1 - 6 of 6 Posts