Subaru Outback Forums banner
  • Our 4th of July contest is live! Enter HERE for your chance to win a $400 Walmart gift card.
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Outback of the Month Challenge!

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Folks, just got my 2005 Outback right front axle and hub assembly apart and found that the bearing was bad (thought it was axle). I do have a new axle to install and ordered a new hub assembly that is due today. Question: Where is the tone ring...? Is it within the hub assembly, bearing assembly or on the axle. I did not see one when I took it apart. When I took it apart I had lots of pieces fall out the backside and I think they were all pieces of the bearing seal as they were more plastic in appearance. Do I need to buy a tone ring and slip it on the axle end or is it internal in the hub assembly or axle....? A little confused as I have not done this before on this car. Maybe since the bearing failed the tone ring just got ate up, there is some scoring at end of axle flange... Oh, and it's 110 here in Folsom CA on my day off when I want to work on this...! Thanks, Chris

·
Registered
18,864 Posts
It's a magnetic ring integrated into the back of the rotating hub. See attached, (In the photo the magnetic ring has been pulled away from the hub. The N and S markings aren't actual poles; there's multiple alternating poles all around the ring.)

Also, see this post

Attachments

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Fantastic...! Looks like it's there in the hub and not something I have to add.... Will get up early tomorrow and get this car back on the road. Too hot here to work midday..... Gonna be 110 again tomorrow. Thanks for the pic and the thread link. I learn more everyday. Thanks...!
Chris in Folsom CA

1 - 3 of 3 Posts