Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2011 subaru outback 2.5
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2011 subaru outback. My battery was badly corroded so cleaned the corrosion off. Car ran great but the next time I started the abs, traction control, and brake light came on and stayed on. My cruise control was also disabled. I decided that maybe it was time to replace the battery so I did. The lights are still on. Any ideas? I know that this has to have something to do with changing the battery. The car is running great.

·
Registered
Lawn ornament XT
14,366 Posts
Check voltage- a low voltage condition can trigger this situation.

In other words make sure the alternator is charging the battery. It is possible that your alternator failed, causing the car to run entirely off the battery. A new battery is good, but won't last long without the alternator to recharge it.

Does the battery light come on when you turn on the ignition, before cranking the starter? Make sure that warning light works before proceeding.

·
Registered
2011 subaru outback 2.5
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The battery light comes on like its supposed to but goes right off when you turn the key. Only the abs, traction control and brake lights stay on.

·
On the Super Mod Squad
2002 3.0 VDC Wag + 2018 2.5 Leg Ltd
26,302 Posts
not related to the battery swap but:

do the brake lights on the back of the car function as they should?. (one bad bulb can do all that)

being low on brake fluid possibly do to thin brake pads. (just enough to toss on the "brake" light which makes the other ones light up too) easy to spot when the car is cold on level ground, and you can open the hood and look at the reservoir level with its tight fitting cap closed.

·
Registered
2011 subaru outback 2.5
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
So after taking it to a mechanic, I was told that it would have to be hooked to a computer to have all of the factory codes reset in order to make the lights turn off. They said in the future, never change the battery without it hooked to a charger or I would have this problem again.

·
On the Super Mod Squad
2002 3.0 VDC Wag + 2018 2.5 Leg Ltd
26,302 Posts
So after taking it to a mechanic, I was told that it would have to be hooked to a computer to have all of the factory codes reset in order to make the lights turn off. They said in the future, never change the battery without it hooked to a charger or I would have this problem again.
if you disconnected the negative on the battery for about half a hour to 45 minutes it would clear everything out of all systems.

maybe when the battery was replaced some old junk remained. (a weak battery makes for old junk data and false codes).

some people do hook a charger or another battery into the car's systems to maintain radio presets, fuel trims, and any other engine / trans data while a battery swap is happening though. this in a effort to save all the good stuff, but it only takes a couple minutes to reset radio settings and some easy driving for the car to relearn any fuel and transmission short term data.

·
Registered
06 OBW 2.5, 05 Forester, had 03 H6 OBW
5,936 Posts
On the newer 'roos isn't there a thing where doing just about anything, including jump-starting, fries about $1000 worth of electronics?

·
Registered
1 Posts
My ABS, parking brake, and traction light came on all of a sudden while I was driving and will not turn off. I have stopped the car, turned off the engine, and restarted the car without any change. The lights still stay on. I have a Subaru Outback Sport. The car seems to be driving fine.

·
Registered
Outback 2011 3.6R Premium
1,632 Posts
My ABS, parking brake, and traction light came on all of a sudden while I was driving and will not turn off. I have stopped the car, turned off the engine, and restarted the car without any change. The lights still stay on. I have a Subaru Outback Sport. The car seems to be driving fine.
You need to attach an engine diagnostic tool/gauge and have the DTC (diagnostic trouble codes) read. This information will help to determine why these “warning lights” have turned on and what systems need to be looked at and potentially repaired.

Seagrass

·
Registered
'15 Outback 2.5i Premium
2,511 Posts
On the newer 'roos isn't there a thing where doing just about anything, including jump-starting, fries about $1000 worth of electronics?
No.

It's certainly possible to wreak havoc if you attempt a jump start incorrectly, but jump starting per se, or disconnecting the battery, doesn't mean anything bad will automatically happen.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts