Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
2020 Touring XT, 2013 Outback Lim SAP 270K, 2003 Outback Lim MT 2.5L, 241K..
2,182 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I asked this to someone on here but thought Id just post to anyone.
Any feedback is welcome.

Hello - so I just contacted Costco about their program

Im looking for a 2013 Limited OB 4 Cyl - SAP in Brown or Black (with a good handful of options I will want added.

For the record - I have gone through the inventories of all So Cal dealers online and while I KNOW some of that will be incorrect/outdated info - it did say there are 13 brown 2.5 SAP's within all the So Cal dealers- so I feel there are still some out there I can consider.

A local dealer contacted me but they didnt have the BROWN.

But they told me over the phone that the costco price is 500 under invoice. MSRP of what they have is 34,572 and and so the Costco priceis 31,400 + Tax, Lic fees. He also said it could maybe take a little bit off of that if I bought the one Black he has.

If Im set on a Brown -he said it would cost more to get from somewhere else. Now - I asked Coscto about that and they said they MAY tack on transportation fees. My understanding was a dealer doesnt charge more to get from another dealer - so that sounds stupid to me that they would do it with the Costco program (thoughts?)

So - thing is, I have to cancel the referral for Costco to tell me what other dealers deal with the Costco program.

So I am wondering what to do if I want a brown. I am more than willing to drive a ways for the car - in fact - there are 2 dealers I would LIKE to deal with that are a ways away. So should I try to find the Brown cars and then re-set the Coscto deal to those dealers - or should I just take the Costco price as a goal price and go to those dealers and get them to match the Coscto price?

First I have to find the Brown cars as I am leaning towards them over black like 60/40. But Im not sure if I should keep going with the Coscto deal or just try to match it somewhere else outside of the Costco channel.

Any thoughts you have would be very appreciated. :)

·
Registered
2019 Forester Sport. Love the Orange.
4,017 Posts
Being stuck on a color that is no longer made puts you in a tough spot in a couple of ways. The obvious is not being able to order. The other is having to deal with/pay the dealer for adding options that could have been added at invoice from the factory. If they want more than invoice you are pretty much stuck.

That being said, I have never found Costco to offer the best deals--- by quite a bit. The end of the year is coming up, it's cold and crappy out,( not so much in LaLa;)) and people just dropped a load on Christmas. I would think dealers would be a bit lonely and I would guess up to $4K off is not out of reason. As always area matters. Check out the bay area. There are tons of dealers. I'm sure a dealer would send a runner to pick you up at SFO after a $40 JetBlu ride. YMMV.

·
Registered
2,182 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Being stuck on a color that is no longer made puts you in a tough spot in a couple of ways. The obvious is not being able to order. The other is having to deal with/pay the dealer for adding options that could have been added at invoice from the factory. If they want more than invoice you are pretty much stuck.

That being said, I have never found Costco to offer the best deals--- by quite a bit. The end of the year is coming up, it's cold and crappy out,( not so much in LaLa;)) and people just dropped a load on Christmas. I would think dealers would be a bit lonely and I would guess up to $4K off is not out of reason. As always area matters. Check out the bay area. There are tons of dealers. I'm sure a dealer would send a runner to pick you up at SFO after a $40 JetBlu ride. YMMV.
I cant wait the 4+ months to order a car - I just cant. Thats the wait time right?
I figured with 13 browns showing on inventories in the area I should find a few still around - and I will drive anywhere. The Bay area inventories showed next to no browns when I checked at all.

My question mainly was if the Costco deal (500 under invoice and maybe a few hundred below that) was what to seek out or if its reasonable to get that and maybe better from random dealers?

·
Registered
03 H6 OBW & 06 WRX Sportwagon
17,617 Posts
you could try the Edmunds TruValue w'ever. or just start emailing the dealers with the brown and see if they will match the Costco price.

$500 under doesn't seem too bad to me.

·
Registered
4,017 Posts
I cant wait the 4+ months to order a car - I just cant. Thats the wait time right?
I figured with 13 browns showing on inventories in the area I should find a few still around - and I will drive anywhere. The Bay area inventories showed next to no browns when I checked at all.

My question mainly was if the Costco deal (500 under invoice and maybe a few hundred below that) was what to seek out or if its reasonable to get that and maybe better from random dealers?
It doesn't take 4 months to order a new OB. 6-8 weeks is what they quote and it's not unusual to be under a month. Manuals are the worst as few are made. Inventories are just that--what's on the lot. If SAP brown can still be ordered dealers can look into the pipeline to see if they have any coming. If they have a VON/soon to be/VIN# negotiate for that one. I snagged my White/SAP that way and it showed in 3 weeks including port installed accesories. (read-invoice priced)

My belief is $3500 off MSRP is a nice respectable deal, $4K is a great deal and anything over $4K is a killer deal on a loaded (SAP/EYE) OB.

·
Registered
2011 Outback 2.5i Premium CVT PZEV
225 Posts
Try the dealers Internet sales departments as well. The deals through them are usually as good or better than the Costco deals.

·
Registered
32 Posts
I tried the Costco thing and it didn't work for me. I found a much better deal sending out email to various dealers asking for bids on a specific vehicle and package. Much better. Like 2k better.

·
Premium Member
2005 3.0 R n totaled
7,529 Posts
I asked this to someone on here but thought Id just post to anyone.
Any feedback is welcome.

Hello - so I just contacted Costco about their program

Im looking for a 2013 Limited OB 4 Cyl - SAP in Brown or Black (with a good handful of options I will want added.

For the record - I have gone through the inventories of all So Cal dealers online and while I KNOW some of that will be incorrect/outdated info - it did say there are 13 brown 2.5 SAP's within all the So Cal dealers- so I feel there are still some out there I can consider.

A local dealer contacted me but they didnt have the BROWN.

But they told me over the phone that the costco price is 500 under invoice. MSRP of what they have is 34,572 and and so the Costco priceis 31,400 + Tax, Lic fees. He also said it could maybe take a little bit off of that if I bought the one Black he has.

If Im set on a Brown -he said it would cost more to get from somewhere else. Now - I asked Coscto about that and they said they MAY tack on transportation fees. My understanding was a dealer doesnt charge more to get from another dealer - so that sounds stupid to me that they would do it with the Costco program (thoughts?)

So - thing is, I have to cancel the referral for Costco to tell me what other dealers deal with the Costco program.

So I am wondering what to do if I want a brown. I am more than willing to drive a ways for the car - in fact - there are 2 dealers I would LIKE to deal with that are a ways away. So should I try to find the Brown cars and then re-set the Coscto deal to those dealers - or should I just take the Costco price as a goal price and go to those dealers and get them to match the Coscto price?

First I have to find the Brown cars as I am leaning towards them over black like 60/40. But Im not sure if I should keep going with the Coscto deal or just try to match it somewhere else outside of the Costco channel.

Any thoughts you have would be very appreciated. :)
In my case Costco was the best deal that I could get with minimum hassle in my neck of the woods. I've got what I wanted although not the color that I wanted. Like someone previously said, don't get stuck on the color - and above all, do not fall in love with the car while you are negotiating the price. You will end up paying more!

·
Registered
'12 Outback 3.6R Limited
185 Posts
Costco seems to be most advantageous if you are buying a "hot" model where dealers are trying to keep the transaction price near sticker. For example if you wanted to buy a BRZ right now, I'd suggest Costco pricing because the dealers around me advertise a few hundred OVER sticker for them. Through Costco you may be able to secure a modest discount and come out a winner.

With the OB, you can do better than Costco, but there is always the hassle factor.

Is there a promo going with Costco where you are set on doing the deal through them? At this point I would probably send some emails around to internet sales or fleet sales (or the general sales manager if you can't find those two) and see what they would offer and see how it stacks up against the Costco price. If there is a Costco promo, you could simply go back to the Costco dealer and say they need to be the other price you found to get the business. When I bought, Costco was offering the $500 gift card and I didn't pay the Costco price, I paid lower. I forgot how much lower it was.

·
Registered
2,182 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Costco seems to be most advantageous if you are buying a "hot" model where dealers are trying to keep the transaction price near sticker. For example if you wanted to buy a BRZ right now, I'd suggest Costco pricing because the dealers around me advertise a few hundred OVER sticker for them. Through Costco you may be able to secure a modest discount and come out a winner.

With the OB, you can do better than Costco, but there is always the hassle factor.

Is there a promo going with Costco where you are set on doing the deal through them? At this point I would probably send some emails around to internet sales or fleet sales (or the general sales manager if you can't find those two) and see what they would offer and see how it stacks up against the Costco price. If there is a Costco promo, you could simply go back to the Costco dealer and say they need to be the other price you found to get the business. When I bought, Costco was offering the $500 gift card and I didn't pay the Costco price, I paid lower. I forgot how much lower it was.
no costco deal - and I did what you just suggested last night and I got one offer that matched it - and one that beat it - without even mentioning it - just initial inquiry on a best price offer from them. One is 1000 below invoice - plus 2 dealers told me they will get a car from another dealer without charging me - but the dealer thought the costco deal told me they will have to charge for getting a car elsewhere - though they also said they can go a little lower than the costco deal. So these dealers MUST be getting SOMETHING - though no sites report any rebates and only 1000 holdback that I can find. But if they are offering 500 to 1000 below invoice right off the bat.....

·
Registered
2,182 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
now i just got email response from dealer that has the two colors i want and hes offering 4574 below msrp. (this is before me adding options of course, all i did was send inquiry abt price). said its good till end of month. what do u guys think abt tht??

·
Registered
4,017 Posts
If they don't try to claw it all back with install and over invoice prices on the options that's a really good deal.:29:

·
Premium Member
2005 3.0 R n totaled
7,529 Posts
now i just got email response from dealer that has the two colors i want and hes offering 4574 below msrp. (this is before me adding options of course, all i did was send inquiry abt price). said its good till end of month. what do u guys think abt tht??
You've got few more days to go.... Which one will it be and how much you ended up paying - just curious. Post some pics, once you get it!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts