Subaru Outback Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey everyone, I'm having an issue with my ac compressor clutch hub assembly. It literally has sheared itself off. The magnet will pull the clutch in but it won't engage since it is disconnected at the face. A few months ago there was a squeak from the pully when it engaged and compressor would still come on. Any thoughts? I would like to know what the cause of this would be. Also, the repair.

Thanks,

2008 Outback Pzev Wagon
2.5i Manual Transmission

·
Premium Member
01 VDC, 05 R Sedan, 06 BAJA EJ257
16,157 Posts
There is a nut that holds the clutch plate on the compressor shaft. If you look down the middle of the pulley system you'll see the nut. If the nut is on there and you can see portions of the threaded part of the shaft then there's a good possibility that the compressor shaft might have broken. With the engine off you can grab the clutch disc that's on the outside of the pulley and turn it you should be able to turn it by hand while the pulley that the belt drives stays still.

Check all that let us know what you find.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
And does the system have refrigerant in it?
Yes. I did a static pressure test on the system today. Its about 28° C or 86 Fahrenheit and the pressures are equal to those numbers. Almost 90 psi on both sides with the car having been sitting overnight or about 16hrs.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
There is a nut that holds the clutch plate on the compressor shaft. If you look down the middle of the pulley system you'll see the nut. If the nut is on there and you can see portions of the threaded part of the shaft then there's a good possibility that the compressor shaft might have broken. With the engine off you can grab the clutch disc that's on the outside of the pulley and turn it you should be able to turn it by hand while the pulley that the belt drives stays still.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
@cardoc Got the clutch pulley and magnet off the AC compressor yesterday. Looks like the bearing of the pulley was crunchy and caused the magnet to overheat, melt and freeze the pulley. So the clutch face sheared off at the three metal connectors at the front of the plate. Here's what the AC compressor looks like with the assembly removed. Unfortunately, the new magnet I bought doesn't fit my electrical connector thats currently attached to my wiring assembly. Also, I cannot get my alternator bolt to thread back into the hole closest to the engine. So I am a bit stuck.

·
Premium Member
16,157 Posts
Your picture looks like the front seal has been leaking. You might want to just find another compressor.

There's a bushing on the back side of the alternator that slides when you torque down that bolt. You can knock it towards the outside with a punch and hammer and that will give you more wiggle room to line it up with the bolt holes.

Automotive tire Bicycle part Tire Rim Automotive lighting

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·

Hello Cardoc, thanks for all the help. Here is what the broken clutch assembly with pulley and magnet look like.

·
Premium Member
16,157 Posts
The heat that did that is what probably toasted the compressor seal.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
So you think best route is new compressor? I installed the new clutch magnet and pulley but the electrical clip doesn't fit.

·
Premium Member
16,157 Posts
New, used, rebuilt. You might be able to find one from a salvage yard that's good. Otherwise eBay, Amazon, your local parts store, and 1-800- Radiator are options.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts