Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2013 Outback 2.5i, 6 spd M
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok - I picked up my 2013 Outback last month, and it finally got cold enough to use the heater this morning.

On the controls, when I use the "Heat" (floor only) button, I get a lot of air also coming out the windshield vent. After a while it gets too hot on my face, but my feet are cold.

When I use the Windshield/Floor button, it feels exactly like the heat only button. Anyone have this experience yet ?

·
Registered
2017 OutBack Premier, 2019 Forester Ltd, 2016 370z Rdstr
717 Posts
You need to see the dealership. This is a warranty issue. One of your HVAC doors is not opening correctly to redirect the air to the proper ducts.

If you have automatic HVAC controls, all that may be needed is for a reset code to be input into the HVAC computer. If they are manual, you may have a loose cable or a vacuum line that has come loose or split. Either way, the dealership needs to take care of the issue. Good Luck!

·
Registered
18,034 Posts
It's not unusual for new Subaru owners to note that their feet remain cold despite the mode switch being set for floor only. There seems to be posts along these lines whenever winter arrives. In part, it's because the "floor" outlets are not on the floor -- they are on the underside of the dashboard, more or less at the shin level, i.e. below the knee, but not at the foot.

It's normal for a small amount of air to vent out onto the windshield when the mode switch is set to the floor position, but the majority should exit at the "floor". However, there should be a distinct difference between the windshield flow when in the "floor" setting, and when in the dual "floor-and-windshield" setting. (Also note that when the latter setting is used, the AC is turned on automatically, and air is drawn in from outside even if the recirc button is not 'On", and the AC light isn't on.)

If there is little difference in the flow to the windshield, then do have it checked by the dealer. In the event they say "it's normal", ask to try another 2013 (a new one on the lot, a demonstrator, or one in the service shop) just to compare. Perhaps that's the way they're set, but if there's a noticeable difference, it's clearly not "normal" and you're able to demonstrate that as a fact.

(By the way, there's no vacuum lines -- all the control functions are effected either by cable, or electric motor.)

·
Registered
2013 Outback 2.5i, 6 spd M
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I think I'm going to stop by the dealer and see how another 2013 behaves. If it's the same, then.......I guess I live with the design. If not, I'll swing into the service department.

Thanks for the advise ~

1 - 4 of 4 Posts