Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2006 Outback with an AC problem. Gradually it has almost stopped cooling. The clutch has been engaging but the cooling has almost
stopped. It works a little in the morning or at high speeds. I was thinking it might be the o rings. Last year the o ring on the power steering
was bad and since they are located near each other I thought this might be the problem. Any thoughts? Also could it be a fan problem.

·
Registered
03 H6 OBW & 06 WRX Sportwagon
17,618 Posts
an 06 likely could use new o-rings at the comp. and a recharge at minimum.

be sure to check the cabin air filter too - if never serviced, it could be severely clogged.

·
Registered
2005 Outback R LL Bean 3.0 H6 w/ 5 speed sport shift
597 Posts
In order to do any quality AC work you need a set of gauges and a vacuum pump is very helpful too.

O rings would be the first thing to look at. You can get variety packs at Harbor Freight that will fit many of the fittings you'll encounter. Changing the O rings on the compressor is easy, just make certain you are very careful when you reseat them, maybe some PAG oil rubbed on them. Remember, the bolts don't need to be torqued hard or you could end up with a big problem!

Also, try to have everything handy so you don't have the system open for an extended period because it will draw moisture and that's the enemy!

You may take a good look at the condenser. Maybe it works better at high speeds because air is moving across the condenser and therefore it's doing its job?

When you recharge the system, add some leak detector so if you didn't get the leak addressed, at least you haven't wasted your freon money!

If everything else fails, I'd look at the expansion valve...

Afterthought: If the clutch is engaging you still have pressure in the system. I would look to see if the condenser could be plugged with bug guts or dirt before cracking the system open.
I doubt it's your fan unless you notice a change in velocity of the air and not just the temp.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
How do I get to the condenser. I changed the cabin air filter in September(2017) What should the low pressure be. I could check that before replacing the O rings if the gauge on the refill
would tell me that? Thanks.

·
Registered
2005 Outback R LL Bean 3.0 H6 w/ 5 speed sport shift
597 Posts
Your low side should run around 28-45 psi during the cycle - I think the low pressure cut out will keep the compressor from engaging at apx. 24 psi. High side will run in the 150-200 psi range. Temperature will cause these pressures to vary but this is probably a good guideline.

My 05 w/H6 has the condenser in front of the radiator. I've seen some guys run a garden hose on the condenser to cool it and see if the cabin temps get cold. I think 2 bolts and a couple of plastic keepers will get the grille out of the way.
When you pull the grille take a look at the AC hose connections to see if you can see any oil residue.

I'm sure there are many others out here on the forum who are better versed in AC diagnosis than me, but I believe these suggestions will get you moving toward finding a fix.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks! Ill check out the condenser then check the pressure on the low side. I suspect the o rings because the power steering o ring on the pump failed last year and its near the AC compressor o rings maybe a failure of similar
conditions.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts