Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello, all. I am having issues with my AC/vent in my 05 Subaru Outback wagon, automatic 4 cyl, manual AC controls. 7-8 times out of 10 when i cut my AC OR simply the vent w/o AC on, it does not blow. I have troubleshooted by moving the vent selector to dash vents, dash and feet, feet only, defrost, different blower speeds and it won't blow. After some time (could be 2 minutes, could be 20 minutes) the vent/AC will then begin to blow. Within just the past week, I have noticed that when i have all of the windows UP, cut the AC/vent on, begin driving the car THEN roll down a window (usually just the drivers), the vent/AC will begin blowing and all is good :confused:. Any ideas?

Thanks and I am happy to be a new member of this forum!

·
Registered
18,155 Posts
Not sure what you mean by "when i cut my AC OR simply the vent w/o AC on . . ."? Do you mean "when i turn on my AC OR simply the fan w/o AC on . . ."?

If the latter, then there could be problem with the fan motor. The brushes might be worn or dirty and not making good contact with the rotor "commutator". When this happens, the motor might not start on its own when power is applied, but if the rotor is turned even a tiny amount, the brushes make better contact and the motor starts turning. That small turn could be due to vibration when driving, or if a window is opened, air will naturally flow through the duct if the car is moving, and that might turn the blower and get it started.

Other possible causes could be bad contacts on the fan switch contacts, or a bad fan relay. Have you tried moving the fan speed switch back-and-forth a few times to see if the fan will start running?

Of course, I might have the symptoms wrong. Your clarification of what is happening might be helpful.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I guess a proof-read would have been in order. You are correct, I meant when I "turn on" the AC or vent only mode. I have tried moving the fan speed switch back and forth and that does not fix.

Today, I bought a new cabin air filter and went to install it and amazingly, there was NO air filter installed!????

You mention the contacts on the brushes- how should I go about checking that? Any pics or exploded diagram views?

Thanks again for your reply to my post.

·
Premium Member
2001 VDC/SC One of a Kind
14,317 Posts
Before tearing parts apart, get a volt/ohm meter to test the circuits to find the problem.

Components involved are fuses, switch, relay, fan resistor and fan motor. See diagram below.

Its not a fuse unless the fuse is separated and sporatically closes. Its not the relay, they either work or don't.

You can rule out the fan simply by hot wiring it to ground and battery. If it starts up and runs, its most likely not the issue.

Also, see the diagrams for the resistor pin orientation and their respective resistance.

Then check for ground circuit from the switch to the resistor.

Attachments

1 - 4 of 4 Posts