Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hi All,

I'm having this problem for 3-4 month now on my Legacy Outback 2006 H4 2.5i and I couldn't find the cure just yet:
ACC is blinking on Clock module after car is turned off with alarm activated for 30 seconds. Then ACC message is changed with ERR message that isn't going away until I start the car. Passenger Airbag LED is illuminated all the time. Real problem is my battery is drained within 24-48 hours.

Done so far:
1) Battery replaced 2 times in 3 month to eliminate bad battery.
2) Alternator is checked and found 100% operational.
3) Clock assembly replaced.
4) All fuses inspected visually and with a multi-meter in both Engine and Cabin fuse boxes.

Please advise.

·
Registered
18,300 Posts
When the clock module is displaying ACC, it's indicating a loss of power.

There was a thread here recently with similar, if not the same, symptoms. It was traced to damaged wiring. See: http://www.subaruoutback.org/forums...igation/51567-security-light-permanently.html. The first few posts are the intial attempts to figure it out; the solution and rationale are found beginning at post #22.

This doesn't mean the cause of your problem will be the same damaged wiring, but it does suggest that your car has a similar type of fault that's causing a short between the power wires.

Hope this helps . . . let us know what you find . . .

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Update

Hi Plain Om,

Thanks for the great insight. I've spent a few hours with my subie but still didn't figure out the source of my problem. I've printed the Vacation Pix wiring diagrams and tried to pin point the problem by disconnecting the plugs and taking out the fuses involved in the relevant diagrams. All 3 ACC plugs are fine (Cigar, Console Box and Rear), meaning they can power up a connected device when ignition is in ACC/ON position and do not power anything when in OFF position.

I was unable to affect the Passenger Airbag LED being illuminated all the time. However I've noticed that when I pull the Fuse No. 4 in Cabin F/B the message ACC and Later ERR disappear. I couldn't see anything that stopped working with Fuse No. 4 outside. ODBII (B40) is operational, Reverse/Stop signal is functional, Clock shows everything, no CELs displayed, Car drives fine, Radio/Wipers/Defrosters... all OK. How can you explain that?

I've disassembled my Passenger seat and disconnected all the connectors - Passenger Airbag LED was still illuminated. All the connectors look brand new and there are no signs of any wear.

I think I'm missing a fundamental approach to narrow down my search to one specific connector. Can someone help me out with a good educational material of hunting down an open/short? It seems impossible to test all the wiring in the car - way too many...

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
Checked the MapLight console

Hi Rasterman,

Thanks for the link. I've disassembled the MapLights console and tested out the PCB. All the LEDs are completely fine. They all light up one by one when I send power on pole 1 of the connector and touch another pole to complete the circuit with Voltmeter in continuity test. Since current is lower than the original - they light up dim. No cracks, no loose wiring, looks brand new with no signs of corrosion.... Tested continuity of all wires - perfect.
The Problem is LED number 2 (Passenger AirBag) always stays lit - the connector has power on it all the time even when car is switched OFF. I've replaced the Central console (clock assy) with one from Legacy. It has a Passenger Airbag LED on the clock assy itself - it's also always on. Probably there is something in the circuit - not a malfunction of MapLights PCB.
Ideas?

I've found a thing that has changed after I've removed Fuse no. 4 - tail gate lock isn't being unlocked by pressing unlock button on a remote twice (like passenger door would). Luckily I have an "open trunk" button on a remote that works just right. Why?..

·
Registered
18,300 Posts
The Problem is LED number 2 (Passenger AirBag) always stays lit - the connector has power on it all the time even when car is switched OFF.
I don't have the wiring diagram for the 2006. Based on my MY2007 diagrams, there's shouldn't be power to the LEDs when the car is switched Off. Also, the power for the LED comes from fuse #4, so if the LED remains on when fuse #4 is out, it would mean there's a short to a 12 V "always-on" source downstream of the fuse. But there could have been a change between 06 and 07, so I'm at a relative loss at this point.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts