Subaru Outback Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2012 Outback Limited with the 2.5 motor which on two occasions while holding the brake down, the motor has tried to accelerate. The dealer says it is a vacuum problem with no solution. I feel it is a hazard. Any thoughts?

·
Registered
2012 limited, white, no moonroof or nav
1,696 Posts
I have a 2012 Outback Limited with the 2.5 motor which on two occasions while holding the brake down, the motor has tried to accelerate. The dealer says it is a vacuum problem with no solution. I feel it is a hazard. Any thoughts?
Uh, go to the next closest dealer? I assure you, if it is truly a vacuum issue, there is definitely a solution. I have the same car.........it does not do this. If you do not have another dealer within range, call Subaru and start a case. Mention Toyota's problem from a couple of years ago.....I bet they have a rep meet you at the dealer, at your earliest convenience.
Good luck.

·
Registered
22,802 Posts
Any chance the Defrost or AC is on when it does this? Turn off the entire HVAC system and see if it still lurches forward on you.

I've seen a few people friends wives complain about the same thing with various cars the larger the engine the more common the complaint seems. The CVT torque converter does put some load on the wheels and the ECU controlling engine idle speeds does adjust the engine some when your off the throttle as with all new cars with drive by wire systems and advanced emissions systems. Your observation could be normal behavior depending on how hard the car lunges forward when off the throttle.

Don't laugh but I need to ask which foot do you brake with?

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Right Foot

I brake with my right foot and I looked down to make sure that my foot was not touching the accelerator pedal. It accelerates enough that I have to really mash down on the brake to keep from lunging forward and hitting the car in front of me. When it happened this last time, the heat was on and we were sitting on a slight incline waiting to move. When I started to release the brake and than had to put it back on, this is when it starting to rev up.

·
Registered
2012 limited, white, no moonroof or nav
1,696 Posts
The description you are giving matches a leak in the power brake system. You could very well have a bad diaphragm in the booster unit itself.

I would not put this off. Go to a dealer with a competent service writer. You could try the dealer where you already went, and see if you can talk to a wrench, rather than the bozo on the desk. Any mechanic that passed a high school shop course should recognize where the problem is. Good luck.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts