Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm having an issue accelerating my 2006 Outback. This issues has been a minor sputter for a while; when I accelerate, it just doesn't seem like it's getting enough gas - it sputters, lurches, etc. until it comes into it. I've ruled out bad gas, as I have gone through a few tanks and the issue persists. Recently, it has gotten worse, to the point where it bucks hard in first and second gear. CEL code is reading P0131 & P0037, which has something to do with the 02 sensor. Could this affect the gas intake? Any thoughts?

·
Registered
2006 Subaru Outback Wagon 2.5L XT Limited
196 Posts
There could be alot of things that could be the problem. I was in the same problem as you. First I would get the bucking if I held my foot at 2~4% accelerator pedal. Then It started doing it from 0- 4%, from a dead stop. I have a 02 gauge, which I was monitoring while this was happening. I noticed, as I put my foot on the gas, the number would go down to 12.0/13.0 then back up to 15.6 then back to 14.7. The number is always suppose to be at/around 14.7 which is air/fuel ratio, unless you are under heavy acceleration. First what happened, the Passenger's cam sensor went bad, with the turbo heat, But after replacing the passenger's cam sensor, I still had the same problem. Then I decided to replace the Air/fuel 02 sensor, which is in the exhaust manifold, behind the passenger front wheel. This kinda-of fixed my problem for a week, but then the problem came back again. Even though, I did not get a code for the Drivers side Cam sensor, I decided to replace it and that fixed my issue.

Of-course before starting at the cam sensors or 02 sensors you probably would want to start with the cheapest solutions first: starting with the Air filter first and cleaning the Map/MAF sensor. Then checking spark plugs and checking their tolerances, maybe replacing them. Then could try changing out the 02 sensor (Air/fuel) and see if that fixes the problem. After that would be Coil packs, spark plug wires, ignition coil, spark plug boots and cam sensors. Normally I would say fuel filter, however on our cars, the fuel filter is in the Gas Tank. So that would cost more than 20usd. Of-course I have the turbo engine and I don't know if yours is Turbo, N.A 4-clyinder, or N.A 6-clyinder engine.

·
Registered
6,096 Posts
Those two codes point to the front O2 sensor. Could be the sensor, the wiring from the sensor or sometimes an exhaust leak in front of the sensor.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
Thanks for your comprehensive reply! Mine is a 4 cylinder - not a turbo. There is a little more to the story. I was getting a bit of jerky hesitation, as I said, but didn't think too much of it. Then, after bringing it in for a sticker, the mechanic noticed that I have 3 new spark plug wires and one old one - and... the old one was not plugged in (the previous owner did much of the work himself). The mechanic plugged it in, and after doing some other work (rear brakes, exhaust), the bucking/hesitation was more pronounced. Do you think the spark plug and/or old wire is bad?

·
Premium Member
2001 VDC/SC One of a Kind
14,471 Posts
This is a manual trans?

Those codes together, first place to go is the battery and grounding. I'd be on a weak battery and/or bad battery cables.

Next would be check the fuel pump assembly for the pressure bowl seal to be popped out or the cap cracked. Has anyone checked fuel pressure and flow?

Next would be the electrical system starting with the harness connection on the passenger side of the engine, back side of the head. Look for cracked and/or chaffing harness wrap, usually where the harness goes under the intake manifold.

After that, post up what you find.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
This is a manual trans?

Those codes together, first place to go is the battery and grounding. I'd be on a weak battery and/or bad battery cables.

Next would be check the fuel pump assembly for the pressure bowl seal to be popped out or the cap cracked. Has anyone checked fuel pressure and flow?

Next would be the electrical system starting with the harness connection on the passenger side of the engine, back side of the head. Look for cracked and/or chaffing harness wrap, usually where the harness goes under the intake manifold.

After that, post up what you find.
Yes, this is a manual transmission. I just got a new battery, but I'm not sure they checked the cables. I'll look into that and then the fuel pump assembly. It's under the rear bench, right? I don't know how to check fuel pressure and flow, however, so I might bring it back in. Thanks for your help.

·
Premium Member
2001 VDC/SC One of a Kind
14,471 Posts
Fuel module is accessed under the rear bench. 4 Philips head screws and some 8 mm screws along with the plug and the hoses.

It wouldn't surprise me if the cables are corroded.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thank you all - FYI. This was an issue with the air-flow sensor. The mechanic replaced it, and the the car is running fine.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts